Selling off collection due to illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear

Sorry to hear of your medical travails. Prayers out to you and your family.
There is a seller on GunBroker that goes by the handle of "Locust Fork" that is first rate at selling personal collections. Not sure where you are located but I think she is in GA. I would trust her with my collection when my time comes.
I am not related or connected to her in any way. Just know her reputation by reading the forums at GB. JA

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your illness. For whatever path it takes, may it go as smoothly as possible.

However, this is more of a discussion on how to properly liquidate your collection, and I'm going to move it up to General Discussions, where I think it will get more action.

Best of luck.

gilfo...I am truly sorry to hear of your situation. I have already sent a prayer for you and your family and I will add you all to my prayer list.

Sorry, I really don't have a suggestion to help with your liquidating your collection

GOD bless you and your family.

Sir,
I have picked up many a nice firearm at estate sales at a fraction of their real value. You don't want this to happen to your collection.

Please review Pahoo's post and act on it.

My prayers are with you.

Another Thought

Sorry to hear about this.

Just another thought from personal experience. My grandfather went through a similar situation and had the same initial reaction of needing to raise money for his family. He immediately began selling off treasured possessions. Luckily for us a good friend of his stopped him and got him some assistance through the community and church and while he did end up selling off some things he was able to pass down the important items to his family many years later.

My absolute favorite gun is an old .22 i used to shoot with my grandfather. Its not the best shooter in the world and it sure isnt the prettiest thing in my safe you better believe it will be the last thing in my safe.

Given the sheer number of go fund me websites and the amount of support and generosity the firearm community is willing to offer I would strongly suggest you look at that route.

A lot of us can spare $1-2 with out a second thought and knowing that my donation would help save a keepsake for your family i would be the first in line.

My prayers to you and your family. I don't blame you for wanting to sell your firearms and I admire you for your strength in putting your family first.
With that said, I hope your not giving up, medical miracles through Gods grace happen all the time. I pray that we get to see posts from you trying to replace your sold collection because you whipped this cancer.

Sorry to hear of your condition.

If it helps any, I'm not all that far from it myself. (I've got end stage COPD & it's a real sucky way to check out...)

Keep swinging & don't let the - stuff - get the better of you!

The "For sale" section here is a good place to list things.

You could also try having a fundraiser / raffle, That could potentially yield much more then the guns are worth normally.

As someone said before, I don't know you but I'd be willing to pay more than a gun was worth in a situation like this. I'm sure someone in your town (maybe at the fire dept) would be willing to host an auction like this for you.

As others have stated, best return for your wife would be to put your items on Gunbroker.

Do you have any trusted "gun nut" friends or family members that could handle it for you? That would probably be the most practical option.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Any one of us can be struck down at any moment, and too few of us take the time to really appreciate our gift of life. I wish you strength and hope.

I think you are wise to try to sell off your guns while you can. I know that if I passed, my wife, who is totally ignorant and uncomfortable around firearms, would likely take them to the nearest shop like Gander Mountain and get pennies on the dollar for these guns. Even if I leave a list with expected values, based on Gunbroker for example, she would be so anxious to just be done with them that she would lose out significantly. I would do what I am seeing that you plan to do and sell them now, other than possibly one firearm for home defense.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Sorry to hear that Gilfo.

I would try selling first on Gunbroker.

Pros:
1. You could set a reserve price that would be a "bottom floor." Let the market decide if you think too highly of your collection. If you go to a pawn shop or some location, you will receive their "top dollar" and their price will reflect that they will try to turn around and make 30 to 100% profit.

2. You can control the buyers' expectations. You can also dictate terms of payment and tell the buyer that nothing will ship until the $ passes.

3. Generally criminals don't like to leave a paper trail, so the buyer will probably not be straw purchasing or buying for criminal intent.

Just random thoughts.

Gilfo, my prayers go out to you, your wife and daughters. My mother-in-law had lung cancer that metastasized to her brain too.

You have been given good advice here as well as in the other forum where I read your post. Since you are an experienced seller, I suspect you have an idea of your collection pieces individual worth. If not, the following link may be of some guidance....

https://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Subscriptions/Online_Subscription_Start.aspx

I feel you are probably pretty good at judging one's character. However, by the sounds of it, your health situation may interfere with selling items. Time may be better spent with treatment and family.

Do you know of any individuals at your regular local range tha can help you? I understand you live in Orlando, FL. You might want to contact the NRA representative that covers that area for suggestions. I understand your wife actively shoots as well. Therefore, I suspect she knows the value of your inventory and is capable of dealing with an auctioneer or dealer if you put any of the items on consignment.

Again, my prayers are with you and your family.

My wife and I will pray for you. May the Lord give comfort to you and your family through this difficult time. I would like to know if you setup a go-fund me or some where else I could send a donation to help out you and your family.

Our prayers will be with you and your family. My mother was beset by the same exact situation as yourself. Very sorry to hear what has happened to you. You have some good advice from the guys on selling your gun. I have nothing to add in that regard. I wish you the best in trying to accomplish what you have set out to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back