Safe distance to shoot steel?

To answer the OP: the recommended min distances should indeed be followed, though many don't without issue. It is more for shooter and bystander safety than for target health.

There is always an element of risk involved but if hung correctly at at least a 20 degree angle, the most likely thing to send spall back at you is a secondary ricochet. That being a fragment deflecting off the target, and then hitting another surface that sends it off in an unexpected direction. That could be mounting hardware, the side of a pit in the target, a rock on the ground, etc. I've found that mounting with round bolt heads like on carriage bolts leave the least likelihood of this since they're about as low profile as you can find. I would avoid hanging on shepherd's hooks because then you have a big protrusion out the front off of which to deflect.

Secondary deflection is also why it's important to avoid pitting (caused by higher velocity - like 5.56 has - more than mass since in the energy equation velocity gets squared). Spall can deflect off the sides of the pit/crater and head back towards the shooter.

All that said, if hung and maintained correctly steel targets of the right material (AR500, AR550, etc) can be quite safe. Many, many people use them regularly without issue. If you're interested in learning more about why angling is recommended, swinging, hardness, I wrote an article.

Stay safe, have fun.

I got some grade 8 hex bolts, finished welding and fabricating, painted everything, and shot a few rounds. Makes me wish I had started shooting steel a couple of years ago. I see why people like it. With paper targets, I feel like I have to do breath control and get a perfect sight picture and so on. With steel, I just aim in the general direction of the target and let fly.

It even helped me reconcile with my troublesome Model 60, which, after a ton of work and money, is now a very pleasant rifle to shoot.

Now we'll see how long it takes the cows to knock the stand over.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 03 27 20 steel gong stand squirrel with rounds in butt small.jpg
    03 27 20 steel gong stand squirrel with rounds in butt small.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 03 27 20 steel gong stand first shots model 60 really small.jpg
    03 27 20 steel gong stand first shots model 60 really small.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 137
Can anyone recommend a bright-colored paint that sticks better than Rust-Oleum? The black gongs are covered with truck bed coating, and it's holding on great. The orange stuff pops right off. What I really want is bright-colored truck bed coating.

Redhoundtargets, you might want to have a physicist or mechanical engineer troubleshoot your article. Some of it is not quite right. For one thing, momentum, not energy, is conserved in collisions.

You can buy ammunition that blows into dust! When it strikes steel. It also is good on human adversaries.
I personally, while teaching a class of 8, was hit by a returning 160g 38 Special reload, that hit a divot, caused by some silly person shooting steel with a 12 gauge slug! I saw it coming back, ducked to one side, it hit me in the back of my right hand. Split it wide open. Run it under cold water. Till it almost stopped bleeding. All my Students encouraging me to go to the hospital.

This is a huge No-No in Toronto Canada! Gunshot wound? I would have been there for at least ten hours. Still have the scar, I am sure I could invent a good story? Just forgot it.

Continued the class all 8 passed, you had to score 90% to pass. No more than two misses. This was a requl mandated by the OPP Ontario Provincial Police.

I can't believe how great steel is. So much less aggravation than paper. I get a lot more shooting done, and I'm moving way back. I shot paper at 7 yards, and I'm shooting gongs at over 20 yards.

Steel targets is what keeps are range going through memberships. Especially when crowded, it bis just to dngerous having people running back and forth with paper targets. A consideration for paint is walmart $1/can white. Easy to see, excepting winter. Would not waste money on good paint for target surface.

Visiting Palm Bay Police range, quite a few years ago. In talking to my Son, a federal officer, laughed at my statement that I could hit this 100 yard 2' square steel plate, hanging between chains.
My rounds carried at this time were called black talon? 147g 9mm rounds.
So I got permission to try out to hit this plate from prone. From a Sgt. friend of mine.

My carry pistol at this time was a Glock 17 with TruGlo night sights. My Son stood behind me to call the shots. Unlike firing a 5.56 rifle, no more or less instant report and clang would happen. In fact, a couple of seconds lag time was normal for that weight of 9mm at 100 yards.
So press, recoil, clang. Michael said, "Hit" two more hits. The young Fed was flabbergasted.
I felt good also. I was a good bullseye shooter. And that Glock had a good trigger. I still have it. I never sell guns.
No, I did not worry about splashback!!

It may feel like a long time, but cannot possibly be a few seconds. The flight time for the round is about 0.5 second. 0.3 second for sound to come back. No more than a second total.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Now I have a second steel array, plus 6 bottle stands I made from rebar and plate.

It takes about half an hour to make 6 stands.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04 03 20 steel gong stand II finished tiny.jpg
    04 03 20 steel gong stand II finished tiny.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 04 04 20 bottle stand for shooting 01 small.jpg
    04 04 20 bottle stand for shooting 01 small.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 124
I always hang my steel both at an angle and swinging from rubber or sections of fire hose.

I shoot rifle at 50+yds and pistol at 10+yds

The other day I was shooting paper targets on cardboard stapled to 1x1" pine wood stuck in the ground (no steel on the range at all). When I was cleaning up, I found a perfectly mushroomed 9mm hollowpoint on the driveway behind me. I have no idea whay that bounced off of. There was nothing but trees and dirt downrange (no rocks visable at all). Weird stuff happnes with guns sometimes.

The warning on steel you buy at your local store is to cover the manufactures butt.

I've shot soft steel as well as AR500 and theres certainly a difference.

My small range at home I normally shoot non magnum pistols as close as 7yards with AR steel that swings and is angled down. Never a problem. With soft steel you can shoot a .223 at 100yds and have reason to be concerned under the same circumstances.

It's all relative folks.

Back