savage stevens 200 .223

Ever consider a .243 instead of 223? It will shoot flatter then 223 or even .22-250 and have more punch when it getrs there. Also will do double duty as a deer gun. I've got a Savage that will shoot 1/2 MOA with 70 gr. Nosler BTs and is a great deer or varmint gun.

Pat

Yes, and it shot 3/4 to 1" @ 100 with no work. Great walking gun. Then I but a B&C stock on it, and a 223AI varmint barrel. Still shoots great, no so good for walking anymore.

I thought about a .243, but then I need another set of dies and brass, for another gun. Ill probably get a 7mag for a deer gun, and I already am setup for .223, so a bolt for varmints, as my mini14 is a sprayer.

updating, I talked the store manager today, they said they could get one from another store into the place, so after hearing how great these are for the money, Ill have to get one.

Probably tinker with the stock a little, maybe epoxy some carbon fiber into the forarm part to stiffen it up, sand the flash and repaint it. should work well.

Get it, you won't be sorry. I worked up a load for one. Shot sub moa out of the box. It was a 22-250 and loved Sierra 52gr. bthp match bullets.

Got a friend who built a custom off of the same action. Had a barrel put on it in 22 Rayhill Rocket. It's a 243 casing necked down with a 35 degree shoulder. He's got a fast twist barrel to handle 80 grainers and we've done some shooting at 500 and 600 yards. He's also killed a couple of deer with it with. He says it has a lot of shock effect on deer.

"I got bored and drove to burlington, I see why its that cheap, the stock looks like a cheap toy. The bolt felt a little cheezy, but if it works, it works. They said that sportsmans warehouse wont order guns in either, its whatever is on the shelf.. Id probably still consider the .223, but Id have to put a real stock on it. It was flimsy and I could move it by hand on the front section."

1) Bolt felt cheezy: Compared to what? It is the exact same action as a standard Savage rifle, without the Accutrigger!

2) The stock looks like a toy: Picked up a sub $500.00 Remington lately? Its cheap for a reason. I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard the other day and could not believe the amount of play in the forearm of a stock that cost that much. If you want a better stock, buy a more expensive rifle ;)

I have seen some impressive Stevens 200 that were customized and shot with rifles costing 10X the cost.

I am a little tired of the Savage/Stevens bashing by people that do not know a thing about what makes a rifle shoot well or build quality. If you prefer Remington, Winchester, etc, buy them. They are great firearms. The Savage /Stevens are becoming extremely popular due to their value and their out of the box performance. It just seems that many people have a hard time accepting the facts about the changes that have been taking place at Savage/Stevens over the past 20 years.

one of the most accurate rifles in production. the stock is cheap but the rest of the rifle is first rate. free floated, good trigger, and button rifled. this rifle will out shoot most 800 dollar rifles. mine shoots sub moa groups all day long. most 5 rd groups are touching each other.

Actually McKinney, I did handle all the .223's by other makers, this one felt the cheapest. That said, I have one coming and will be buying one as it sounds like a heck of a shooter. I look forward to it!

What loads are most accurate in this rifle? Hows it shoot 55grain? Or do I have to go heavier with the bullets? I reload my own.

I just purchased a Stevens 25-06 that will become the donor for my custom 25-06. I also just ordered a 26" Shilen SS varmint barrel and will be adding a Joel Russo custom laminated stock soon as I get the new SSG muzzle brake installed on the barreled action.

Dick's Sporting special order catalog also lists stevens 200. I order one past summer and the price was $269. Great rifle and the triggger can be modified by replacing the trigger spring with a thinner gauge spring wire (0.041"?) and get the trigger pull weight down to 2.5 lb. Dick's also has Savage 111 package gun with a cheap scope on sale at $319 from time to time. I don't know if 111 has Accu Trigger, if it has Accu trigger, it will be an excellent deal.

Great news guys, just got a call my rifle is in, off to get it after work!

TO DO:
-trigger job.
-smooth and repaint stock, possibly exopy in some carbon fiber into for arm part to strengthen.

Any other idea's? I have the scope already, so Im very ready.

What grain bullets should I get? Ive been reloading 55gr for my mini14, will they be accurate in this? Or should I get some heavier bullets for long distance shooting.

Range Report!

I put a Nikon prostaf BDC scope on it (nice scope btw).

Pic

451113722_CvCgr-M.jpg

Today, finally made it to the range to sight it in, using the 55grain FMJ's I use in the mini14 I got it in the ballpark.

I reload my own, I dont have a picture of the factory 55fmj target, but it was spraying them 3-4" groups at 100yards, I was getting bummed. So, switched to the reloads, IMR powder, 55gr FMJ's, here are those targets..

453162304_svsVi-L.jpg

Dissapointed, so, I also had some 69grain HPBT noslers, lets see how they do, here they are with Varget powder.. The very top lone target just to try out the powder was varget with the 55fmj's, the other targets are with the 69gr HPBT's

453162374_xhvSg-L.jpg

Better, but still not impressed with accuracy... I happened to load up some of the 69 grainers with IMR powder, for fun, here is that target..

453162158_cik2c-L.jpg

It really liked that powder, and liked them going slower, the gun wasnt very loud, and very little kick, no chrono so I dont know what they are doing for speed exactly, but the first target you see the 3 shot group, that I can cover with a dime..

453162348_CxRYR-L.jpg

Here is the other group

453162407_CAAWL-M.jpg

SO, thats all the testing I got in today, I was really really wishing it would work better with the 55grainers as I have alot of them, I also with it liked the 69 grainers going faster. I dont know if just my gun is fussy or ? These are all done with a solid bench rest at 100yds.

Thanks for looking! All in all Im very happy with the above grouping out of around a $400 scoped rifle setup. If anyone else out there has any tips, tricks or other, Im all ears to getting this setup dialed in with other combinations.

Thank you!

After reading two American Rifleman articles I was about to jump on a Savage, think that I'll stick with my Rem. 700's for a while longer.

I wouldn’t be too worried about your velocity with the lighter loads; you should be near 2700fps in that 22" barrel with your 18.5gr loading. Your rifle comes with a 1 in 9" twist so it shouldn’t surprise you that it likes the 69's. You may want to switch powders and play around a little if you want to squeeze all you can from the 69’s. I would suggest trying some Berger and Nosler bullets in your new rig.

J.

These are nosler bullets, I see I forgot to mention that part, sorry.

What powder is best for this bullet weight and this rifle?

Thank you!

Back