S&W 1854 PCC

In the 1970's a typical Marlin 336 would cost you around $125, a Winchester a bit less. A Remington 700 would cost about $175 for an ADL and around $200 for a BDL.

Even then lever actions were more complex and harder to build. In reality they should have cost more, but the cost to manufacture something rarely has anything to do with cost to the consumer. People were willing to pay more for bolt rifles back then.

Today we're seeing bolt rifles selling for much less than levers which more accurately reflects the cost to manufacture. A bolt, or any other rifle with nice wood and well finished metal will still cost you 4 figures. That is less important to todays shooters.

bamaranger said:
Three and a half grand, for a PCC lever carbine!!!!!! A decade ago I bought a used full size 4WD for $1000 less and am still driving it!

It would take over $3,200 of todays dollars to have the same purchasing power you had a decade ago. So if you were to buy the same pickup you'd have to pay nearly the same amout as the rifle. The rifle would probably be a better investment long term, though probably not as useful as a 4WD.

The way S&W integrated M-LOK into their clone of Marlin was very tasteful. Everyone else goes bananas with cheap handguards that do not match stocks.

In the 1970's a typical Marlin 336 would cost you around $125, a Winchester a bit less. A Remington 700 would cost about $175 for an ADL and around $200 for a BDL.

The 1974 Gun Digest lists the MSRP of a new Marlin 336 at $115, a Win 94 at $104 and a Rem700 ADL at $154.95 ($ 15 more for a 7mm Mag) and the BDL at $174.95 and $189.95 in magnum calibers (and .17 Rem)

A Winchester model 70 was $179.95 standard calibers, and $194.95 for magnums. $264.95 for .375 H&H and the model 70 African was $359.95

In 1974, I didn't quite make $300 a month....

It's difficult to rationalize the price of a firearm that costs more than a used truck.

Maybe, for you. I can visualize it, easily, though rationalizing it is a different matter...:D High end guns have always cost more than average grade cars and trucks. OF course, those of us who don't have much money never even consider that class of guns, and a car/truck is a daily necessity for most of us.

So, $1,279.00 for the synthetic stocked version.... Yes, if I wanted it bad enough, I could figure out a way to justify it. But I don't want a synthetic stock... No worries, for merely $2,200.00 more, almost tripling the price, they've got one in Walnut! Now if you think that's targeted to the working class, then your, "work", pays a heck of a lot better than my work.
I stand by my previous comment:
They don't seem to be priced for the working class....

Just the day before yesterday I stopped in someplace local and they had just got in a Marlin 1894 Classic in 357 Magnum. Their price is $1,069. Blued with Walnut stock, the Ruger-built Marlin is very nice indeed! They had one each in 357, 44, and a 45-70.
Now, how am I supposed to sleep at night?

Last edited:
Just the day before yesterday I stopped in someplace local and they had just got in a Marlin 1894 Classic in 357 Magnum. Their price is $1,069. Blued with Walnut stock, the Ruger-built Marlin is very nice indeed! They had one each in 357, 44, and a 45-70.
Now, how am I supposed to sleep at night?
There's only one cure for that type of insomnia. I brought this home a couple of weeks ago (yes, an 1894 Classic in 357 Magnum), and I'm sleeping like a baby now!

full

full

Frank

SMITH screwed the receiver of a Marlin onto the rear of a Henry barrel & magazine.....And they put it together with TORX SCREWS.......Something I'd expect from taurus......Won't buy one ever.

I have traded for two new ROSSI R 92'S One is stainless , 16 inch barrel, 38/357
and the other is stainless 20 inch barrel 45 colt/ 454 casull, and I am really happy with them.
I traded and no cash envolved, but retail on both was about 899 for the 38/357 and 1000 for the 45 colt/454.
At the age of 73 most of my hunting days are pretty much a thing of the past, with both knees replaced , do not do much climbing or hiking anymore.
and with the game animals in south Alabama, being wild hogs, gators, and very small whitetails, well these two will handle just about anything

Hellcat1; your pictures are worth a thousand words....each! That's a nice rifle!
Gawd, I need to sleep tonight.....;)
Haha! Thanks!

I must admit, I have very little will power, and occasionally some disposable income, so sometimes I also find myself lying awake at night thinking about something I "need" to help me sleep better. This rifle was actually one of those things. Yes, I could have taken some Unisom, instead, but what fun is that?!?

Frank

I just don't see how it can compete with this...

https://www.guns.com/firearms/rifle...-lever-action-5-rounds-2-barrel-new?p=1156132

I dunno maybe I'm out there. No way I'm buying a brand new designed plastic stock lever for nearly 50% more than I would a wood and steel Henry. I'm with Bama, I predict a short production run. I don't think there's a ton of people in the new lever gun market that wants mlok mounting points on the stock, and are willing to pay a premium for it over a more traditional designed American made rifle. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong.

Edit: my link is to a 30-30 side gate, not really apples to apples. Still found one in .44 that is $300 less than that Smith

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024275282?pid=730982

Last edited:
Maybe a short lifespan, maybe not. It's not hard to push a Henry to $1100+, just add a large loop lever and octagon barrel or make it out of stainless steel. If you get deluxe walnut on your Henry you're pushing $1800.

If you want the S&W stainless synthetic lever, I'd say it's priced at what the market says they cost. Considering a Taylors 1892 or Chiappa 1892 stainless rifles are over $1500. That puts the S&W in the midrange price point without going as cheap as Rossi, of which there have been numerous discussions on lately as well.

And to add, I know that there are "different strokes" and all. Read a pretty lengthy thread on AR15.com about the modern "tactical" levers and there are some folks all into them. While I don't see the appeal, I suppose others do. I still question whether there are enough of those others that are really interested in a "tactical" lever rifle. Maybe if it's CA, IL, or NY approved. I suppose I would consider something like the SW Lever before playing with 10 round fixed mag bullet button ARs.

Certainly interesting, a lever action rifle from S&W. I like some of the features, i.e., stainless, curved grip & large loop, both side gate and mag tube loading, etc. I wish S&W well with their new rifle. I don't hunt or compete, so the PCC carbines are just enjoyable recreational plinkers for me.

I recently handled the new Marlin .357, the steel Henry .357 and the Rossi blue and stainless .357 carbines. All good looking guns, especially the Marlin and Henry. I didn't get to work the action on the Marlin, but both Rossi and the Henry functioned smoothly. The Marlin was $1299, the Henry $1085, the blue Rossi $725, the stainless $745.

From what I have seen of the new Marlins, there is absolutely no way I would consider the S&W. I am by no means a Ruger fan boy (Old Dude) and in reality own more Smiths than Ruger or Marlins.
I do have an original S&W 77A .22 cal pellet rifle, and it does have a lever. Maybe their original lever gun ;)

I own a Henry Big Boy X in 44 magnum. A "Tactical" lever action. I mounted pic rail and Trijicon MRO and plan to get a suppressor. I see some similarities between it and the new S&W -- I really enjoy my Henry and believe I would also enjoy the new S&W.

Back