S&W Governor?

I could just imagine him trying to hit and knock the bad guy down from 30 yards away with a 410.
But then again... movie magic.

Exactly! In the hands of Harry Callahan a .410 shotshell handgun at 30 yards would totally CUISINART the bad guy! With you and me...well not so much.

Harry would probably have one of the few 28 gauge Judges that made it into the country before the BATF said, No way!
And like Dale, I can't believe we're doing this again.

Anyone have any information on case life, shooting .45acp from the .45 Colt chambers??

The .45 Colt specs .480" at the case mouth, the .45acp specs .473 at the case base. So, that's at least .007" difference back and forth firing and resizing and firing etc. Once doesn't seem to matter, twice? probably not, beyond that? Anyone KNOW if ACP case life is noticeably shorter being fired in a Governator??

Doesn't seem very reloader friendly...

Actually, the Thunder 5 beat Taurus by several years.
But at a price thst kept it out of the range of most people.
Taurus made them affordable, and S&W prices the Governor nbetween Taurus, and the Thunder Five.
So, let's say Taurus beat S&W to mass marketing the 45/410 revolver by a couple years.

Actually, under federal rules a smooth bore handgun is not a shotgun, nor is it a sawed off shotgun.
They are classified as "Any Other Weapon." It still costs $200 to make one, but subsequent transfers are only $5. Federal registration is still required.
A manufacturer with the proper licensing could make smooth bore .45/.410 pistols and sell them as AOWs with only the $5 transfer fee.

I’d say S&W doesn’t really complete with Taurus. So Taurus’ price really isn’t relevant to what S&W is asking.

Yep, the Taurus poor quality and limited feature revolver left many with the smell of gimmick in their noses.
The same exagerated "poor quality" claim by the same 45/410 is a gimmick gun snobs that hate on Taurus because they are not S&W.
Both more internet false rumors parroted over and over by self proclaimed internet experts with little to no actual first hand experience with Tautus, or the 45/410 handgun foremat.

Ive had both the taurus judge and the Gov.

to me the Governor wins easily, for 2 reasons.

It shoots shot considerably better than the taurus, the Judge was so bad it was laughable, the .45 colt was not great, but shot slugs rediculously well.

and most importantly the ability to shoot .45 acp, cheap and pretty dang accurate.

If I want to add a 3rd reason the 6th round, but to me thats not a deal breaker one way or the other.

the one thing the judge has though is options, barrel lengths, finishes, etc
and of course the price.

I personally reallly like my Governor, and feel very confident in the fact that if I had to use it, it would do the job just fine. Not my first choice but its also not a bad one .

As far as the buckshot goes, stick with the plated stuff, designed for handguns. It patterns way better than the plain jane stuff, also stay away from the "gimmicky" loadings such as the bb/discs or the 40 cal bullet and buck, Ive tested alot of it in mine and also many of my long guns and its pure trash.

Good luck!

It shoots shot considerably better than the taurus, the Judge was so bad it was laughable, the .45 colt was not great, but shot slugs rediculously well.
Not sure what Judge you had, but my Public Defender Poly shoots a +-2" group @ 10yds with 45 Colt, and a pattern that could be better described as a 3" group with the Federal Personal Defense Handgun 000 Buck at the same distance. With birdshot of #8 it produces a pattern at 10 or so feet that a nightcrawleris unlikely to escape, let alone a snake. All with a 2 1/2" barrel.

I got my judge right when they came out, it was the 3” cylinder with I believe a 3” barrel
I’m sure they are better now than then, they have had enough time to work out any kinks
, but bottom line is mine was not good.
Don’t get me wrong I think if someone wanted to take a chance in one, by all means do so.
I was just giving my personal hands on experience with mine.
I have weakness for the .410 and will usually buy something chambered in it, whether or not it’s useful, a gimmick or just plain ridiculous.
They are fun!

Oh and on a side note
I had talked to a guy who had a choke installed in his 6” judge
I forget the company that made them, or even if they still do, but very much like the contender style, said it worked great
Not sure if you could or should do that with a governor

The "choke tube" in my .45/410 Contender is not a choke tube, it only looks like one on the outside and screws in the same way into the barrel.

What it is, is STRAIGHT "rifiling" grooves, intended to at least partially counter the spin imparted to the shot column by the rifling.

Thompson Center very strongly says DO NOT shoot bullets with the tube in the barrel. I haven't checked but I think the "straightener" tube is small enough in diameter to "grab" the .410 which means its too small for the .45 to go through.

SO, a similar system in a Judge would negate the ability to mix "ball" (.45 colt) and shot (.410 buckshot) in the cylinder.

A different system might be possible, but frankly, I can't think of any that could affect the .410 shot column, and NOT be too small for the .45 bullet to go through without damage, either to the bullet, the gun, or both together.

Helping a friend in a gun shop once, and he had a Taurus brought back because the new owner couldn't load it. The extractor was off centered enough, that you couldn't even load a .410 round into it. It had to be sent back to Taurus which left the new owner without one for about 6 weeks. They did corrrect the mistake, but it was evident they had never test fired the revolver before it was sold as they couldn't even have loaded it.

Early Judges (two of them), brought out to our farm for their initial test runs, were less than sterling in performance. .45 LC, Cowboy loads, keyholed at 7 yds, though the group was around 3", and the Federal #4 buck rounds would not penetrate 1" poplar horse fencing. At 7 yds, that pattern was ~5" IIRC.

Both guns seemed quite heavy in my opinion for CC use, but would do for night stand purposes I'd suppose. Too, their triggers were abominable. YMMv, but I was not impressed.

Both guys that had them, bought on the premise that their wives could operate a revolver's simple manual of arms, as opposed to an automatic, but both triggers in DA mode were heavy enough that weak hand strength would have been a problem.

I've not heard back since that initial trial, but neither gun has been resold as far as I know. Rod

Sorry all you Taurus fans but their workmanship is shoddy at best in comparison to S&W‘s.

Buy the Governor! Forget the Judge.

Last edited:
I bought my Taurus Public Defender Poly right after they came out. In fact, when I saw it at a gun show it was the first I had heard of the PD Poly. It has performed perfectly from the very first round with one incident that was 100% ammo related. Accuracy with both 45 Colt, and 410buckshot was beyond surprising. Even with birdshot it has totally disproved the claims of tge haters. It's fit and finish is near identical to that of my only other polymer revolver. That being a Ruger LCR.
The one problem came with some Winchester SuperX birdshot. The primers were backing out enough to lock the cylinder up. At first I thought it might be an issue with the gun. But other loads, from other manufacturers, and even other loads from Winchester all worked flawlessly. In fact, in trying the same exact load fom a different lot, they even worked without problems.
Taurus workmanship if far from "shoddy". To me, my guns are not wall hanging pieces of art, or fine Rolex watch heirlooms. They are functional Timex watches that Taurus quality serves just fine without wasting money on name, reputation, and status.
Yes, I have some of those others. Form Bretta, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Sig, and others, But I have not found any reason to dislike my guns from Taurus. Of Kel-Tec, or even Hi-Point for that matter. Or not buy any more in the future.

Nothing wrong with the governor!

410 4 pellet buck from federal..

Every test shows this delivering near 400 foot pounds

4 .36 caliber balls, each trigger pull reliably putting 4 basically 32 acp rounds that group well at self defense distances. Testing regularly shows 12 plus inches of penetration.

If you dont like the multiple wound channel theory, load up 45 colts.

If you don't like those, load up your favorite 45 acp round.

It won't launch them like a 1911, but ballistics are similar to the webley round that worked for the brits.

Sometimes a big, slower bullet delivers more felt impact. The governor will launch the big bullets but slightly slower.

I think it can work and have it's place.

Do your own tests and research.

If you have any doubts just get a 357.

rules, rules, rules, I live in California, I can't even buy these because Callie says they are a short barrelled shotgun.
But a .410 with three 000 buck balls ,or a 300 grain rifled slug is not going to bounce off at close range either.
these rubber pellets might be fun for peppering trespassers or animals you maybe not ought to kill
image_zpspj1j2zhj.jpeg

Back