SC CCW Shoots Restaurant Robber

Double Naught Spy said:
Crowd control. They can't watch people over a large area so they confine them. This isn't an uncommon tactic.

C0untZer0 said:
But the whole thing of being herded into a room - in Illinois at least would meet the criteria for reasonable belief of impending death.

This back room thing is a key issue for me. Once you give into going to the back room you are trusting what the BG's want to do.....I don't like those odds. I will not interfere if robbers go to the counter and leave with the cash, but if they come to my area and demand people to go to a back room then there will be trouble for sure.

From early on...

I agree that if the would-be-robber pointed the gun at the person with the CCW permit, I would assume intent to harm, and do the same.

It is that waiting until a gun is pointed my way I don't like... I fight dirtier battles... I might have the upper hand in a draw if the armed BG don't know I am drawing as he isn't lookin' right at me...

Feller with a gun? Yepper... I have reason to fear one of his rounds is meant for me!

Brent

^ I agree

Since this is a tactics forum I would just say it's bad tactics to wait until the bad guy points a gun at you to shoot, but he wouldn't have been in that situation if he hadn't first made the decision to "hold" the assailants at gun point until LE arrived - another bad tactic.

There is a lot of talk on this thread about castle doctine - but just to separate it for a moment, not to belabor the old cliché "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" but from my point of view - no matter what state I'm in, regardless of what laws are in place, if someone initiates a robbery in an establisment with me in it, I'm going to constantly be making a judgement of what is my risk of bodily harm or death - if he is going to take the money and go or if he's going to do more... and as soon as robbers start herding people into a backroom, the scale just tipped and I am going to look for the BEST opportunity to draw my weapon and stop the aggression. If that means the assailant is looking the other way and I shoot him while his back is turned - so be it.

This is why these events don't produce noticeable changes in crime rates

musher said:

Good question. One thing for sure, some of the areas with the strongest gun control are some of the highest gun crime areas in the country.

I think if there is a high incidence of civilians that lawfully CCW, then you will see a reduction in crime in that area. I admit I don' have numbers in hand but I remember a few years ago about an area in Florida that had civilian CCW after high crime rates and the crime went down.

Anyway, the crime rate for that day at that Waffle House was reduced by about 100%.

madmag said:
Anyway, the crime rate for that day at that Waffle House was reduced by about 100%.

No, it wasn't. A violent crime was committed: Attempted armed robbery. That is a crime, it makes the crime rate go up.

musher said:

Sources:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/116969
Says that studies that say that more concealed guns reduce crime are "suspect".

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPa...ndle=hein.journals/legstud27&div=13&id=&page=
"... no basis for drawing confident conclusions about the impact of right-to-carry laws on violent crime."

http://home.uchicago.edu/~ludwigj/papers/IJLE-ConcealedGunLaws-1998.pdf
"... results suggest that shall-issue laws have resulted, if anything, an increase in adult homicide rates"

http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~jswinton/ECON 4990/Criminal Deterrence.pdf
"The benefits that a county obtains from its state passing a shail-issue concealed-handgun law are generally stronger than those found in previous work. Spillover effects on neighboring areas are almost always deleterious."
In other words, counties benefit, but it seems that crime just moves elsewhere instead of reducing.

madmag said:
Good question. One thing for sure, some of the areas with the strongest gun control are some of the highest gun crime areas in the country.

Violent crime rate for Anchorage, Alaska (no permit required for concealed carry) in 2005: 735.6 per 100,000. (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_ak.html)
Violent crime rate for New York City (no concealed carry allowed) in 2008: 444.4 per 100,000. (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm)

Crime is not as simple as allowing concealed handguns. This brings me back to my original point: we should not try to make the argument that carrying concealed handguns reduces crime. We need to say that it stops crime from happening to law abiding innocent people.

whether you agree or disagree about this stopping a crime. You can at least agree it helped stop some future crime. If the 19 year old would not have been shot and killed he probably would have went one to commit a future crime. This goes for the guy who was later arrested. So by him being killed and the other arrested that takes 2 criminals off the street.

Last edited:
Sources:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/116969
Says that studies that say that more concealed guns reduce crime are "suspect".
-Your link requires a subscription to read the article.

http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPag...v=13&id=&page=
"... no basis for drawing confident conclusions about the impact of right-to-carry laws on violent crime."
-An analysis of the previous article; written by people loyal to the University of Chicago; with a bias toward getting guns out of the inner city. Your link requires a subscription to read the article.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~ludwigj/pa...nLaws-1998.pdf
"... results suggest that shall-issue laws have resulted, if anything, an increase in adult homicide rates"
-Again, written by Chicago authors with a bias toward the Brady bunch, and removing guns from the inner city. Not to mention, it's 14 years old.

http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~jswinton/E...Deterrence.pdf
"The benefits that a county obtains from its state passing a shail-issue concealed-handgun law are generally stronger than those found in previous work. Spillover effects on neighboring areas are almost always deleterious."
In other words, counties benefit, but it seems that crime just moves elsewhere instead of reducing.
-What's the problem? If it gets crime out of my area, why should I care?
You also left out the primary statement in that data: "Except for assaults, these spillover effects are either deleterious or insignificant."
...Not that the "insignificant" spill over effects matter... they're plugging their statistics into an unproven algorithm. None of their conclusions are based on hard data. It's based on estimates that were pumped out of the algorithm.

Violent crime rate for Anchorage, Alaska (no permit required for concealed carry) in 2005: 735.6 per 100,000. (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_ak.html)
Violent crime rate for New York City (no concealed carry allowed) in 2008: 444.4 per 100,000. (http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm)
That isn't a fair comparison. They're using different data collection and reporting methods. I can find data to support the idea that it's cheaper to live on Mars, than in Manhattan; but that doesn't make it true.

Calling the people who write the studies "biased towards the brady bunch" is an ad hominem pure and simple. You can't toss aside several sources just because they are from Chicago. That's something the Brady Campaign would do. And the "algorithm" is far from unproven. Neighborhood spillover effects are something that have been studied successfully for years (if that's what you're talking about... it's not really an algorithm they are using, it's a statistical model)...

What's the problem? If it gets crime out of my area, why should I care?

Because that's not what we are talking about, we are talking about whether or not shall-issue reduces crime. My hypothesis says "maybe, but it's hard to prove". This paper, by saying that it only moves crime around supports that. If the crime moves, people are still getting robbed, raped, and murdered, just in different locations. It's a sad moral system that puts value on human life based on geographic location.

I've provided sources to back up my points, I await the same from the other side other than discrediting the sources. Sad that the thread has come to that. And you don't need an account to read that abstract that gives the overview of the results. I can get more if needed, there is far from a lack of substance in the literature.

That isn't a fair comparison. They're using different data collection and reporting methods. I can find data to support the idea that it's cheaper to live on Mars, than in Manhattan; but that doesn't make it true.

The comparison is totally fair, you said that places with lax gun laws have lower crime rates and I've produced a result contrary to that. I could also produce a result that supports your conclusion, but that's not my point. My point is that crime is not as simple as "let people carry concealed handguns", there are tons more factors.

That data comes from the same place, the FBI's UCR. Here are the links to Anchorage and New York City, the numbers are the same:
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_ak.html
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_08_ny.html

At least try to refute the central point or get data that does instead of simply trying to discredit my data and sources as "the brady bunch"... That's not how this works.

Good reply from FrankenMauser. I can only add this:

We need to say that it stops crime from happening to law abiding innocent people.

Ok, works for me.

The difference in my verbiage is minute but important. We do know that many people have successfully defended themselves with concealed handguns, and that's the stories we need to tell. We need to tell stories like OP's. Stories of the grandma that defends her home from the 3 street thugs. Stories of the young woman who kills the serial rapist after being attacked on the street. Stories of how guns turned the table on violence scumbags. It is hard to say that concealed guns reduce overall crime (and if it were, it doesn't pull on the heartstrings like these stories do). It is very easy to say that concealed guns have saved countless lives from victimhood.

Last edited:
This should never have turned into "CCW reduces crime" discussion. That's missing the whole point.

None of us will ever be able to reduce crime. But we may be able to one day save a life. Here's to hoping none of us are ever in that position.

This should never have turned into "CCW reduces crime" discussion. That's missing the whole point.

None of us will ever be able to reduce crime. But we may be able to one day save a life. Here's to hoping none of us are ever in that position.

Excellent post!

Back on topic: Do we think it was OK for him to try to hold two attackers at gun point when one has a gun? I think it would be alright at that point (when the gun was pointed at him) to draw and immediately go hot, I'm not so sure attempting negotiations would be the most tactically viable choice...

Perhaps attempting to subdue them until police arrived was just a CYA method? That way in case an overzealous attorney convinced the family of the deceased to try and press a civil suit it could be in the record that he tried to simply stop them before firing? in order to not appear to be a trigger happy vigilante.

First, you can find statistics to support either argument. Like the following interview with John Lott.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

Lott: Criminals are deterred by higher penalties. Just as higher arrest and conviction rates deter crime, so does the risk that someone committing a crime will confront someone able to defend him or herself. There is a strong negative relationship between the number of law-abiding citizens with permits and the crime rate—as more people obtain permits there is a greater decline in violent crime rates. For each additional year that a concealed handgun law is in effect the murder rate declines by 3 percent, rape by 2 percent, and robberies by over 2 percent.

Concealed handgun laws reduce violent crime for two reasons. First, they reduce the number of attempted crimes because criminals are uncertain which potential victims can defend themselves. Second, victims who have guns are in a much better position to defend themselves.

As the OP I agree.

The main point was to illustrate a SD shooting that represents a scenario that I have thought of many times. It's not a perfect world. Carrying a firearm can work against you, but I think the odds of it helping are in my favor. If I didn't believe that then I would not carry.

Somewhat related: http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/16...source=va&utm_medium=rec&************=content

"Spartanburg Co. councilman wants sheriff to drop weapons push"

Some of the highlights: "The Herald-Journal of Spartanburg reported that Councilman Michael Brown said he thinks Sheriff Chuck Wright's efforts are irresponsible." "...think Wright's efforts promote an environment of lawlessness."

Yep, if the Sheriff hadn't been supporting CCWs, this robbery never would have happened! ;)

Do we think it was OK for him to try to hold two attackers at gun point when one has a gun?

No

I don't think that was a sound tactical decision. It could have opened things up to get much worse. It did lead to one of the robbbers pointing a gun at him (drawing a bead on him?).

I think it would be alright at that point (when the gun was pointed at him) to draw and immediately go hot

I think it was unwise to pass up an opportunity to use his firearm on the assialants and wait until the assailant actually pointed his gun at him to fire.

I agree with Brent:

It is that waiting until a gun is pointed my way I don't like...

Last edited:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~ludwigj/pa...nLaws-1998.pdf

Ludwig uses people too young to carry as a control group for a state that has instituted right to carry laws. I don't buy that as young people are often around people who do carry and may get some of the protective benefit. A better control would be a nearby state that has not changed its carry law. I'm surprised Ludwig didn't use the states that didn't change carry laws as a control group as that is what he used when evaluating the effects of the Brady Bill.

Here is a good discussion of the effects of concealed carry on crime.

While the effects on crime rates are ambiguous, concealed carry can and does make a big difference to individuals.

The crime reduction related to CCW discussion is certainly a worthy subject, but the problem is that it is probably un-ending, at least from a statistical data stand point.

When I started this thread I was thinking more in terms of how we all feel when we choose to CCW on a daily basis. I know when I walk out the door I am not thinking about crime statistics, but more about what I can or would do if confronted by a BG threating myself or my family. Well, now days there is just my wife and myself, my kids are all grown and living in other states.

Anyway, I find it's best to think out actions before they happen rather than waiting until it actually happens. I am not sure I would have done exactly as the CCW person in the Waffle House incident, but it's a real world situation that should be studied.

You go out on a nice daylight trip to eat breakfast and all of a sudden your are defending your life.

You go out on a nice daylight trip to eat breakfast and all of a sudden your are defending your life.

I think this has to be part of the mindset of a concealed carrier... It would definitely help with the guilt that occurs after using your firearm in self defense. I think it was Massad Ayoob (his name be praised) that said that you have to tell yourself after a defensive shooting that (paraphrasing here, I cannot even hope to be as eloquent) "you did not wake up that day and decide to visit violent acts upon innocent people."

madmag said...
This back room thing is a key issue for me. Once you give into going to the back room you are trusting what the BG's want to do.....I don't like those odds. I will not interfere if robbers go to the counter and leave with the cash, but if they come to my area and demand people to go to a back room then there will be trouble for sure.

Negotiations at the end of a weapon aren't negotiations at all and there is no reason to believe the honesty of a person committing a dishonest act.

I understanding about not interfering with a robber that goes to the counter and leaves with the cash. Of course, you are "trusting" the robber won't start shooting before leaving. It doesn't happen often, of course, and that is why compliance is often a very good thing to do when you (the general public, not you personally) haven't a clue about what to do or haven't thought about your options before the event starts.

The crime reduction related to CCW discussion is certainly a worthy subject, but the problem is that it is probably un-ending, at least from a statistical data stand point.

If you think about it as a CCW person, what is the one or one set of statistics that matters to you at the end of the day? Is it whether or not crime was reduced or is it that you and your loved ones got through another day? I can't think of a single person that I have spoken with who has been involved in ccw use of a gun or any recounting of the events by a ccw person who acted in self defense that ever gave a single thought to crime statistics, crime rates, or how their event fit with any sort of trends. What they all seem to care about is that they, their loved ones, and may be others survived as a result of their actions.

Back