S&W 686 Plus vs Ruger GP100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 6" no dash 586 and will stick with it over Ruger

DSCF1535.jpg

I`ve shot probably more than my share of DA 357 revolvers & while Rugers can be had with QC issues they give me less maintence/mechanicl problems than anything I`ve shot.

If there could be 1 thing I could change on Rugers DA platforms is I`d shorten the trigger stroke , while it can be massaged into a buttery smooth pull/crisp as glass breaking SA it`s still fairly long.

I think both guns are great, but I would give the edge to the GP 100, I like the cylinder release on the Ruger better. I think the Ruger is also built tougher.

I bought a 2013-vintage GP100 3" about two months ago.
The trigger, with no work, is better than the well used older Smith's I own...great, smooth DA, and crisp SA.
I used to own a 686-1. It had a four inch barrel, and I shot it well enough, but it suffered in comparison to my Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. I ended up selling it after a couple range visits, it just never wowed me.
This GP, on the other hand, just amazes me. It is very accurate, and the fixed sights shoot to POA.
The Hogue grips supplied by Ruger are big and ugly, but I found they performed well for shooting.
As soon as I found some for a reasonable price on eBay, I replaced them with compact Lett grips, the OEM Ruger grip for the 3" GP. They make the GP much more compact, and shoot great.
My 2013 GP, at least, is a keeper.

But one is drop dead sexy, the other utilitarian.

Which one is which?:D Looks are a matter of opinion. I went with the blued GP100 with a 6" barrel. It handles full power .357 like my 4" model 65 handles 38Sp+P, which to say little recoil. 38Sp recoil is barely noticeable. I like to shoot at 50 yard targets, so the 6" barrel makes that a little easier. I did not plan on conceal carrying this gun so the extra length and weight are not an issue. If I did carry this gun it would be in a pack of some sort or maybe a chest or shoulder rig. I don't go out in the woods much and don't foresee this changing anytime soon. This is mostly a range gun. So far I am happy with it.

@KMAX

I have the 686+ seven shot 6 inch and I conceal it easily IWB no holster. Just have to be carful getting in and out of the car else you'll bust a nut. They are very safe guns to carry like this as long as you're not a clumsy guy. I also carry it holstered on hikes and hunt with it.
-SS-

I have a 6" Ruger GP100 and the 4" S&W 686+ ... both are great guns and you are not going to go wrong with either. Personally I would give the slightest of edges to the Ruger for the following reasons:

1. The Ruger is built just as well and is about $100 cheaper.
2. The Ruger trigger is actually better on DA although I'll give the edge to the Smith on SA.
3. The Ruger allows the user to easily swap out the front sight.
4. Ruger just seems to have gotten everything exactly right with current production GP100s. These are beautiful guns. When my wife wanted her own handgun, we chose the GP100 6" for her as well.

The 686+ is a fabulous revolver. Nothing above is meant in any way to criticize the Smith. Smith triggers tend to mellow with use and my 686+ is doing that.

I would go with the Stainless over Blued, but that is such an individual choice that no right or wrong decision can be made. Blued shore is purty. The Stainless is easier to restore to "gunstore cleanliness" since you can see any carbon residue.

I have shot 2 GP 100s recently and they felt good a --- 4" and 6". DA pull was smooth.

All my centerfire revolvers are S&W pre-lock but would not hesitate to get a Ruger GP100 if I want another L-frame sized revolver.

I was able to compare a GP100 to a 686 SSR at my LGS last year. I went with the GP100 because it fit my hand a little better and the internal finishes were smoother (bore, chambers, crown, etc..)
Now it's been about a year and I'm very happy with my choice. I'm especially thrilled to be doing the best DA shooting of my life, mostly due to the fit of the gun in my hand I'm sure.

Unless you're mounting a scope, I believe none of Ruger's Double Action Revolvers can compete with S&W. I have a 686 and a Super Redhawk .44 mag with a scope and I'm thrilled with both, but outside of hunting, I much prefer the S&W over the Ruger.

Ruger does own the market when it comes to Single Action revolvers but I've never been a fan of their DA .357s.

I know some will disagree, but I've just never seen the draw of Ruger GP100s, they're ugly and don't feel good in my hand especially compared with the beauty and grace of a 686.

I've got a 686+ and its a fine revolver, mine is one of the pre-lock guns. I've got Ruger DA revolvers in 44 Special and in 45 Colt and they are excellent. Pick whatever one strikes your fancy and you won't be wrong with either one.

I know some will disagree, but I've just never seen the draw of Ruger GP100s, they're ugly and don't feel good in my hand especially compared with the beauty and grace of a 686.

Stick the ugly rubber grips on the 686 and it is ugly also, IMO. Put nice looking wood grips on it and make it in blue and it is a sight to behold (wait, that's the 586 :D) but I like the feel of the rubber grips when shooting full power 357. I think the GP100 looks "tougher". Don't ask me to define that.

Pick whatever one strikes your fancy and you won't be wrong with either one.

Two other reasons I went with the GP100 is it was a couple hundred cheaper than any price I could find on a 686 in my somewhat limited search. And I actually found a GP100. Everywhere I asked they didn't know if or when they might get a Smith. I am happy with my GP100 so far.:D

Last edited:
The GP has some advantages. They are easy to take apart and clean. The front sight allows you to attach a rail with no drilling.

Here is a pic of my GP with a Weigand rail. Takes about 5 minutes to install.

GPweav2_zps12f853d4.jpg

Last edited:
@ Rogervzv: Where did you get those wood grips? It looks awesome. As good or better than any 686 or 586 I ever saw.

Having owned both, the S&W is nicer in finish and trigger work, but the Ruger is tougher and it's got a pretty good trigger on it. If the two were set in front of me, I'd pick the GP100 any day of the week, it's a better value for what you pay for.

I really like Ruger revolvers. Started out with blackhawks. The GP100 is a great gun. I have owned a 686 years ago and traded it for a Ruger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back