Savage Model 99 F info

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would tend to be an absolutely KILLER price for a .284 with 4 boxes of ammunition.

The last .284 I saw was pushing $1k, and I've seen a few over $1k.

"Mike Irwin seems to be the expert & major owner of these
rifles..."

Thank ye for the effusive compliment. :)

Unfortunately, I have but one Savage 99, an EG made in 1936.

I remember the very first time I saw a picture of a 99, it was on the cover of American Rifleman magazine around 1975.

The graceful lines absolutely hooked me.

I have also become quite enamored with the .300 Savage cartridge. I own three rifles chambered in .300 Savage, the 99, a Remington 722, and a Remington 81.

But, a friend of mine is moving to California in a few weeks. He e-mailed me and told me that he was giving me his .300 Savage because he knows that I will appreciate it.

His asking price?

Dinner.

To be honest, I'd much rather he stay on the East coast.

My first post election rifle will be a Savage 99. My uncle and aunt who traveled the u S during the 40' and 50's used them and I've loved them since.

Savage .250-3000 Powerhouse?

Doug Murray's book "The Ninety-Nine" has a reprint from the 1921 catalog,
which states that since 1914, the .250-3000, 87 gr. bullet had killed every
big dangerous game animal in the world. Alaskan Brown Bear, Polar Bear,
Grizzly, Moose, Elk, & Caribou in North America. Tiger & Wild Boar in Asia.
Leopard, Lion, Rhino, Hippo, Buffalo & Elephant in Africa. All at the hands
of well-known American big-game hunters with exceptional experience!!

I'd love to hear everyone's feedback on this, as all of you together also
total years & lifetimes of exceptional experience, even if not around the
world, but you know the cartridge. Any opinions??

I'm sure that it's actually been done.

I'm also sure that there have been a couple of close calls, and perhaps even a nasty "mashing into paste of the great white bwana" when the little cartridge with the little bullet failed to do its job.

It's called marketing hype.

Lever Action Sharpshooters

Recommend a fun book called "Huntin' Gun" by Walter R. Rodgers, published by
Washington Infantry Journal Press in 1949. May be available thru Amazon,
AbeBooks, even Barnes & Noble, Used & Out of Print. Set in early 1900's, and
about fantastic shooters & accomplishments made with their guns, observed
by Walter Rodgers as he drifted across South Texas, into New Mexico, as a
working Cowboy. Many were old Winchesters in pistol calibers, .32-20 up to
.30-30, with or without sights (broken off) breaking deer's necks, running or
not, at even 100 yards. No scopes, bolts, or modern mega cartridges for
these boys, they could just SHOOT, with whatever they had, often from
horseback, because they "knew their gun" and carried it every day. It's a
very good read, especially for boys just starting out! DL at Rafter M Ranch

99f .300

i have a chance to get one of these but know nothing about savage lever actions . i guess they're good by previous posts. the guns serial#679150 does anyone know something about this guns value. i am a lever action fan and have 2 marlins a 45-70 and a 30-30 and a 300 would fit in nicely

Just picked up a 99f in 308 - 901xxx with 2 ovals on the lever boss, one with 923 and the other with SP. Anyone have an idea as to date of mfr.?

Hmmm I have a Savage 99E Series A in 300 Sav. serial E102xxx looked all over that rifle and I can't find any stamping other than on the barrel. Is it possible it has worn off or was never stamped.

I have seen some E models wwith the clunky birch stock that have very odd markings on them almost to the point of wondering what savage wasdoing with them.....

I have an E model in .243 that just says Savage arms, ,243 winchester. thats it, no serial, no dates, no addresses.

Ah, this Model 99 thread makes my stomach drop a little. I bought a 1921, 250-3000 from a neighbor in 1978. I had it tapped for bases and put a 4X scope on it and it was an amazing shooter for me. I knew next to nothing about Model 99s but my neighbor had bought it from the elderly original owner and it was just sitting around. For a hundred bucks, I had something to go hunting with and grew to love it. I refinished the stock and cleaned it to factory fresh.

In 1980, it was stolen right off the gun range in Petaluma, California. I was chatting with the farmer who owned the range and not paying much attention to a couple of guys a couple of benches down. Damn if they didn't pack up to leave and took my gun with them. They were out the gate and out of sight by the time I realized what had happened.

I was working at the Sheriff's Dept., comm center, and put the gun in the system myself, but it never found its way home. :barf: I've often thought about finding another one like it, but they sure ain't turning them loose for a hundred bucks anymore.

That was a sweet little lever gun. That rotary magazine with the window showing the number of rounds left was just plain cool, too.

Just because they're at the range doesn't mean they're the good guys.

Hello LNF

ain't turning them loose for a hundred bucks anymore

One week ago I stopped in at Cabela's in Sydney, NE. They were having some sort of "classic" gun sale. Among other 99s, there were two 99EGs: one in 300 Savage and one in 250-3000. Serial numbers in 700xxx range. Both were beautiful. Asking prices $800 plus.

"Just because they're at the range doesn't mean they're the good guys."

Some of my friends always laughed at me for carrying concealed when I go to an outdoor range...

Sodbuster, I've been to the Cabela's in Sydney, Neb - not just lately but a couple of times in recent years. Maybe I should have been there. ;) 800 bucks... hmmm. I certainly didn't know what I had or ever imagine where it was going - value wise and thief wise. I'd like to have that gun again but I'm not a collector, so I never had the justification to fork over that kind of money for an old gun. On the other hand, 28 years is a long time to miss a much loved gun! :)

I can understand why people want them, and not just to collect but to shoot. Something about the weight and balance I suspect, along with the overall feel and fast lever. I rarely shoot offhand these days, but it was particularly good for that kind of fun.

I know this thread is old but I'd rather use this than start a new one.

Anyone have the date for a savage 99 with the serial number 602xxx?
I didn't see any letters on the lever, just the number 24.

Info would be great, Thanks!

model 99A

need some info on a model 99A in a 250-3000. has a twenty inch barrel. ser.# B109xxx book tells me 1971 but dosent show a 20 inch barrel. shows 22 inch. any tips would be great. thanks.

The 99 was a great gun. I wish they'd come back.

The .358 was a great cartridge for what it was. I'd love a 99 in .358 as deer gun around here. 220 grain bullet would be perfect.

I believe you can get them from a custom makers in most modern chamberings, but they run about $6000. That price shows how well the originals were made and why they are and will be so valuable.

I have one in 300, from the early 40's I think. I love to find one that was rechambered in 270 savage (wildcat), a very intriguing round IMO. It isn't very practical but would be cool to own.

For earlier posters, there are NO factory-issue .308 Model 99's from the early 50's, since the .308 wasn't introduced until 1955, and Savage didn't get around to lengthening the 99's internals & introducing a .308 Model 99 until 1957.

And, NO - a .300 Savage Model 99 cannot be easily converted to .243/.308/.358/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back