S&W 1854 PCC

the '70's

I thought of the price discrepancy "back in the day" also. I well remember that Wally World sold Marlin 336's (real Marlins) for $100 bucks LESS than a 700 ADL or even a push feed M70 Win. I found an image on line of a 1970's Kmart ad price....$197 for a Marlin "straight grip" carbine. A Rem 700 ADL was $337(?), likely with walnut stock.

I live not far from a public range and scavenged brass there frequently. Up until about 1995, by far and away the most common spent case I found was.....yup, 30-30. Stick a Tasco on top of your side eject Marlin and you had a very capable whitetail rifle and a box of shells for about $250 bucks. Factory 30-30 ammo was cheaper than '06 and .270.

I'm not an economist. I can't go on about the cost of labor and materials. I have read that CNC machining can turn out parts quicker, with higher tolerances, than the old grizzled machinist with his wire rim glasses and a cigar.

Seems it would take the same amount of material in 1970 as in 2023. How much more that material costs would be a factor. Cost of labor would be a factor. Then there is profit margin, how much is being made (by who) on production v. salesl.

I dunno, but it all seems backwards to me.

OK, so how did it work back in the 70s when a new Win 94 was $105 and a new Model 70 (standard grade) was $180???
First off, I don't believe a new M94 was just $105 in 1970. You will have to provide some verifiable evidence before I accept that. But even if it was $105 in 1970 is worth approximately $830 in 2024 according to inflation calculators. That is pretty darn close to current LGS prices.

My first deer rifle was a model 94 my dad bought me from Woolco. It was just under $100 in 1976.

Last edited:
Why would anyone buy one? Because lever guns are fun.
Downside thoughts:
1) Lever guns are not that accurate. Typically 3 MOA or so is what I see most of the time in 44 and 357.
2) Ammo that shoots accurately in a revolver usually don't shoot that accurately in lever gun, but that may be related to (1) above. I've yet to find a load to shoots well in revolver and lever gun of the same caliber. Have experimented much with hand loading trying to find it, but have been unsuccessful to date. When I found the load that worked well in the lever gun, it became too brutal to shoot in the in the S&W 629.
3) 44 Mag ammo is just too danged expensive - today runs about $65 retail per box of 50, so unless you reload, it's too pricey to operate for a lot of shooters.

Two bits.....

First off, I don't believe a new M94 was just $105 in 1970. You will have to provide some verifiable evidence before I accept that.

I'm not certain it cost $105 in 1970, but I am certain that the 1974 Gun Digest listed it at $104.95, because I'm looking right at the book right now.

Same source (Gun Digest 28th Anniversary 1974 Deluxe Edition edited by John T. Amber published by Digest Books Library of Congress Catalog # 44-32588) lists the Marlin Glenfield 30A at $105 and the Marlin 336A at $119.95. The Win 94 listing is on page 335. Is that verified enough?

And, if $105 back then is $830 today, its still only 2/3 of the MSRP of $1279 for the new S&W 1854 carbine. Also if I read it right that $1279 is for their base model. SO other models are likely to be priced even higher.

It also has a threaded barrel. It’s really too bad, should’ve kept it all traditional looking.

I won't buy a brand new rifle if it isn't threaded since I started using a suppressor. Every used rifle I buy has to be one I'm willing to cut and thread.

I wouldn’t care for a lever gun with a threaded barrel. Kinda like a classic car with a big wing on the roof. To each his own.

Pathfinder45 said:
They don't seem to be priced for the working class..

What's a working class priced rifle? I have a blue collar job and if I seriously wanted the rifle, I'd just save the money. It's all in how much you want it and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. It's amazing how much money you can find by cutting out the little things.

Historically, a good gun cost about a week's pay, or a bit more, for "working class" people. A very good gun might be a month's pay for lower level earners.

@44 AMP

So a person making $15 an hour could reasonably save up for this rifle in less than a year. They'd only need to save $25 a week for the SS synthetic rifle, compared to $60 a week for the walnut version. I just think a lot of people see a $1200-3000 rifle and have sticker shock, instead of thinking I can cut back on something simple and afford it.

Cutting back is fine until unexpected expenses pop up. Tires, appliances, doc visit copay, etc. can take a real whack out of a gun budget. Add to that, a lot of things have gotten disproportionately expensive.

Pumpkin said:
Cutting back is fine until unexpected expenses pop up.

I dont want to get too far off topic here, but all I'm saying is the $1200 rifle isn't unobtainable for the average person or "working man". However, that person can't be controlled by the money they earn. If $1200 a year is too hard to budget for, then you aren't in control of your money.

I understand unexpected expenses very well. In late 2015 I had an accident that made me miss a full year of work. My wife and I were unprepared, and it was huge financially as I was the sole earner at that time. It took us from Oct 2016 when I returned to work, until Feb of 2020 to get rid of all our debt except the house.

We have about two years left on the house. We decided that we would never be in that kind of situation again, it was hard and painful, but worth it in the end. Now we budget, plan and accomplish the things we want without using much credit or loans. If we use credit or a loan it's to take advantage of extra discounts, but we usually just pay cash the majority of the time.

You guys are funny. Lots of picking and demeaning here, but it seems like a decent 44 mag lever gun. If I’m buying this, it is down to this, the marlin and the Henry. This is the same price, but no cheap wood version.

So. I agree that the high end version needs a more traditional look.

I think the real difference is going to be when we go to the store and have 5 44 mag lever guns in front of us for $800-$1250, which one will feel and run the best. It will be a lot about in the hands feel and looks. In 44mag, I would lean towards quickest sights, smoothest action and best trigger feel.

I worry a bit that this will be another MIM filled S&W product that won’t pass the gun store comparison. I sure hope I’m wrong!

$3499

Three and a half grand, for a PCC lever carbine!!!!!!:eek: A decade ago I bought a used full size 4WD for $1000 less and am still driving it!

Thinking about the whole price of stuff issue, it's not so much the average guy can't afford it. Sure you can manage your money, save, scrimp and buy something. One less time eating out, that sort of thing. The real issue is what the average guy is willing to spend for it. It's difficult to rationalize the price of a firearm that costs more than a used truck. It's difficult to keep shooting as much as you did, when you have to pay 3x what you used to pay for reloading components just a few years ago.
Ruger Americans, Tisas and RIA will continue to sell guns because folks are willing to pay that amount, it doesn't seem unreasonable. Again, I don't think it will last long.

Back