Senate Rejects Immigration Reform Bill

Hard Ball

The senate, after heated debate, just rejected the Immigration Reform Bill by a vote of 53 to 46. This effectively killed the current bill.

I'm glad this bad legislation is dead for now, but something still needs to be done. Since amnesty was the big sticking point, why not forget about the illegals already here for now and get on with the job of securing the southern border? Unless, as I suspect, all that cheap labor trumps national security.

Voice of America

This is CNN's story on the defeat of the bill.

http://www.cnn.com/

This is a wake up call to our Washington politicians. Middle class America still runs this country....not a bunch of street protest marchers.

Bush & Teddy need a long vacation in sunny Mexico.:D

I'm glad this bad legislation is dead for now, but something still needs to be done.

Agree. But first.....secure our borders & enforce existing laws against employers of illegals. Then look at how we handle the 12 plus that are here. I don't think we are going to bus them back to Mexico, so we do need a fair solution....but don't bargain with our border security to have that solution.

INTERVIEW with an illegal Mexican

Here is a REAL INTERVIEW with an illegal Mexican at a protest march in Texas.

Trying to reason with an Illegal Mexican. This is good! Below is a good example of a discussion with a master of circular logic. Don't be logical, don't respect the truth or your adversary, just say what you think makes a new case when the previous case gets too difficult to defend. On the streets of downtown Houston , May 1, 2006 .

Jim Moore reporting for a Houston TV station:

Jim: Juan, I see that you and thousands of other protesters are marching in the streets to demonstrate for your cause. Exactly what is your cause and what do you expect to accomplish by this protest?

Juan: We want our rights. We will show you how powerful we are. We will bring Houston to its knees!

Jim: What rights?

Juan: Our right to live here...legally. Our right to get all the benefits you get .

Jim: When did you come to the United States ?

Juan: Six years ago. I crossed over the border at night with seven other friends.

Jim: Why did you come?

Juan: For work. I can earn as much in a month as I could in a year in Mexico . Besides, I get free health care, our Mexican children can go to school free, if I lose my job I will get Welfare, and someday I will have the Social Security. Nothing like that in Mexico!

Jim: Did you feel badly about breaking our immigration laws when you came?

Juan: No! Why should I feel bad? I have a right to be here. I have a right to amnesty. I paid lots of money for my Social Security and Green Cards.

Jim: How did you acquire those documents?

Juan: From a guy in Dallas . He charged me a lot of money too.

Jim: Did you know that those documents were forged?

Juan: It is of no matter. I have a right to be here and work.

Jim: What is the "right" you speak of?

Juan: The right of all Aliens. It is found in your Constitution. Read it!

Jim: I have read it, but I do not remember it saying anything about rights for Aliens.

Juan: It is in that part where it says that all men have Alien rights, like the right to pursue happiness. I wasn't happy in Mexico , so I came here.

Jim: I think you are referring to the declaration of Independence and that document speaks to unalienable rights .. Not Alien rights.

Juan: Whatever.

Jim: Since you are demanding to become an American citizen, why then are you carrying a Mexican Flag?

Juan: Because I am Mexican.

Jim: But you said you want to be given amnesty ... to become a US citizen.

Juan: No. This is not what we want. This is our country, a part of Mexico that you Gringos stole from us. We want it returned to its rightful owner.

Jim: Juan, you are standing in Texas . After wining the war with Mexico , Texas became a Republic, and later Texans voted to join the USA . It was not stolen from Mexico .

Juan: That is a Gringo lie. Texas was stolen. So was California , New Mexico and Arizona . It is just like all the other stuff you Gringos steal, like oil and babies. You are a country of thieves.

Jim: Babies? You think we steal babies?

Juan: Sure. Like from Korea and Vietnam and China . I see them all over the place. You let all these foreigners in, but try to keep us Mexicans out. How is this fair?

Jim: So, you really don't want to become an American citizen then.

Juan: I just want my rights! Everyone has a right to live, work, and speak their native language wherever and whenever they please. That's another thing we demand. All signs and official documents should be in Spanish . Teachers must teach in Spanish. Soon, more people here in Houston will speak Spanish than English. It is our right!

Jim: If I were to cross over the border into Mexico without proper documentation, what rights would I have there?

Juan: None. You would probably go to jail, but that's different.

Jim: How is it different? You said everyone has the right to live wherever they please.

Juan: You Gringos are a bunch of land grabbing thieves. Now you want Mexico too? Mexico has its rights. You Gringos have no rights in Mexico . Why would you want to go there anyway? There is no free medical service, schools, or welfare there for foreigners such as you. You cannot even own land in my country. Stay in the country of your birth.

Jim: I can see that there is no way that we can agree on this issue. Thank you for your comments.

Juan: Viva Mexico!

You will not see this heart-stopping photo on the front page of the NY Times or on the lead story of the major news networks. The protestors put up the Mexican flag over the American flag flying upside down at Montebello High School in California .

Of my state. Sununu (R) voted Nay as I expected.
But Gregg (R) voted Yea.

He's finished. Yet another RINO. I look forward to voting for his replacement.

I don't know who he thought he was appealing to, besides the illegals that have been arrested for trashing Nashua, beating a native wearing their "colors", and having machete fights lately.

Don't bother with posting the transcript of a news report without posting the link from which it came. I won't waste my time reading unattributed "news".

The bill was flawed for too many reasons. There's just more compromise than congress can handle. I have difficulties understanding why there can't be two bills, one to deal with the border security and a separate one to deal with immigrations.

Granted, they're related issues, but the illegal immigigrants aren't all sneaking across the borders. Many come here and then 'forget' their Visas have expired (convenient/).

Immigration is not necessarily a security issue, the porus borders are serious security issues in todays world.

Don't bother with posting the transcript of a news report without posting the link fr

Jim Moore was reporting for KHOU-TV here in Houston where I live during the great day of Mexican Independence here in Houston an elsewhere where they (mexican illegals) planned to stop our economy by not buying anything that day. Unfortunately Jim no longer works for the Station and KHOU would never dream of publishing this report that many of us here in Houston heard on TV.

Of course an Illegal would never state such a thing on TV... the Principal at one of our schools here in Houston did not fly a Mexican Flag that day either. BTW: he was never disciplined and that too is an urban myth -- guess I did not see that on TV either since they decided not to publish it?

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 110th Congress - 1st Session

as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate

Vote Summary

Question: On the Cloture Motion (Motion to Invoke Cloture on S.1639 )
Vote Number: 235 Vote Date: June 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
Required For Majority: 3/5 Vote Result: Cloture Motion Rejected
Measure Number: S. 1639
Measure Title: A bill to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes.
Vote Counts: YEAs 46
NAYs 53
Not Voting 1
Vote Summary By Senator Name By Vote Position By Home State

Alphabetical by Senator Name Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Alexander (R-TN), Nay
Allard (R-CO), Nay
Barrasso (R-WY), Nay
Baucus (D-MT), Nay
Bayh (D-IN), Nay
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Bond (R-MO), Nay
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Brown (D-OH), Nay
Brownback (R-KS), Nay
Bunning (R-KY), Nay
Burr (R-NC), Nay
Byrd (D-WV), Nay
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Cardin (D-MD), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Chambliss (R-GA), Nay
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Coburn (R-OK), Nay
Cochran (R-MS), Nay
Coleman (R-MN), Nay
Collins (R-ME), Nay
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corker (R-TN), Nay
Cornyn (R-TX), Nay
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Nay
DeMint (R-SC), Nay
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Dole (R-NC), Nay
Domenici (R-NM), Nay
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Ensign (R-NV), Nay
Enzi (R-WY), Nay
Feingold (D-WI), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Nay
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Nay
Hutchison (R-TX), Nay
Inhofe (R-OK), Nay
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Isakson (R-GA), Nay
Johnson (D-SD), Not Voting
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Nay
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Lott (R-MS), Yea
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Martinez (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
McConnell (R-KY), Nay
Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Murkowski (R-AK), Nay
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Nelson (D-NE), Nay
Obama (D-IL), Yea
Pryor (D-AR), Nay
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Roberts (R-KS), Nay
Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
Salazar (D-CO), Yea
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Sessions (R-AL), Nay
Shelby (R-AL), Nay
Smith (R-OR), Nay
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Stevens (R-AK), Nay
Sununu (R-NH), Nay
Tester (D-MT), Nay
Thune (R-SD), Nay
Vitter (R-LA), Nay
Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Warner (R-VA), Nay
Webb (D-VA), Nay
Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Yea

Hard Ball said:
Senate Rejects Amnesty Bill
There. I fixed your thread title! :D

This bill was not "reform" in any manner. It was the same type of amnesty that was offered in '86 (to "fix" the problem) that failed miserably.... Actually, it was worse. Worse in that it held border security hostage to the amnesty.

Note the following list of Republicans. They voted for this POS bill:

Bennett (R-UT)
Craig (R-ID)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)

I can't say about anyone else, but I will be working to unseat Senator Craig. As good as he might be for RKBA, he is a turncoat to American Security.

Shouldn't it be "Rejects"?

And yes, I'll be working to throw Gregg out, too. In favor of a real conservative. I've already sent their office a letter that he's lost the support of myself and all of my friends, and that we look forward to voting for and electing his replacement next election cycle.

And finished with "Good day...or Buenos Dias, if as indicated by his vote, that's more to his tastes."

Edit: Yes it should... that's what I get for copying/pasting and not reading. - Antipitas

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that that nasty immigration bill is out of the way, as a SC resident, I have message to Lindsey Graham.

Since you will be un-employed soon, I understand La Raza has an opening for public relations manager. Let me be the first to bid you farewell and good luck on your new job.

Dems voting yes...

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Cardin (D-MD), Yea
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Yea
Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Obama (D-IL), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Yea
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Salazar (D-CO), Yea
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Yea

And I agree vote out all those who would sell out our Country...

"Legal immigration is one of the top concerns of the American people, and Congress' failure to act on it is a disappointment," Bush said after the vote.

:barf:

Hey, Jorge?

pretzel.jpg
pretzel.jpg
pretzel.jpg
pretzel.jpg

Have some! Hecho en Mexico!

The PR hack for La Raza has a day job now: AG Alberto Gonzales. Former Senator Graham will have to wait for a judicial appointment from a democrat administration. Rumor has it he is angling for AG or a SCOTUS gig.

Back