Rugers rifles are bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently own 2 Ruger 77s that are 2009-2010 vintage. They work and shoot fantastic. I also own 6 Ruger revolvers. After your post, I'm going to buy another Ruger rifle.

My "POS" Ruger 77 is the original type, with the tang safety. Have been using it for well over 20 years. Nothing I have ever shot with this gun has done anything other than come home with me. 2 moose, 4 caribou, 3 Russian Boar, 1 rather large Bear, and I don't know how many Deer.
Like I said, it's a POS, but I try to make due with what I have.
They have been in business long enough for me to think that most other folks are making due as well.
The OP is certainly allowed his own opinion, but.............................

No complaints from me for Rugers I've owned in the past. My only present Ruger rifle is a 77 Mk II in .223. Not fancy finished, true, but plenty okay; at worst I'd call it adequately finished and plenty smooth enough in operation. It does well on prairie dogs.

the bolt felt like complete crap and the internal magizine is alright but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing it was difficult to get back into the gun and it bounced around and made the rifle look much cheaper then it was priced
Hmmm.:rolleyes:

The bolt is a copy of a Mauser bolt. The original Mauser design has been acknowledged as one of the best designs in the world for over a century. The magazine follower/spring assembly was designed by Mauser for the 1892 rifles, and has been a standard and much copied feature of many rifles ever since. I know Brownings are different, but the Ruger is both well-made and a solid design. The fat-bolt designs (Tikka and Browning) feel different, but are not any better. But hey, at least you liked the Model 70 . . .

Hummmmm.........I have an old M77R in 300WM that has serviced me well for 40 years. A LOT of game has been harvested with it. Still very accurate (cloverleaf at 100yds). Bluing is still great. Stock is still beautiful. I was lucky, I had a choice of 3 in stock and purchased the pretty one. Nice wood grain, nice finish, stock fit the metal without large gaps. I had it for 2 years before I noticed that the barrel was a bit longer than other Rugers in the camps. The barrel is 26" and not 24". Yes, I checked the measurement several times and measured from muzzle to bolt face with bolt closed and locked. Your guess is as good as mine as to how it ended up with a 26" barrel. The bolt is smooth and solid. Less slop when opened than on a Remington. Magazine follower is stamped steel, but heavily built and fits the magazine well closely so there isn't much slop there either. I've heard a lot of complaints about Rugers rifles on the internet, but I have yet to run across one that was bad.

I bought one of the new Ruger Gunsite rifles this summer. Very pleased. Well, except for the OEM 10 round metal magazine. That never did make sense to me. I ordered all three versions of mags in polymer from Midway, 3, 5, and 10 round. (The 10 round polymer is shorter than the 10 round metal one.) After playing around with all of them, I decided the five round polymer was my new standard for the rifle.

I would still like to change out the factory flash hider. Never did like the looks of the Ruger Mini 14 style flash hider. But that's an aesthetics issue, not a functional one. The action of the rifle is nice. The trigger is even decent for a stock factory rifle. I've only fired it so far with the iron sights and I was easily clanging my 100 yard steel gong with surplus 7.62 NATO. Got to figure out what I want to do as far as an optic. Whether I want to go conventional scope or try a scout type.

Gregg

but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing it was difficult to get back into the gun and it bounced around and made the rifle look much cheaper

It's called a follower and the two on my 77s work as intended. Both of ours are early tang-safety 77s in .25-06 and they'll shoot into MOA all day long. I think what was probably embarrassing was not knowing how to operate a hinged floorplate.

This is kind of a noob question on my part but don't all the new Ruger bolts use their rotary magazines now? I'm just thinking about it because he was describing a standard internal box mag and not too long ago looked at what I think was a m77 and I thought it had a rotary mag... could be wrong but hence why I asked.

The only experience I have with Ruger rifles is the 10/22 I bought a few months ago... and with the exception of some crappy magazines I bought it runs like a top.

negative. their M77 rotarys all fire pistol cartridges like 357 mag, 44, mag and I might be wrong but I think theres a 45 long colt as well.

their bottleneck chambered rifles still use traditional magazines.

Methinks the OP is overthinking the follower.

When you open the floor plate, the follower and the associated spring fall out.

Don't overthink how it goes back in.

There must be some flexibility and spring for you to be able to load the magazine.

Push the top of the follower into the magazine well as you close the trap door.

This isn't brain surgery. My 77Vs as well as the two Rem700s I have all work the same way and they work well.

If you are not familiar with how they work, don't blame the gun.

Bolt guns are SWEET!!!

I've owned, shot and hunted with Ruger bolt-action center-fire rifles since I bought my first one in the early seventies. I currently own two of the original Model 77s and two MKIIs, along with a Number One and a Mini-14. I can't speak for Ruger's latest renditions because I have yet to use one but, when considering factory-made bolt-action rifles, it's my opinion that nobody builds better ones than Ruger does in terms of material, workmanship or design. I will concede that some Model 77s could benefit from a lighter trigger pull...:o

I bought the new American rifle when they came out . I'm very happy with it . I shoot 3/4 moa with it so it's accurate . I think the bolt is awesome . It does not rattle around and is pretty smooth . I have felt some nicer bolts but not for the money . If you want to feel a rattle trap of a bolt .Try the mossberg MVP , The American is so much smoother then the MVP . The stock is pretty cheep and I'm not a big fan . the trigger is very nice and crisp , no complaints there . I paid just under $400 out the door . Im not sure you can beat the price to feature/quality ratio .

OH did I mention its AMERICAN made

100 yards , Federal gold metal match on front and rear bag

phone004t.jpg

Last edited:
I had a new Hawkeye roughest bolt ever felt. I sent to Ruger 2x and was better but never smooth. My old 77 was a lot better rifle for sure. It is a shame because the Ruger is a beautiful gun. I have a friend that has one and same rough bolt. I will stay with my Remington's Savages and CZ for now.
Roc1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back