S&W Stainless Factory Finish Horrid

Looks like someone has taken sand paper to that gun! That is not the same finish I see on most new models I have looked at lately. But I agree the finish on that gun is near Horrid.

This all reminds me of a comment I made when I was admiring a new Colt Python (about 20 years ago), one that had one of their special finishes: "Yeah, it really shows the scratches well."

Not all older guns had high polish finishes, although I cannot speak to the bluing, which I believe may have been a different process (any company, not just S&W). In fact, I owned an old long-action M&P, the ones that so many were made of, yet seem to be quite rare, and it had what I call a satin finish. Not shiny at all, yet quite attractive. I also like the matt finish found some of their later stainless guns but I don't remember having noticed any brushed stainless guns lately. But you should see my 20-year old Model 13. It has a finish that looks like--it's 20 years old. That's what you call a patina.

8shot357 -Taurus isn't a reputable gun company, Like S&W?

They are still in business!

Maybe because they have a better finish for less?

What's your point?

Whats my point?? Whats your point.... You are the one who brought up Taurus in the first place, which I still don't understand why seeing how it has nothing to do with my dissatisfaction in the finish on S&W stainless revolvers. Also I never once mentioned they were not a reputable company so once again whats your point?

If you don't like it, buy something else, and stop bashing my favorite gun company's, like Ruger also.

Sorry I talked bad about your "favorite" gun company I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. I own a number of S&W revolvers and like I said before they are the only revolvers I own. But just because I am a fan of S&W I am not going to let it blind me to the decreasing quality in products.

Last edited:
There are a lot of factors at play other than S&W wanting to "cut corners" just to make a profit.

- Legal challenges by anti-gun groups cost the company millions in litigation costs.
- Tighter environmental regs increased the cost of bluing guns.
- Rising labor rates for skilled workers
- Purchase of newer CNC machines and computers to reduce labor costs
- Rising costs of steel and aluminum
- Product liability insurance costs skyrocketed
- The impact of "our" boycott after Tompkins PLC capitulated to the Clintons
- The increase in lower-cost imports (e.g. Taurus & Rossi specifically)

The only "good" news for S&W's revolver business was Colt's exit from the market. Colt left the market when it could not produce a cost-competitive revolver and still make a profit. But then, Colt was also forced to adopt union workers under the UAW banner.

Thank the lawyers and anti-gun groups for sub-standard triggers on today's guns. Thank them also for the lack of leading-edge innovation by U.S. gun makers since they spent R&D dollars on legal defenses.

- Legal challenges by anti-gun groups cost the company millions in litigation costs.
- Tighter environmental regs increased the cost of bluing guns.
- Rising labor rates for skilled workers
- Purchase of newer CNC machines and computers to reduce labor costs
- Rising costs of steel and aluminum
- Product liability insurance costs skyrocketed
- The impact of "our" boycott after Tompkins PLC capitulated to the Clintons
- The increase in lower-cost imports (e.g. Taurus & Rossi specifically)

Also to add to the list, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Yes s&w should have a better finish for the money you pay. I looked at a new 686 yesterday terrible finish!!!I bought a ss GP 100 in august $600 otd the ss finish is GREAT! I want a 686 but not until they improve the finish on them.Or Ill have to buy a used -1 or-2 blued pistol!S&W should be ashamed of themselves for the high price junk finish they offer now.

I don't like the brushed finish either.

I bought my first S&W, a model 10, in 1970 and I still remember the deep blue finish on it, I also remember that I paid MSRP for it, $85.00. The last S&W I looked at was a 686 priced a little more than $700.00, and the side plate was covered with angle scratches, so many that I bought a matt finish Taurus 617 for ½ the price of the Smith. I also bought a can of Mothers Mag Polish and with two hour's work I had a revolver that looked better than the S&W and functioned as well as the Smith.
A rather sad commentary from a lifelong Smith fan and owner.

The real problem, IMHO, is not the fine scratches in the finish. For me, it's the lack of a matte or "frosted" finish. As Old Bear said, he used some polish and had a pretty gun. Sure. A pretty reflective gun. To me, that's a problem on a carry gun, especially one I might use at night.

On the Model 67 below, someone tried to "fix" a scratch with a 3M ScotchBrite pad and made the gun ugly below the cylinder release. Polishing it out left half the frame shiny, so I took the plunge and polished all but the cylinder. It's pretty and I've had people mistake it for a Nickel Model 15.

M67_07s.jpg

If S&W keeps this up, I might invest in a bead blasting cage and create a frosted finish for stainless gun owners. :p

Last edited:
BillCA said:
The real problem, IMHO, is not the fine scratches in the finish. For me, it's the lack of a matte or "frosted" finish. As Old Bear said, he used some polish and had a pretty gun. Sure. A pretty reflective gun. To me, that's a problem on a carry gun, especially one I might use at night.

To me, the epitome of what Bill's talking about is my pre-lock 65 LS (Lady Smith). One of the nicest Smiths made. I've always wondered why its nice frosted (satin) finish was "unique" and not a regular offering--along with why its perfect 3" barrel length has not been as regular an offering, but that's a whole 'nother puzzlement and discussion.

I keep wondering how you guys know so much about S&W finances. I couldn't tell you that much when I was getting Colt's annual reports.

I just bought a 686 plus recently, the finish was so terrible that I thought it was a used item. I don't think Smith and Wesson even bothered to polish their stainless steel. There were a ton of scratches from the production.

I have an old 66 and 686 along with some new Airweights, a JM 625 and a newer 617.
Other than the triggers and hammers (which are perfectly functional) the fit and finish are very close. The Airweights are particularly well done and if I had to pick my biggest beef is the lack of grooves on the front and back straps, this was a nice touch. As far as performance, I can’t tell any difference between them.

They aren't the same across models.

The 686 line is very rough.

The others are bead blasted. Some are polished.

For a small fee, S&W will do any of the three for you.

Mother's Mag Polish will take a Taurus, GP100, or S&W to the Colt appearance. It isn't magic.

Back