Savage Model 99 F info

Status
Not open for further replies.
savage 99

Hi, I'm new to this site.
I just picked up 2 model 99 savages one in 308, and one in 284.
I traded the 284 for my old 38-55 winchester.
Does any one know how I can date my 308? It has a series A on it, plus on the left side of the receiver I believe is the serial # B0198XX. It has a tang safety.

As to the safety type/location change from the lever safety to the tang safety, there was no unilateral change for all models at one given time.

As posted, first the "F" model was changed (about 1960), but by the mid-60's, all Model 99's were being made with the tang safety.

38.55: - Your .308 Model 99A was made from 1971-81, but Savage is not forthcoming with SN/DOM info.

AFAIK, if any info is available, it must be obtained ($$) from the retired Savage historian, John Callahan (google).

Last edited:
The best chambering in my mind is the 300 savage, it takes well to handloading but its good in factory form too, it gives up next to nothing to a .308, but by virtue of being a couple of tenths shorter in OAL, the lever swing is about 20 degrees less, which makes follow up shots so much easier. The 250 savage is the sweet chambering in a 99 for most deer and smaller game. its virtually recoiless in the 99, and I have several. If you have a smaller person or one who has developed a flinch, the 250 in a 99 is a wonderful gun

I agree, I have two 99s, one is 300 Savage and one in 250 Savage.
I'm using both guns with just iron sights, however the 250 has a Lyman Tang mounted aperture sight on it.

It's amazing how well these old rifles will shoot.
However this does not surprise me about the 300 as I owned one once before and sure took a lot of deer with it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Age of old Model 99

Hi Folks,
I recently acquired an old Savage Model 99 in .300 and I was trying to determine its age when I came upon your excellent forum. Based on what I've read here, it appears as though mine was made in 1949 since the stamp on the "Lever Boss" clearly shows (26A) and the serial number is 526XXX.
Would you agree?

Thanks.

I kind of cruised through the old stuff and I don't know. I still have a .358 Featherweight and the safety is on the lever. This is the older model before the beefed up stock models came out.

To add to the Savage 99 knowlege base:

Just aquired 99F in 308. Boss letter L (1960) serial 1010xxx with the tried and true olde Weaver 4x.

Inspection stamps: b o s 5

Chicopee Falls, Mass

Tang safety, hand checkering, sling swivels (may not be original)

Some comments:

1) I have read some feel the tang safety is poorly made, but I found this one to be well designed and well made- very nice in use. I don't see them as inferior to the lever safety in any way.

2) I know collectors made a benchmark at one million to call out lesser quality builds, but from what I see the decline began after the 1 mil 100 thousands. This gun is hand fitted and very nicely made. So don't disregard 99's just because they may have a serial over 1 mil. I almost did and am very glad I went back and took a second look.

4) the stock had split behind the tang. Some people and maybe some smiths should not be allowed to touch wood!! They really messed up the stock in an attempt to screw it together when all they had to do is open the split a little, add a good glue and clamp. I was able to hide most of the horror with matched plugs and judicious re-touching.

Anyway (gloat) I am really pleased with this rifle. An added bonus is some very nice figure on the butt stock.

Sweet lever guns. Bring on the tang sight!

Jimmy

Last edited:
First year for .308?

I recently acquired a model 99 with an H code, so it should be a 1956 model, serial 9051XX. Someone mentioned these rifles only available in .308 from '57 on. I'd have to assume they were mistaken?

Just came across this thread! I know its old but somewhere people said they didn't start making Model 99F's in .308 cal. until 1957! I have first hand knowledge that this is wrong. I also have a Model 99F in .308 cal with a 17H code on the lever. That puts it as a 1956 rifle.

I think the proper way of stating it is that Savage didn't INTRODUCE the .308 family of cartridges until 1957, as in, their 1957 catalog year.

That means that they would have been manufacturing the guns in 1956 for shipment in the 1957 catalog year.

I don't have any catalogs or advertisements from that time frame, but it's very likely that Savage would have announced the new cartridges sometime in the second half of 1956, much like companies sometimes still do.

So yeah, I'm not surprised at all that you have a 99F in .308 with a 1956 date code on it. :)

You will find a lot of weird physical feature mixtures on the '99s. Between the changes and the company moving, many guns are "Piecers". Parts still in stock were not thrown out and many rifles returned to the factory for work had updated parts added at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back