Rugers in 350 Legend

Why not a 300 weatherby mag? There is versatility for you. This is a little carbine round shooting revolver bullets. A round designed specifically for white tail in special states and zones. Why is the concept so hard to grasp? It is one more option in a world with hundreds of choices.

35 Whelen and 300 Weatherby Mag are great rounds. But are not straight walled and it would be a hard sell to the game warden that you thought they were.

Why not a 300 weatherby mag? There is versatility for you.

Yeah, ... only if you're a masochist with Wall Street income for the ammo budget. :rolleyes:

This is a little carbine round shooting revolver bullets. A round designed specifically for white tail in special states and zones.

Yep, I get that the 350 Legend is a limited purpose cartridge for hunters imprisoned in the odd-ball hunting states with restrictive regs.

Shuff's Parkerizing can put the .35 Whelen into a 16" 'carbine-size' Mini-G (based on the M1 Garand action), if you want a semi. The same .35W ballistics are available in the handy, short-action carbine-size bolt guns chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum.

Both are 'proven' been-there/done-that set ups. More versatile than the .350 Legend, but maybe not suitable for use in the restrictive, odd-ball hunting states. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Shuff's Parkerizing can put the .35 Whelen into a 16" 'carbine-size' Mini-G (based on the M1 Garand action), if you want a semi. The same .35W ballistics are available in the handy, short-action carbine-size bolt guns chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum.

Both are 'proven' been-there/done-that set ups. More versatile than the .350 Legend, but maybe not suitable for use in the restrictive, odd-ball hunting states.

Some of these communist states are over populated with deer. More deer than hunters. And hand out doe permits like candy on Halloween. An excuse to buy a gun (rifle or shotgun)and shoot a mess of deer is not a bad thing! I dont give a crap about the politics and infact I can understand where 3500 fps rifles are not appropriate in heavily populated areas. I can hunt. That is what matters. If you cannot get it done with a 350 you dont belong in the special zones. Maybe no zone.

The day I see a 6,000 pound deer is that day I get a 35 whelen for deer hunting. The 300 weatherby was sarcasm.

223/5.56
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
350 Legend
50 Beowooof

All tend to Max out the Lightweight AR15 Platform in a specific niche area.

For engine blocks & Bullwinkle I'd take the Beowooof
For all-round/medium game/hogs I'd take the Grendel w/ a 123gr'r
. . . save where straightwall is req'd, then the Legend w/ 180gr

If I'm going to war -- on balance -- I'd still take the currently-improved 5.56

(postscript: Commercial Legend feeds fine out of a 5.56 Magazine)

Last edited:
Shot the ruger today. Can only shoot 50 yards off my deck.

Real close from bore site. Only 4 clicks right and 4 down.

The hornady 170 gr. interlock (american whitetail) shot real nice. 1/2 inch was largest group.

Happy i went with the predator with 22 inch barrel. Very accurate, and extra weight up front helps keep real steady....not to mention little extra weight. Recoil is tame. Can shoot this thing all day. And 16 bucks a box, wont break the bank.

Now, just need to shoot at 100.....and hopefully report on bullet performance on deer.

Take this for what it's worth, the .350 may not be legal in all states because of bullet Dia. The states that mandate .357 dia may not let you run your .350 legends. Winchester screwed the pooch on this one and should have ran .358 bullets which is O.K. by me cause the Max is way more gun, No brag, Just Fact!

Shot the ruger today. Can only shoot 50 yards off my deck.
Real close from bore site. Only 4 clicks right and 4 down.
The hornady 170 gr. interlock (american whitetail) shot real nice. 1/2 inch was largest group.

:rolleyes:

Hounddog dude, the group size at 50-yds doesn't tell us squat about the inherent (precision) accuracy of the cartridge.

Nor does it really indicate what the cartridge's 'hunting accuracy' might be, which is a 'looser' concept of accuracy developed over the decades to placate the psychology of all the trigger-jerking Bubbas out there (current phraseology calls it, 'minute of deer, 'minute of critter,' etc).

Shoot several 5- and 10-shot groups at 100-yds for 'hunting' accuracy. Then shoot several more such groups at 200-yds for precision. Then get back to us with a range report and pictorial evidence.

:cool:

The states that mandate .357 dia may not let you run your .350 legends
The LEGEND runs (wants) 0.357 diameter/jacketed ammunition.
(and 0.357 - 0.358 dia cast -- ask me how I know ;) )

https://winchester.com/Blog/2019/09/Winchesters-New-350-Legend-Ammo
Much like 357 Magnum, the 350 Legend is loadedwith a .357-inch-diameter bullet, within the SAAMI tolerances. (Rifled barrels, whether in handguns or long guns chambered for the 357 Magnum, 357 Maximum, or 350 Legend all have groove diameters of approximately .355 inches. That translates to a bullet exiting the muzzle with the same approximate diameter of every bullet when fired from all of these cartridges.)

... but.... as reported on the Internet.... the 350 Legend ain't legal `cause it's not .357 :eek:

Last edited:
No crap.

I clearly stated i use my back yard range to site in and save effort amd ammo.

And no, i will never shoot the 350 at 200 yards at paper or deer.

Heading to the range next weekend to fine tune at 100.

Back