scope levels

That is a very enlightening article, thanks for posting it stagpanther.

Here's the meat and potatoes of it.

I recently received the little .260 Remington, and while I could not get factory loads to shoot under 1½ inches, I had no problem finding a handload using Sierra 120-grain bullets that shot under one inch. I did not measure the velocity, but I am sure it was nothing to write home about. No matter … I wanted to see what effect canting would have, and a rifle with a high trajectory at 400 yards would definitely show any ill effects.

I went out to my local shooting range and zeroed the rifle at 400 yards when ScopLevel #1 read level. I shot several groups to be sure of the zero. Next, I rotated the rifle until ScopLevel #2 read level. This produced a cant of 5°. I shot several groups at 400 yards with the canted rifle, and measured the effects.

The results? Surprising, to say the least. When canted, the bullets struck about 4 inches to one side. I expected some horizontal movement. But I did not expect the vertical movement to be as large as it was — the vertical impact averaged 3.75 inches low!

The .260 Remington is a cute little cartridge, but it is certainly no barnburner. I took out one of my 7mm Remington Magnums. This is one of the guns I shoot religiously every week at long range. I usually go to the range, place a target, and then try to guess how the environmental conditions will affect my bullet (I use a laser rangefinder, so the range is not a problem). On that particular day when I shot without any canting, my bullets hit 2 inches to the left and 3.5 inches high at 700 yards. I then shot with the rifle canted 5°. The results were astounding.

The bullets hit 6 inches to the right of the uncanted shots, but 8 inches low. The next week I broke out my .220 Swift, which at 700 yards has a trajectory similar to the 7mm. Its bullets hit 7 inches low when canted 5°. Both groups were under ½ moa. Further shooting confirmed my initial results.

All three rifles hit much lower than trigonometry calculations would have predicted. I cannot figure out why. The horizontal displacement was just about what I expected (my shooting was done in early morning under calm conditions), but the vertical displacement is difficult to explain. Certainly my shooting results are not statistically valid, but they were ther nonetheless.

Last edited:
I have a drawer full of gizmo's to try and level the scope on rifles, in br it starts with getting the target stapled to the stand perfectly level, occasionally I'll set the horizontal crosshair to match the top of the target and the vertical one to match the side of the target, then simply crank the target knob up and the crosshair should go straight down the edge of the target, if it veers off left or right something is wrong.

I have a drawer full of gizmo's to try and level the scope on rifles, in br it starts with getting the target stapled to the stand perfectly level, occasionally I'll set the horizontal crosshair to match the top of the target and the vertical one to match the side of the target, then simply crank the target knob up and the crosshair should go straight down the edge of the target, if it veers off left or right something is wrong.
So far, so good. If the crosshairs don't track the paper edge, send the scope back to its factory asking them to twist the reticle cell in its mount so it does.

How do you level the rifle to get the scope rings centered above the bore center?

Last edited:
Most of the time I use that mickey mouse reticle leveler in the picture to get started.
Getting a scope reticle perfectly level can be problematic on a bolt gun, much easier on an AR with a rail. I've intentionally turned the action in the stock when bedding a bolt gun for silhouette so that I could cant the stock into my body, that made benching the gun to get zero's a pia.
I like those Weaver one piece rails that fit on Remington 700's, if you have quick detach or semi-quick detacable rings get the gun secure on the bags, pull the scope and put a torpedo level on the top of the base and level the gun, set the scope back on top of the base and see if the crosshairs match the leveled target.
If your at your own range you can set your crosshairs on a leveled target, open the bolt and walk out in front of the gun with a plumb bob and look to see if the barrel is directly below the scope.
I've seen bolt guns that the scope base holes were not perfectly centered on top of the action that is the action was turned when the jig was set up for drilling, those guns get sold btw.
A lot of the rimfires have the option of putting a DIP rail over the 22 or 11mm rail, the leveling process becomes the same as a AR then, easy.
Some times the reticle is turned in the scope, I've sent a few of those back to Leupold to have that corrected, set the reticle level and the target turret is canted.
I don't have one set way to do it in a nutshell.

I find it's easy to level bolt guns by mounting a flat top scope base on the receiver then put a level on it.

Clamp the leveled rifle in a vise then level the scope on it. Align the rifle on a plumb line then verify alignment looking through the scope. Move scope elevation knob to see how it tracks the plumb line.

Here a good educational tool to learn how scopes work:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4643542A/en

Last edited:
I find it's easy to level bolt guns by mounting a flat top scope base on the receiver then put a level on it.

Clamp the leveled rifle in a vise then level the scope on it. Align the rifle on a plumb line then verify alignment looking through the scope. Move scope elevation knob to see how it tracks the plumb line.

Here a good educational tool to learn how scopes work:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4643542A/en
I do it same way except use a floating laser.

Does "boresighted" mean the bore axis and LOS intersect at 100 yards?

How much bullet drop from the bore axis is there?
Boresight means the virtual point of impact you would hit you looked down the bore seeing the POI. AKA where a laser boresight tool says is the POI.

Boresight means the virtual point of impact you would hit you looked down the bore seeing the POI. AKA where a laser boresight tool says is the POI.
I think this is what you mean .......

Point of impact is always below bore axis where laser beam points due to gravity.

The laser beam is the line of fire and boresighting is aligning the sight to that place on the target.

Last edited:
And the sights be it open or scope is above the bore which contributes to the impact being below it as well as gravity.

I think this is what you mean .......

Point of impact is always below bore axis where laser beam points due to gravity.

The laser beam is the line of fire and boresighting is aligning the sight to that place on the target.
I've always heard 'boresight' as what you see looking through the bore. Just like they 'boresight' the gun on an Abrams Tank to see exactly where the barrel is pointing, and not to see an error due to gravity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boresight_(firearm)#/media/File:DA-SD-06-06814.jpg

But hey, lots of words have multiple meanings.

I recently tried one after sixty years of shooting precision rifle. They’re of little value in my opinion. You have to come off gun to look at them for one thing, and group size did not improve. They sound better in theory than they deliver in actuality.
Anti can't levels are a must for any precision shooter. Like others have posted , any anti and your DOPE is off. Not very precision then or accurate .

If you have to move at all, come off the gun, you have the wrong anti can't level. I never have to do more than open my support side eye and verify my gun is level.

Sounds like a lot of you guys aren't using a good bipod technique or one that swivels with a lock... learn to use a bipod and the anti cant level will improve your shooting significantly

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

People have shot 20 or more bullets into half MOA groups at 800 to 1000 yards without bipods nor bubble levels on their scope sighted rifles. Is that precision?

Last edited:
People have shot 20 or more bullets into half MOA groups at 800 to 1000 yards without bipods nor bubble levels on their scope sighted rifles. Is that precision?
Lol yep all off hand I bet!!!! With their special leather jackets, sights etc.. apples to oranges brother

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I find scope levels to be most useful when im not on level ground. Say, on the side of a hill shooting to another hill.

When laying prone on level ground, like most firing points on ranges, its pretty easy to hold the scope level. Get caddywompas on uneven ground...its a different story

Lol yep all off hand I bet!!!!
Does the stock fore end resting on my forehand atop 3 bags of rice qualify as supine offhand? I think so.

Point of aim stayed inside 1/20th MOA from heart beats pulsing shoulder muscles slung up in prone.

Last edited:
Back