Rugers rifles are bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

not sure on the accuracy of the gun i handled around 10 hawkeye and m77's and wow, the bolt felt like complete crap and the internal magizine is alright but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing it was difficult to get back into the gun and it bounced around and made the rifle look much cheaper then it was priced... the materials used on the rugers is acceptable, i only liked one and it was a handgun by ruger - i believe ruger makes quality handguns but their rifle department needs work

the rifles i'm firmly impressed with are the winchester 70 bolt, browning a & x -bolt, tikka-sako actions.

i used a blaser for awhile but it wasnt to my liking

i believe ruger makes quality handguns but their rifle department needs work

One of my favorite experience-behind-the-gunstore-counter guys said almost these exact words to me a few years ago.

i believe ruger makes quality handguns but their rifle department needs work

I have two M77V rifles that are over thirty years old. They have never missed a beat. I don't know about the newer ones but the ones I have shoot fine.

I started reading this post and then dug my Ruger #1 in 204 our of the gun case. NOPE, its not crap. Shoots great. Hell on PDs and coyotes.

I have to admit I haven't got any of the newer Ruger Bolt guns, Mine our older, a 7 MM Rem Mag M77 and the other is a M77 in 458 Win. Both are great, but older, I got the 7 Rem Mag in 1970, it still works today. Except I think my son decided it was his.

I have not looked at one recently..but my wifes 77 Hawkeye is a well made rifle and shoots awesome.....

The only thing I got made by Ruger is the classic 10/22 (which has been flawless for thousands of rounds) so I can not really comment on their bolt action centerfires. I think the gunsite scout is a pretty nice looking rifle.

OP :p

The newer Ruger rifle line itself looks with materials and builds to fit all needs woods - composites - steel stainless or blued. All looks great but when you actually hold one and feel one at first it feels solid but as soon as you lift that bolt and have to wiggle it out of the bolt chamber that's not a good first impression! i put that hawkeye down and picked up another hawkeye stainless composite black, same solid feeling, i picked up the bolt and yet again a wiggle is needed to free the bolt and this one was factory brand new.

I then opened the steel floor plate a nice ruger logo was engraved into it, i released it to find a spring like device which is used to push bullets up into the action to be fed into the lung - barrel and you know the rest :) sadly this device was not appealing at all, not only was it flimsy feeling it was also difficult to get back into the gun. the metal sheet spring flaps easily come out of the internal magazine while trying to close the steel floor plate. i am no fan of this and i will not buy any rifles with this crude idiot device i prefer clips or a internal magazine which feeds into a secondary barrel below the actual barrel

The Ruger did have a good weight and depending on the version you choose it might be completely different experience but for me the Hawkeye M77 failed to impress

that's interesting. I have been playing around with a number of the ruger american rifles, no1s and M77s and have never once had the issue you descibe. either someones standards are very high or someones LGS is on some wholesalers ****-list.

my older brothers M77 MKII that he bought 15 years ago has never failed and every single male member of my family owns a 10/22 that have been purchased over a 15 year period or more and none of them are the crap that you describe.

have you ever thought to shoot one before making up your mind about them or do you base all of your impressions on an unloaded rifle with a trigger lock on it?

"...i released it to find a spring like device which is used to push bullets up into the action to be fed into the lung - barrel and you know the rest sadly this device was not appealing at all, not only was it flimsy feeling it was also difficult to get back into the gun. the metal sheet spring flaps easily come out of the internal magazine while trying to close the steel floor plate. i am no fan of this and i will not buy any rifles with this crude idiot device i prefer clips or a internal magazine which feeds into a secondary barrel below the actual barrel..."
Huh???

Madhat - what you describe sounds like any integral box magazine I've ever seen. Rifles have been made with floor plate magazines like that for eons.

P.S. some integral box magazines can be loaded from clips ;)

i didn't say the acuracy of rugers was bad, it just doesn't have the quality of other rifles for one to a few hundred more

The cheaper product isn't as nice as the more expensive one? Weird....

Also I'm not really sure what makes the ruger magazine any different than any other magazine i've seen, including the ones of the rifles you listed as liking.

I have a few Ruger rifles, only one is old, I wouldn't trade them for anything....... and your description of the
  • magazine spring and follower
pretty much describes every internal box magazine out there.
Have you looked at any other rifles?........:rolleyes: I think you'll find the same thing.

I suspect that madhat isn't the John Browning of our time. If the magazine apparatus was beyond his comprehension, I don't need his opinion of rifles, or hamburgers, or pretty much anything at all.

I had an M77 in .300 win mag that would print the first two rounds touching cold, so it made a good hunting rifle. After that first two, the heat would get to it, so it kind of made a bad plinker. There are better stocks, but not too many will print the first two touching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back