savage stevens 200 .223

OK, went out today finally to play with the varget to see if I could get that stuff to shoot decent.. no super luck like the IMR 4198, I got it down to <3/4" groups, thats all it will do with the 69 grain nosler HPBT.. pics of targets at 100yards with a bench rest. Playing with the COL of the case..

Right to left 2.246, 2.265, 2.286 COL, not much difference, but maybe I didnt do large enough changes? Im new..

459846477_BVpDY-XL-2.jpg

Here is with varget and 55FMJ's, right to left, 25gr, 26gr, 27gr of varget

459846848_uFYAr-L.jpg

Im not a varget fan yet.. any idea's? I know the gun will shoot tight, but wont with this stuff.

Thanks!

Ok, played with another load and IMR 4198 powder, this gun likes it best.. 52gr hpbt sierry with 22gr of imr 4198 = almost one hole, I sent one a tad off mark, and this is only 50yds, but still damn good for this setup in my opinion!

487650667_a6KQ6-O.jpg

Aviator, great shooting. Looks like you might have found a winning combination.

Seems like about 3-5 months ago, one of our members wrote a nice long post about how he could get any bullet weight to shoot accurately out of his rifle. All you had to do was adjust the velocity of which the bullet was being sent down the barrel. The longer (heavier) the bullet, the less speed it needs to stabilize in a specific rate of twist. Or maybe I got that backwards.

Don't know how much you know about reloading, but it was all very new to me (as I'm not a hand loader). Maybe it would be helpful.

Im somewhat new at reloading yet, but I know these 52gr bullets are going fast, 3200-3300fps almost if I remember right? And my 69grainers are only doing 2750fps or so.. Im still learning

I know different brands of bullet, and type of bullets make a difference also.. i get a bullet weight and type and work the whole loading range from slow to fast to see if it will print, some dont, sometimes a different powder makes a huge difference with the same bullet.. Its basically just figuring out the right combination, thats what it is.

Back