S&W 686 Plus vs Ruger GP100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone called my beautiful GP100 UGLY? Oh the hurtfulness of it!

I stand corrected. The GP100 can be made beautiful. But I still can't get over the grips in comes with and will always love my S&W over the GP100.

I've had a 686+ 4-incher for a number of years and it's one of my favorites ... I do own Ruger revolvers, but not the GP100 ... I'm a big fan of the 686, probably one of the two or three guns in my collection I'll never sell .. accurate, heavy enough to deal with recoil, great trigger ...

686 or GP100

I owned a 686 from the 1980's. I swapped it for an auto. I now have a GP100 because it was so much cheaper to buy than the 686 and not much difference. The 686 is a little shinier, a Little smoother, but the GP100 is very solid. I now have the funds to go after a 686, but it just doesn't make any sense. I am perfectly happy with the GP100. It now has a very smooth trigger and shoots just as good as the Smith. I would say the resale is about the same as what you originally pay for them. They are both great guns, however i would go after an older 686 than a new one with the lock. There is nothing wrong with the GP 100 either. They are both excellent choices in the 357 Mag class. I like the stainless GP100 in todays new gun market.

Just bought a 5 inch GP100 after looking at a new 686. The 686 was off on timing on two chambers brand new. The GP locked up like a vault. Shot it today..extremely accurate. No regrets

Unless having 7 shots is important I'd say it's a toss up. You'll be happy with whichever one you can find first, at a a reasonable price.

Have owned both. Both are excellent wheel guns. Personally prefer the S&W because I can tune it better.

The GP has some advantages. They are easy to take apart and clean. The front sight allows you to attach a rail with no drilling.

Here is a pic of my GP with a Weigand rail. Takes about 5 minutes to install.

Good Lord that is a beautiful gun! I want! :D

Another vote for the GP-100.
6 shots and then one heck of a hunk of steel to throw as the 7th shot!

LOL! and the GP is so rugged you can then pick it up after throwing it and load it and shoot it 6 more times. :eek:

This thread pushed me over the edge.....I bought a 4" GP100 in SS yesterday, now I need to find some nice grips and a FO front sight. :D

Great choice, I have the 6" GP100 and love it. I totally agree on fiber optic front sights, at Midway search for Marble sights, the ones they list are for the Redhawk and Super Redhawk but they fit perfectly on the GP100. I have a Super Redhawk as well so I know they fit both guns, I don't know why their not listed that way.

If you want another brand go to Dawson, I have his front sight as well, its a little more refined than the Marble but the fiber optic is also smaller, its about half the size of the Marble but is still plenty big to see.

I love the GP's and will be getting a 4" as well, I bought the 6" for the range and for a little better accuracy. Every time I went to buy a Smith the guy at the stores, (5 different stores) persuaded me to get a GP, they all said they've seen more problems with the Smith, I was on the fence so I got a GP and love it.

If I wanted to slick up an action, I'd go with the S&W. If I wanted a revolver that can take a beating and keep working, I'd go with a Ruger. Ruger revolvers are tough like a Russian tractor. Both the Texas DPS and Colorado State Highway Patrol tied Colts, S&W and Ruger revolvers to a rope and dragged them through the desert. Only the Ruger (older SS model) survived and kept working. That's how tough they are.

Nice GP100, hulley. Might I suggest looking into Williams Firesights for you FO needs. It's a red FO front sight and a green FO rear sight. Really great contrast to pick them up easily. Here's mine with the Williams sights, Altamont Snakeskin grips and, what you can't see, Wolff 10lbs hammer spring and trigger return spring. Really like this set up although the Weigand rail and red dot set up in an above post is making me interested in trying out that set up, too. :D

DSC_0164.jpg

And these are Williams Firesights.
DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

I made a topic on another forum about choices between meprolite night sights and putting a Ultradot Matchdot 2 on my GP100. This thread here has yeilded more info. I like the 3dot picture of the night sights and day visibility with them is also sweet. But red dots always seem to give me quicker shots, more accurately. Skidder any more info on that set up? At what distances do you shoot with that? What red dot is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back