S&W 945

Status
Not open for further replies.
HowardK, thank you for your advice. Kevinch, try to stay on topic. I'm embarrassed that it took me this long to realize how far from the purpose of this thread we have strayed.

Paladin, I do not believe you have been here long enough to presume to tell your fellow members how they should post.:rolleyes:

BTW, if it is any consolation I'm embarrassed for you to.

All due respect, Gunslinger, but I think I've been involved in the art of conversation long enough to know that his evaluation of HowardK's post was not only incorrect, but indicative of a mindset that I am opposed to. To post something like that shows a belief that the topic of the thread has changed. If you want to change the topic, start your own thread. I started this one to learn about the Smith and Wesson Model 945. HowardK taught me about it. For this, he should be thanked, not reprimanded.

And to address the tone of your post, I'm all for filial piety, but I don't think that having been on TFL for a long time grants anyone any more power to judge others' posts. If you seriously believe that whippersnappers like myself should duck our heads when the great white-hair posts, then I can see no reason to attempt to communicate ideas to you.

Paladin, again you have missed my point. It is not that members should duck their heads when one of us "white hairs" post (mine is still mostly dark.:o ). The point is generally it is a staff member that takes one to task and informs them how to post and/or to remain within topic.
You seem to believe that your fellow members should be allowed to post only what you wish them to. This is born out in many of your post here. It does not work that way.

You're right, Gunslinger. If that was your point, then I definitely missed it the first time. The line that sparked my response was this one:
Paladin, I do not believe you have been here long enough to presume to tell your fellow members how they should post.
If it's possible to not have been here long enough to presume to tell one's fellow members how they should post, is it then possible to have been here long enough to do so? This quote implies that it is. If that were your position, then I would say you had claimed that an older member ot TFL (having been a member for a longer time, or possibly having posted more) would have some authority over newer members.

In your more recent post, you amended this to refer to staff members. This I find totally agreeable. I think moderators should certainly be able to step in when they feel it necessary to police a thread, within reason. However, I do not believe that this precludes me from asking a poster to try to stick to the topic I stated when I started the thread. If this is some kind of breach of unspoken TFL tradition, then I apologize, and invite you to attribute this slip of etiquette to my lack of experience in this forum. More importantly, if this is a clear violation of stated TFL policy, I ask you to direct me to where I can find that part of the rules that I so clearly neglected to read.

As to only wanting people to post certain things, you are correct to an extent. I want people to post their opinions, ideas, and experiences without restriction within the topic of the thread. I don't want my inquiry about a certain make of gun to turn into a political forum, just as I don't want a political discussion to turn to arguments about individual firearms. I'm not going to restate my reasons for this in this post, because that would waste space. My reasoning appears earlier in this thread, and again in Westicle's S&W feminazi thread on the General Discussion Forum. I know you've read it, Gunslinger, since most of it comes in the form of responses to your posts. :D

I have to agree with PaladinVC on this one. Regardless of what we think about Smith and Wesson political actions, this thread was dediccated to model 945 pistol, so if you have anything to say about the gun, please do so, otherwise keep opinions to youself or start a new S&W bashing thread (how original) in the L&P forum.
I think that moderators shoulh have killed this thread long ago, when it just started to turn nasty, uninformative and unoriginal.

Paladin, my turn to apologize now.;)
I should have worded that differently. I can see in retrospect how it could have been interpreted I meant "newbies" and not staff.
That is one of the great things about TFL. We never know when we get a new member what fields they may in fact be experts in. I never assume because someone is new it means that I may not be able to learn from them.

Regarding another statement you made in one of your previous post;
I see nothing wrong with purchasing a used model 945. It does in deed demonstrate that one has good taste in guns.:D If the new company drops the agreement the 945 is one of those that I have mentioned that I plan to get. n fact if they drop the agreement it will cost me a small fortune in the first few weeks.:D

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back