Series 70 (1973) Satin Combat Commander.

I'm curious whether the Series 70 "Commander" and its Colt ilk pistol has the same collet-style bushing the Gold Cup variants came with in that era.

my original one had the three finger collet and it was super tight, requiring a special tool to remove it. This looks pretty much like my other 1911's. solid collet.

my original one had the three finger collet and it was super tight, requiring a special tool to remove it. This looks pretty much like my other 1911's. solid collet.
The Series 70's did not require a "special tool" to remove the collet bushing. A standard bushing tool or even the rounded fore-part of a standard G.I. magazine floor plate would turn it to the unlocked position provided one follow the correct procedure of pushing the slide reward until the collet was clear of the enlarged portion of the barrel.

I found that my Series 70 Mark IV Government Model with its collet bushing was less difficult to remove if the slide was pushed back as posted above than is a tightly fitted solid target bushing is in one of my other 1911's.

I'm curious whether the Series 70 "Commander" and its Colt ilk pistol has the same collet-style bushing the Gold Cup variants came with in that era.
No, only the full-length Series 70 models had the collet bushing...the Commanders had solid bushings.

The Series 70's did not require a "special tool" to remove the collet bushing. A standard bushing tool or even the rounded fore-part of a standard G.I. magazine floor plate would turn it to the unlocked position provided one follow the correct procedure of pushing the slide reward until the collet was clear of the enlarged portion of the barrel.

I found that my Series 70 Mark IV Government Model with its collet bushing was less difficult to remove if the slide was pushed back as posted above than is a tightly fitted solid target bushing is in one of my other 1911's.
by 'special tool' I was referring to the bushing tool. I was not the original owner so I don't know if the colllet was from the factory.

Bar-Sto made collet bushings for their Commander barrels, so there are Commanders with collets, just not from Colt.

I think one cause of collet breakage was horsing the bushing around with a wrench and not retracting the slide to let the fingers relax. That and yanking the bushing off the barrel.
Mr Stone said the latter was why he quit offering Barsto Commander collet barrels.

Sarge, that is a clean example. I bought a new "Satin Chrome" Combat Commander in .38 Super back in the early '70s. Definitely regular nickel over a coarse surface prep. The later electroless nickel versions had a much finer finish. Had a Government Model with the electroless finish, much different. As already mentioned, though BarSto did produce Commander barrels early on with with collet bushings, the Commanders did not have factory installed collet bushings.

Take care of that one. I occasionally ran across "SC" Commanders out on the street or in the property and evidence room, etc. and would have to agree with Jim Watson that Commanders with that finish show every little scuff, scratch, wear, and lack of maintenance more than any finish I'm aware of.

Had one similar -- A Bobby Shipley special -- basically that gun with high polish flats and gold cup fire control group. Man I am sad I sold that...

I have a 70 series mark IV came with the collet bushing , the barrel OD at the muzzel down about one half inch is slightly larger , the commander wasn't set up for the collet bushing . You could rack the slide nuch easier . Both are great pistols .

I have one of the Combat Commanders in satin nickel and it is a great shooter. One of my all time favorites.

Cool Colt satin, i have been looking for one for a long time now, checked GB for quite sometime but haven't been so lucky.
I was stunned to find one in this condition for a price that I could afford. I wish the box had still existed but if it had it would have probably been out of my reach.

Yea! Got my Colt back from my buddy. As usual, he did a masterful job. The trigger is now excellent (but really not better than my ATI)

One thing I noticed after yesterdays trials. After about forty rounds or so, accuracy began to drop off of bit. This could easily be operator error but I didn't seem to get the same with my ATI.

Am I glad I found it, you betcha. I suspect it will see a lot more safe time than my ATI. Mostly this would be because the more I use the Colt the more likely I will damage the finish and decrease the value.

One other thing. For some reason the Colt hates Federal Aluminum and groups open way up. Not so much with the ATI. Both are equally accurate with standard ammo and my favorite carry round from PPU.

After about forty rounds or so, accuracy began to drop off of bit.

For some reason the Colt hates Federal Aluminum and groups open way up.

The type of ammunition used in terms of accuracy shouldn't change much over time. Other factors (shooter fatigue, increased fouling, etc.) would seem to me to be much more relevant if accuracy is "dropping off" or if groups begin opening "way up."

I bought mine new in the box in 1978 for $260 out the door. First thing I noticed was that the satin nickel sights were very hard to see in daylight. Took the gun down to the MMC shop in Ft. Worth and watched the guy install MMC Combat sights on it. Best mod I ever made. Still have the original sights in a box somewhere. It's been a great gun.

S8EYcrA.jpg

I bought mine new in the box in 1978 for $260 out the door. First thing I noticed was that the satin nickel sights were very hard to see in daylight. Took the gun down to the MMC shop in Ft. Worth and watched the guy install MMC Combat sights on it. Best mod I ever made. Still have the original sights in a box somewhere. It's been a great gun.

S8EYcrA.jpg
your finish seems a lot smoother and 'bluer' than mine. Mine was shipped in 1973 but may have been made in 1972.

Back