savage stevens 200 .223

Come on now someone has to have some experience with this rifle.

I too have been thinking of purchasing one for a walking varminter. I would like to hear feedback as too the accuracy of this rifle. I really am not too worried about fit, finish, stock, or trigger, just accuracy.

J.

Yep! I have a Mini14, I figure it cant be as bad as that thing is.. Id LOVE to hear from someone with some 100yd and 200yd groups!

I don't know a lot about the Savage 200 but I read a very interesting article by a Canadian who has built a match rifle on the 200. He designed a cartridge called the 6.5 Mystic. It is a .308 Win blown out and of course necked to .264. I like what he did and am going to use some of his ideas. I printed part of his article. You might find it doing a Google for 6.5 Mystic or this is the link on the bottom of the page. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek075.html My opinion of Savages is changing quite a bit. At one time I didn't want one at all but they have come a long way in the last several years and I am amazed at some of the things I have seen done with them. I would not hesitate to buy one now.

the Stevens 200 is a Savage 110 without the accutrigger. they shoot right out of the box. you won't be disappointed. they aren't pretty but they are very accurate. if i hadn't found a deal on a barely used Vanguard i was looking very seriously at the Stevens & the Savage.

I owned one a while back and liked it very much. The only problem was with the double stack internal magazine. Sometimes the bullet tips would hang up when I chambered a round. (The newer single stack internal mags are supposed to have corredted this problem.

If I hadn't traded for a Tikka T3 Lite 223, I would probably have gotten another. The only other fault I had with the Stevens was the flimsy stock, too much forearm movement if pressure was applied. The Tikka's stock has little or no flex.

As for groups, the Stevens would shoot 65 gr thru 77 gr Sierra's into less than a inch at 100 yds. It would do the same with their 52 gr BTHP's but I mostly shot the heavier Sierras.

Had one

I had one in .243 and it was a great gun. I took OD green Krylon and worked the stock up some camo and it looked good. I kick myself on a regular basis for selling that gun. For that price, I would have bought it on the spot and smiled all the way out the door.

Lg_mouth

awesome, Ill have to go buy one tomorrow..

Im looking at the .223 for varmits, but they sell a few different calibers for the same price up to 300winmag I believe

Is this one of the chain stores? Like Joe's, Sportsman's, or Bi-Mart?

That's a good price!

EDIT: Found it at Sportman's. Too bad there is a snow storm coming my way! Too far to drive today.

:(

Last edited:
It was a tease, they dont have the .223 in stock... sigh, they do have the 22-250 though, but I hate getting too many different calibers...

I have the Stevens 200 in .223. Really like it. I am working up a load with it now. Shooting around 1" groups at 100 yards mostly. Have shot some at 1/2"
It's a 9" twist so I am using Winchester 64 grain power points. Just remounted the scope with low rings. Messing with the OAL and charge to see what it will do at it's best.
Have had no problems at all with it...chambers fine. It does not have an accutrigger. Did have to open up the stock area along the barrel to free float it. Got the plastic stock. It's lite and easy to carry. Think they are a great buy.
I think I'll keep it...ha ha.
Good luck
Pete

Sportsmen's in Vancouver had the .223 in stock this morning!

Sorry - I hate it when they advertise something they don't have. Big-5 does it all the time.

I got bored and drove to burlington, I see why its that cheap, the stock looks like a cheap toy. The bolt felt a little cheezy, but if it works, it works. They said that sportsmans warehouse wont order guns in either, its whatever is on the shelf.. Id probably still consider the .223, but Id have to put a real stock on it. It was flimsy and I could move it by hand on the front section.

Yep, alot of folks upgrade stocks on them, I suspect any wood savage stock would work on the Stevens as it is just a Savage design with a changed name. They had them here for 269 once, now they jumped over 300 but despite the stock, what you get is a very accurate rifle. Basic coyote gun or the like. You can nitpick the details, lot of postings have talked about changing or doing something with the economy stock, and maybe some fiddle with the trigger pull, but NO ONE ever says the .223 is anything but bang on super accurate. The stock is probably why it is 269 instead of 399. If you can live with it as a truck gun or something, you save alot of $$$

Yeah, Im still interested in one if they ever get one in stock :rolleyes:

Ill find or make my own stock over that rubber thing it comes with. haha. Thanks for the info. I figure it must be the best bang for the buck. Only other gripe is the magazine is internal, which is fine, but no bottom drop, so you must cycle them out the top. Maybe that can be changed somehow?

Back