Scary day at the range

I do not blame you for leaving. Fortunatelly the range I use is run VERY professionally, there are a minimum of three RSO's on duty on each range, and the only "sweeping" that is allowed is for casings :D usually the officers will warn once and try to educate the shooters on proper technique, then, if you screw up again YOU ARE GONE !!!

And I DO observe other shooters because MY life is important to ME. It is called "situational awareness" and if you do not practice it, then I fear that you may become another statistic.:mad:

Some people like to get all their shots through one hole, while other people like to blow stuff up.

I love blowing stuff up! My M14 makes rocks the size of heads explode out in the desert!! It's really cool! Hit a rock with a FMJ bullet moving at 2500+fps and it will shatter with parts flying every direction for 10-20 feet.

But I have to AIM to hit those rocks, especially when they are more than 75 yards away and I'm on iron sights with bad eyesight...

Blowing stuff up sometimes requires some decent marksmanship...

Personally, I'm awfully impressed by those guys who can give George Washington's face a shave on a quarter at 300 yards.

Quote: "I think you are putting way too much thought into other's behavior. The only person you can control is you. Just set a good example, and don't obsess about others."

You can't be serious! I depend on the Rangemaster to insure a safe shooting environment where perhaps dozens of people are discharging deadly weapons in my immediate vicinity. If the Rangemaster is not doing the job, you better believe that the behavior of others is paramount in my mind as I beat a hasty retreat.

To passively "set a good example" in a situation like that can get you or somebody else killed, though I suppose you would die very politely!

Mannlicher said,
I think you are putting way too much thought into other's behavior. The only person you can control is you. Just set a good example, and don't obsess about others.
I beg your pardon, but the reason I carry a concealed handgun is so
that when other peoples' behavior gets out of hand, and becomes a threat
to me, I CAN exercise some control over it. Turning the other cheek and just
walking away doesn't work every time. If it did, I wouldn't bother carrying a gun.

Walter

I think you are putting way too much thought into other's behavior. The only person you can control is you. Just set a good example, and don't obsess about others.
Their actions could very well kill me or someone else. When my health is concerned, I'm concerned. If they want to shoot themselves, fine by me, but people like this always end up shooting someone else.

Bad advice for range etiquette.

I'm glad that this post has generated some discussion. Kinda why I started the thread, that and to vent. I felt like one, I should leave because I did not want something tragic to happen to me, and two that I should (and did) notify someone, because I would hate to have had something tragic happen, that I could have done something about and didn't. At the same time, you kind of feel like a kindergardener "tattling" on the others.

For the record, I've been going to this range for some time and before this, I've never witnessed this type of behavior. It is good to know that the range officer "said" he dismissed those individuals right after it was brought to his attention. I'll probably go back to test the waters. If I'm not comfortable, I'll just leave and find a different range to shoot on.

For those who don't wear eye and ear protection I think you are asking for trouble. I only have two eardrums, and two eyes. The eardrums will heal, but how much enjoyment do you really get with that ringing in your ears? The human eye is one of the few organs that CANNOT be transplanted, why risk it. I have to wear eye protection at work (automotive). I've heard stories, and seen pictures of what can happen at a shop without eye protection and could only imagine what a shell casing or other "gun hazard" could do to your eye. Plus I enjoy looking at my wife and kids, kind of hard to do if you are blind.

Fortunately for me, I've got my own personal range...a neighbor's 90 acre ranch. Its just me, myself, and I.:D I've got no "idiots" or distractions to worry about.

Where I shoot there is no very fast rapid fire allowed.Three young guys were shooting about as fast as possible ,the range officer told them to stop it and slow down.As soon as he left they went right back to rapid fire again,and just couldn't understand why they got kicked out:eek: :mad:

Luckily the range I go to is small and not very many people there at any given time.I would say that would make me pretty nervous to have that kind of behavior going on.The few people I have met there have been very safety minded.I always wear my ear protection and glasses especially after getting hit in the cheek with something just under my glasses,one more inch higher and I would have caught that right in the eye if I didn't have the glasses.

The very last time I visited a public outdoor range some moron stood behind the firing line twirling a 6" revolver on his index finger. That was about 3 years ago and I decided at that point I'm done risking my safety around unsupervised idiots. Honestly I'm surprised we don't hear about more "accidents" at public ranges

quote:
"For those who don't wear eye and ear protection I think you are asking for trouble. I only have two eardrums, and two eyes. The eardrums will heal, but how much enjoyment do you really get with that ringing in your ears? The human eye..."
end quote.

The eardrum is not at issue. Yes, an eardrum will heal if ruptured, but the parts in the middle ear that are damaged by exposure to loud noise do not heal. They are damaged, do not not heal, and the damage is cumulative. Do a search for OSHA, or hearing damage to get more details.

There are plenty of people my age with hearing damage. Many more will follow. Please do not join them.

2400, I do not think that sweeping people is OK.
I have done it without intention but I am more carefull now.

"I think you are putting way too much thought into other's behavior. The only person you can control is you. Just set a good example, and don't obsess about others."

Well, if I am on a range and someone waving a gun around puts a bullet through ME, it becomes my business pretty quickly. To avoid that, I want ranger officers to control everyone's behavior where safety is concerned.

Even aside from personal danger, nothing gets a range shut down faster than a fatality, then everyone loses.

Jim

Walter said:I beg your pardon, but the reason I carry a concealed handgun is so
that when other peoples' behavior gets out of hand, and becomes a threat
to me, I CAN exercise some control over it. Turning the other cheek and just
walking away doesn't work every time. If it did, I wouldn't bother carrying a gun.

I think you misunderstood walter. I was speaking of range etiquette. Geez. I hope I dont run into you with your concealed handgun when you are having a bad hair day. :)

czc-misconduct at the range

CZC
If you did what you said in your post at he the range I use, you would be run out of there faster than you could talk about it. Flashing someone with your gun is pretty serious, and if you want to be stupid enough not to wear glasses or hearing protection, that's one thing, but one pass of your muzzle past me and I would have my hand on my CCW.
The range officer at our club would physically throw your silly butt out.

wow... it is not ok to sweep anyone inless you are intending to shoot at them... and you should never allow anyone to sweep you w/ the barrel of a gun...
:rolleyes:
I do not think that sweeping people is OK.
I have done it without intention but I am more carefull now.
I do not see how you can stop someone from sweeping you.
It probably happens more often than you think.
It happens all the time at the shop I go to.
It is usually fast, with an empty gun.
I do not think that I have ever swept anyone with a loaded gun.

That is a wild story Bender711.

Back