Rugers in 350 Legend

Or just get a 450 Bushmaster and have a 45-70 AR with almost the same trajectory as the 350, and around 50% more thump when it gets there!

When I look at a new or any cartridge a big consideration is the rifles available. I get the AR option. I there is a place for these straight wall specials in bolt guns. That is the MAX, the BM and 350. Good brush guns for deer with more range than the 44mag. The rifle dejour is the cz 527 bolt action mini mauser. I would buy another 527 carbine in 350. The 527 will only accept AR size rounds. The near obsolete 35 Rem would not fit. I got a ruger in 450BM, which seems good. In fact the 527 are almost too nice. The Ruger is a no worry expendable rifle. It would be an excuse if not a need.

I like the 350 concept. It seems like a just right New England deer cartridge. And obviously a special zones in certain states option. This maybe the first round designed specifically for these states. The others were all around before that. On another note, the 350 is a special states loop hole cartridge for hunting in high population zones. Maybe it is time for these states to define the appropriate ammo in terms of ballistics rather than case design?

from release

"The new cartridge is a .223 case blown out to have straight walls, making it a perfectly viable choice for those states which require the use of a straight-walled rifle cartridge for deer hunting. The bullet diameter is listed as .357″, and the rimless design will require the cartridge to headspace off the case mouth."

Legend?

Check out the stats on .357 Maximum.

Now that would be a good semi-auto platform for Ruger. They should resurrect their Deer Slayer carbine.

It's for AR crowd, legal deer cartridge in limited states. Has some merit for women and kids but not something I need. Got to many better deer guns. I was hoping it was going to be like a 444/44, a maximum length 357. I never looked hard at straight cased cartridges until Ohio came out with them legal for deer. There is only so much you can squeeze out of one reguardless of caliber.

The minimum of 38cal makes it rough on bullet choice. When you go to light end of scale to get velocity the bullets are short and blunt. Not lending to long range accuracy. To get a spitzer type the weight gained drops velocity to point you aren't gaining anything for range.

Being Ohio hunter from SE hills most deer are taken under 100yds. I wanted a rifle that will cover that but also give a chance at the buck that walks into open at 150+ yds. Keep in mind this is under hunting conditions, not what your gun will do off bags on a range at known distance. I'm still looking for the perfect gun for this. Presently fooling with 375w in #3 Ruger, close as I've got so far.

The current trend is to build suppressor ready rifles, I think when the .350L was designed this was a consideration of Winchester as well. 16-18" barrels seem to be the sweet spot for people wanting to use a suppressor on a rifle.

I agree on the 'suppressor ready' trend in modern rifle set-ups (bolt or semi), and for that reason barrels on the shorter side are preferred - i.e., staying non-NFA with 16"-18".

Overall weight is also consideration in keeping the tube shorter - i.e., rifle + optic + can.

That said, the 350 Legend ain't a 'legend' yet. At best it's an unproven round. I hear a lotta ballistic 'blackboard theory' about what the cartridge is capable of - 'should-do,' 'might-do,' 'could-do.'

And some folks are getting waaay ahead of themselves talking about it as the next go-to 'bear-stopper.' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
several gun rag hunting stories out there.
Dropping deer and Pigs as well as anything else out there.
Unproven it ain't.

I want one.

I'm hoping for a 10inch 350 upper with full capacity magazines for home defense, farm use.
I read that Ruger now has an AR style "pistol" out with a 9.5 inch 350 Legend barrel. I'm curious whether anyone has actually chronographed any factory 150 gr or 180 gr loads out of a 9.5 inch barrel? I'm aware of the guidelines for estimating loss of velocity, but am curious what the real numbers are.

I just picked up a Ruger American in 350 legend.

The model with green stock and 22 inch barrel.
Think its the Predator.

Can anyone fill me in on ballistics? If dead on at 100, how high will i be at 50?

Generally speaking of course for hunting rounds. Probably start with the 170 gr Hornady interlock.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.

So an inch, inch and a half high at 50 should be good.

I can only shoot 50 yards off my deck. Like to site in at 50 at home...then head to the local range for 100. Saves ammo that way and gets me darn close.

I emailed Ruger Customer Service asking about what velocities could be expected out of their 9.5 inch pistol barrel with standard factory loads, such as the 150 and 180 grain from Winchester. Ruger's reply indicated that they don't have that information and that my inquiry may be forwarded to an ammunition manufacturer.
I probably should have phoned Ruger.....

I emailed Ruger Customer Service asking about what velocities could be expected out of their 9.5 inch pistol barrel with standard factory loads, such as the 150 and 180 grain from Winchester. Ruger's reply indicated that they don't have that information and that my inquiry may be forwarded to an ammunition manufacturer.
I probably should have phoned Ruger

Outstanding C.S. right there, huh?

Not sure what the point of the cartridge is in a bolt action. It's rimless, it's meant for semi-autos. Want a bolt action that shoots a .35 caliber 180grain bullet going 2100 fps? Get a .357 Maximum.

Interesting viewpoint...but i’ll Take my bolt rifle rimless!

I was use to my 20” M16. But the 14’ was just as deadly and easier to maneuver with. So I ended up going with shorter barrels in my hunting rifles for the same reason. Where I hunt, most shots are 75-100 yrds. So a shorter barrel works great in areas of heavy vegetation. Now if I lived out West in the plains, I am sure I would not be bothered about maneuvering through vegetation as much as out East. And would have more long range firearms than short to midrange.
On a side note, I put together a 350L out of my spare parts box and a complete upper I found for $205 plus shipping. It’s a 16”.

First of all the point is a deer legal cartridge in many states. And most would rather hunt with a bolt action that a semi. Not to mention those states where semis are not legal for deer.

And 350 legend is much easier to find and much cheaper than 357 maximum.

Not to menion the countless bolt rifles in 223.

Not sure why the 350 legend does not make sense to you.

I question why it took so long.

Back