Seating into the lands , Pressures & velocities

...you guys way over complicate this stuff. How it prints on paper will tell you the best load and hard bolt lift/chrono speeds will give you signs on overpressure

Ditto, as well as high pressure signs on brass.

Don

Said it before and I will say it again, you guys way over complicate this stuff. How it prints on paper will tell you the best load and hard bolt lift/chrono speeds will give you signs on overpressure

I agree we/I can over think things sometimes . However I don't think that is the case here . The conclusions of that thinking may have not produced the results expected or wanted but that does not mean those thoughts should not have been considered .

Lets break down that quote as I see and how it relates to my recent work up .

How it prints on paper will tell you the best load

Agreed 100% and is what I was looking for and explained in detail why I was going to start in the lands because the ultimate goal was going to be adjusting seating depth to get the best print on paper

hard bolt lift/chrono speeds will give you signs on overpressure

Instead of saying 100% correct I'll say yes that can be very helpful in determining the safety of the load . This is in fact where all the over complicating came in and I disagree with that term in this instance .

I was using a more "advanced" way of load development that is outside the traditional recommended way of starting a new load . Not only that , these were components I've never used together in a rifle I've only worked up one load for . Meaning I did not have any experience with the characteristics of this combination of components and very little experience with the rifle as far as how it reloads .

Ok so I'm going against recommended reloading practices with components I've never used before in a rifle I was not sure how it would react to all that .

It seemed reasonable to error on the side of caution and reduce the charge seeing how everything I had read and experienced to date said seating into the lands will raise start pressures and was the catalyst for starting this thread . This was all about safety and it worked to that extent but the overall outcome was disappointing as a whole but I did learn some stuff about these components in this rifle and that's always good .

Who knows I could be over thinking this but I'm not sure , I'll have to think on that .

X3zjD7.gif

Overthinking is often how you wind up finally understanding something. It may be overthinking for the purposes of this particular project, but once you understand, you have something much easier to apply on the next project and a foundation for deciding whether it matters to that project or not.

So I’m trying to figure out what my next move/experiment will be in this saga. I’m torn between either continuing the experiment of seating depth or just starting over at magazine depth .

My continued experimentation would be something like do enough 40,000 jam 20,000 jam touching the lands 20 off the land 40 off the lands 60 off the lands all with the same charge and see what velocities I get . This would be to generally get an understanding of the pressures involved as it relates to deep in the Landsby all the way to way off the lands . This would be assuming velocity is representative of pressure with all other things being equal except seating depth ?????

Back