Scary day at the range

+1 for Jim Keenan
Not only should you be watching out for your safety and the safety of others, but if people are horsing around at the range and there is an accident, its just giving ammo to the anit-gun liberals who will further their attacks on responsible gun owners.

I'd never want to shoot at a range that only allows one shot a second. I'm a realist with my guns, not a friggin hobbyist who only punches holes in paper and can't understand why anyone would ever want to carry concealed or own an AK47. That's why I find friendly sandpits and do whatever kind of shooting I feel like there...

Mannlicher said,
Walter said:I beg your pardon, but the reason I carry a concealed handgun is so
that when other peoples' behavior gets out of hand, and becomes a threat
to me, I CAN exercise some control over it. Turning the other cheek and just
walking away doesn't work every time. If it did, I wouldn't bother carrying a gun.

I think you misunderstood walter. I was speaking of range etiquette. Geez. I hope I dont run into you with your concealed handgun when you are having a bad hair day.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Mannlicher is offline Report Bad Post

Mannlicher, I did not intend to come across as belligerent, and if I did,
I'm sorry. I only intended to convey the idea that I won't stand by
and tolerate dangerous behavior if I believe it might endanger my life.

I've been shooting for nearly 50 years. I did 2 tours in Viet Nam in the
Marines. As a grunt, not a REMF. I have had a CCL for 10 years. No
incidents. I believe I have a pretty good handle on when NOT to fire.

That said, I think I can recognize a life-threatening situation if I see it.
And I just don't have any qualms about using deadly force if I decide it
is the right thing to do.

So it's not about a "bad hair day", or my mood, or any of that. It is all
about the situation at hand. If I feel threatened, I may well respond
with force. Depending on the situation, it may be "deadly" force.

I'll make that call, and I'll deal with the aftermath.

Walter

I would not, under any circumstances, put up with that kind of behavior. My bags would be packed and I would be GONE. You did good by leaving. If the rangemaster would not put a stop to that behavior, I would not come back. Chances, are, if they let that kind of behavior go on, they won't be around very long anyway, once a good solid lawsuit bankrupts them.

Safety is not something to be relaxed about on the range, ever. I won't tolerate it and won't be around it. I went out and got my CHL so that it will improve my chances of coming home to my wife and kids at the end of the day, not so that I can be the victim of an AD from a moron at a public range while I'm practicing.

czc3513 said:
I do not see how you can stop someone from sweeping you.
It probably happens more often than you think.
It happens all the time at the shop I go to.
It is usually fast, with an empty gun.
I do not think that I have ever swept anyone with a loaded gun.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you're too ignorant to be allowed to have your hands on a gun, and if you're telling the truth, the shop you go to is run by an idiot.

You need to learn the four rules of gun safety and follow them. You also need to UNDERSTAND them before you pick up another gun. Barring that, I'm glad you don't live near me.

lol
The shop keeps the handguns, in the glass display cabinet, pointed towards the front corner of the shop.
They are pointed at any customers in the front corner of the shop, and any customers in front of the far half of the glass display cabinet.
When a handgun is taken out, or put into the glass display cabinet, any customers in the front corner of the shop, and any customers in front of the far half of the glass display cabinet, might be swept.

I realize that with nineteen whole years of life behind you, and considerably less time than that shooting, you have a world to learn. It would be preferable if you either learned it before touching a firearm, or at least were under the direct supervision of someone not afflicted with recto-cranial inversion while touching any arm before you do learn.

I do not see how you can stop someone from sweeping you.

Can't. Can darn sure be sure they know just how badly they've screwed up. And have DONE so.

It probably happens more often than you think.

Since I'm pretty situationally aware, I doubt that.

It happens all the time at the shop I go to.

Dood, you need badly to find a new gunshop. The guys who are running yours don't know jack schitt about firearms.

It is usually fast, with an empty gun.

There is NO SUCH thing as an "empty gun". As to fast, how fast do you reckon a bullet travels?

I do not think that I have ever swept anyone with a loaded gun.

See above. And you "don't think"??? Sheesh...I knew better than that by the age of five...so I don't think 19 holds water as an excuse.

There is NO SUCH thing as an "empty gun".
How do you clean a loaded gun? :rolleyes:
Just joking... ;)

OK, I might have been a little irresponsible....
But in my defense, I was not raised around guns.
My family has very little interest in guns.
I was "given" a handgun about a year ago and I am still learning about it and responsible gun ownership.
I expect to learn more and more about guns and responsible gun ownership for the rest of my life.
I am a lot more carefull now.

How many shops keep the handguns, in the glass display cabinet, pointed towards the front of the shop???
:confused:

How do you clean a loaded gun?
Just joking...

Really not a bad question for one asked in jest. As long as a firearm is in it's assembled state, it's NEVER "unloaded". Let me give you an example...I know an ol' Mississippi boy who found out the hard way at a gun show in Texas several years ago. His friend (both dealers working the same booth), took a brand new, still in the box, never opened .45 semi out of the packaging, pointed at his buddy in a joshing manner, pulled the trigger. The piece was still loaded with a proof load from the factory. Sure, the guy made a fortune from this incident, but I wouldn't sell one of MY testicles or a good portion of my upper thigh for what he got for his. Once disassembled and incapable of firing, it is no longer a firearm. Until that point, it should always be treated as "loaded". No way for anyone to get hurt in correct muzzle awareness is practiced at all times.

OK, I might have been a little irresponsible....

You could have possibly left yourself open to having to live with taking a life you never meant to take. Really bad karma, that.

But in my defense, I was not raised around guns.

Then please learn what you can, and THINK about everything else you do with a potentially deadly tool. You don't sound from this post as smug, and I think that with some time, you'll be an asset to the shooting community...IF you don't do something that turns out to be the most regrettable part of your life.

My family has very little interest in guns.

Sorry to hear that. My youth was spent at my Dad's heels learning about shooting, hunting, etc. Good times. My kids' days were similarly spent at my heels. Hopefully someday, you'll be able to do that for YOUR progeny. I'd really like to think that when that day comes, you'll do it safely and responsibly. You and yours will develop a deep link from sharing good fun that also teaches COMPLETE responsibility for all your actions.

I was "given" a handgun about a year ago and I am still learning about it and responsible gun ownership.

This is one good place. Some of us old farts may come off as highly unaccepting of unsafe behavior, and truth is, most are. Some of us (unfortunately) have seen first hand the results of bad habits. I have. Wish to God above I hadn't. There are several other great places. There should be a range SOMEWHERE near you that offers NRA firearms classes. I'd suggest hunting one of these down. Also, finding a mentor who really knows about safety and gun handling is a good idea. You'd be amazed at what you can learn from a grumpy old fart. I try to keep a few of them close by all the time, but alas, the older I get, the harder it gets to find anyone grumpier and older than me who is still alive and able to teach. Just make sure that when you choose your mentor, you choose carefully. A bad teacher is a terrible thing. A good one will give you advice and pointers that will stay with you well beyond your shooting years.

I expect to learn more and more about guns and responsible gun ownership for the rest of my life.
I am a lot more carefull now.

THAT is encouraging. :)

How many shops keep the handguns, in the glass display cabinet, pointed towards the front of the shop???

The thing is, guns in a cabinet don't fire themselves. It's when they come into contact with human hands that the potential for trouble rears it's ugly head. If you ask to see one of the weapons and the clerk "sweeps" you with it, kindly correct him. If he doesn't take kindly correction well, ask to have his manager kindly correct him. If his manager doesn't see the need for adhering to the the four rules, take your business elsewhere. If one blue pill got out of a factory, then however small the odds, another one might get through the loading dock doors one day. If that should happen, you do not want to be on the other end of that "unloaded" gun.

There is another apt quote I like much better than that one. Sure most in this forum are familiar with it. "Stupidity, if left alone, is self correcting." R.A. Heinlein

There is another apt quote I like much better than that one.
My quote, is my own quote.
I have not heard the phrase before.
It was a response to a moderator who said that my behavior is irrational.
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
:) :) :)

Back