SC CCW Shoots Restaurant Robber

Sad to see any life lost
No, it would have been sad to see innocent life lost.
Life choices have consequences, and too many people have yet to learn that lesson.
I don't think anyone knows what "Castel Doctrine" means anymore
And some don't even know how to spell it... :D

According to our CCW class a place a person has a right to be can be a restaurant or even on a public street.
Same for Oklahoma. As long as you are legal to be there with your gun there in duty to retreat. Oklahoma laws you have the right to absolute safety. Home, car or out and about. And also if it is deemed that you are in the right for the shooting . No civil law suits either. Good job for the customer one less bad guy to deal with. Hopefully his friend will learn from this .

According to the latest report the CCW customer was attempting to hold the robbers for police. I am not sure I would intervene to hold the robbers if I had not already been threatened. But I do support the customers actions, and apparently so does the sheriff.

If they don't apprehend the accomplice that is going to put a dent in my theory that DGUs seldom result in any criminals remaining at large.

According to the latest report the CCW customer was attempting to hold the robbers for police. I am not sure I would intervene to hold the robbers if I had not already been threatened. But I do support the customers actions, and apparently so does the sheriff.
Either way good job. One way you hold them so they be charged with armed robbery to get them off the street or as he did have a gun pointed at you then shoot . Either way once less punk on the street just second method is for good.

Here is a news report with Sheriff interview/press conference on the shooting. Sounds like the men were terrorizing 10 people in the place when the CCW holder intervened. He had them at gunpoint telling them to drop the weapon and surrender when the kid that was shot went to shoot the CCW holder who responded. Sounds like he was restrained until the two punks pushed it too far.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/jan/...another-run-after-attempted-armed-ar-3086970/

Well - since this is about tactics, I don't think it was a good idea to try hold them...

He was being herded into the back - a precursor in the past for a massacre (Brown's Chicken in Palatine IL for example).

IMO the best tactic would have been to draw and shoot. I am glad it turned out well for him, but he put himself and others at risk trying to disarm the gunman by pointing his own gun at him.

I have to agree with CZ on this one, barring some issues we don't know about with lines of sight and bystander positions.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take prisoners, if they surrendered; I am saying that with two on one, and at least one armed with a firearm, I don't feel much compulsion to give a warning.

First, could be bad for me.

Second, could be bad for the other victims, if something bad happens to me.

Needs of the many, plus the needs of the one, equals take the clean shot as I see it.

Thanks for posting. I'm always looking for evidence where concealed carry prevents crime. Many news agencies I feel under report it,so it's important to disseminate this info ourselves as often as possible. Good shoot here.

It is very sad to hear the would be robber turned 19 that day, but this is the world we live and die in. Still it is sad and tragic, but the shooter did right, the dead robber did wrong.

Pretty sure Castle Doctrine in SC covers home, car & your place of business.

The Spartanburg Sherriff is a big 2A supporter.

Hope it goes well for the CCW gentleman.

JB

Thanks for posting. I'm always looking for evidence where concealed carry prevents crime.

I am not sure that crime was prevented. The story documents a considerable amount of crime that occurred against the business, each employee, and each patron. That the crimes were not brought to successful completion by the bad guys was prevented, but the crimes definitely occurred.

After reading the details, it is apparent the CCW shooter did the right thing. Usually it comes to a bad end when robbers move people to a back room. They probably wanted to eliminate any witnesses.

I am not sure that crime was prevented. The story documents a considerable amount of crime that occurred against the business, each employee, and each patron. That the crimes were not brought to successful completion by the bad guys was prevented, but the crimes definitely occurred.

I agree with DNS here. In fact I would go so far as to say that we should never make the argument the lawful citizens carrying concealed handguns prevents crime. A much better argument would be to say that firearms legally used in self defense stop bad things that are already happening from happening to innocent people. Obviously getting robbed is still a bad thing, but it (and any other nefarious actions that the scumbags might have had in mind) was stopped when the violence was re-directed at non-innocent actors, which is exactly what happens when a lawfully carried firearm is used against criminals. In other words, carrying a concealed firearm does not prevent bad things, it just puts the results of those bad things onto the people who are responsible for them instead of the innocent people.

Also CCW and crime reductions is a very hard thing to statistically prove.

I believe that if a weapon is peresent it will be used, so once a weapon is pointed at me, laws be darned, gun use is now on the table. But I have never had a gun in my face save ignorant occurences while at shooting ranges. That being said I dont know if I would draw and hope to open 6 small cans of whoopass or if I would pee my pants. But seems like a clean shoot to me.

Back