Rugers in 350 Legend

BBarn

I see Ruger has introduced three rifles chambered in 350 Legend, two bolt action Americans and one in their semi-auto AR 556 model. I'm interested in the American, but would prefer at least a couple more inches of barrel. Not a big fan of 16" barreled rifles.

350 legend, like other pistol calibers, likely loses performance in longer barrels. So probably a good reason behind not offering them in anything but 16” length. Popularity could also play a factor. For that caliber I would prefer shorter than 16” honestly.

Winchester, who developed the cartridge, chose a 22" barrel length for their bolt action (XPR) chambering the cartridge. That may be a bit longer than optimum, but I obviously have no experience with the cartridge.

The Ruger 77/357 uses a 18.5" barrel. I would think the additional case volume of the 350 Legend could benefit from a longer barrel more than the smaller 357 case of the same bore diameter.

SAAMI references a muzzle velocity of 2250fps for the 145gr bullet from a 16" barrel. So perhaps a 16" barrel is closer to optimum than a 22" one.

I wouldn't call the 350 Legend a pistol caliber since it was developed for rifles. It will be interesting to see how well the caliber catches on, and whether any production handguns are produced in the caliber.

350 legend, like other pistol calibers, likely loses performance in longer barrels.

It was developed as a rifle cartridge. I don't know of any pistols chambered in it. Even the parent cartridge is a rifle cartridge.

I am very intrigued by this cartridge, as it seems well suited to the realities of hunting where I do in the North East. Long range isn't needed, so a nice big bullet at moderate velocity that my wife or kids could handle in the recoil department is appreciated. Nearly perfect actually.

My only regret is that we're not getting any "higher quality" firearms chambered in this caliber yet. Winchester released their budget rifle (the XPR), instead of the traditional Model 70. Same with Ruger, we get their cheapest rifle as our only bolt option. Hopefully it will catch on and we'll start to get some nicer guns in this caliber down the road.

I would buy a Mini 350. I think it would be a good close range deer rifle. Might be better than the mini 30. I don't have any need for a bolt 350L.

I would buy a Mini 350. I think it would be a good close range deer rifle. Might be better than the mini 30. I don't have any need for a bolt 350L.

That's funny, because I have no need for a Mini in that caliber haha. Different strokes for different folks.

Not sure what the point of the cartridge is in a bolt action. It's rimless, it's meant for semi-autos. Want a bolt action that shoots a .35 caliber 180grain bullet going 2100 fps? Get a .357 Maximum.

I see Ruger has introduced three rifles chambered in 350 Legend, two bolt action Americans and one in their semi-auto AR 556 model. I'm interested in the American, but would prefer at least a couple more inches of barrel. Not a big fan of 16" barreled rifles.
precision shooter said:
350 legend, like other pistol calibers, likely loses performance in longer barrels. So probably a good reason behind not offering them in anything but 16” length. Popularity could also play a factor. For that caliber I would prefer shorter than 16” honestly.
For bullets under .41 caliber, 16 inches is fine, but 20 inches is better; velocity really picks up with them. For .44 and .45 a 16 inch barrel is perfect. Using BBTI's data on .44, 16 inches seems to get the most out of the velocity and at 18 inches of barrel the velocity either goes down with some loads or it very minimal gain, 25 fps at the most.

I don't see 20 inches in the big bores adding much more velocity. If there's almost no gain in velocity, what's the point in adding 4 inches of barrel length? Sight radius? Okay, fair enough, but a scope would be better. For lever actions, more rounds in the tube? So long as you have a gate on the side, capacity isn't an issue.

I agree. I think that would make the Mini a great hog gun in an American caliber. As I've told Ruger's CEO, I'd be 1st in line for one if they decide to make it. (However, I'm guessing that they decided that it would compete too closely with their Mini 30 so I'm not expecting them to come out with one anytime soon.)

I own a pair of TC Encores in .357 Max, one is a 16 inch MGM barrel and the other is 24 inches MGM. The 24 inch will do a little more then 300+ FPS more the the short tube.because of longer burn time with slower powders. The new Winchester .350 looks to me to be detuned to run in 16 inch carbine gas systems and if used in a strong bolt gun i'm sure there is still a little peddle left to push. As far as short barrels go I won't buy them for hunting because of the blast they give off, My grand kids sit with us when we go Deer hunting and young kids a muzzle blast don't go well together.

I agree with that, still not everyone has the money for a can. I took a ride up to Randy's in Bad Ax Michigan last fall to pick up a 22" .450 Bushmaster Ruger American and I remember Randy saying sales for longer barrels were very good.

I just picked up a American compact in 350L the other day and it seems like a very solid well functioning rifle. I say that because I haven't got around to firing it yet but will within the next week. I could only find 145gr ammo for it locally and it was very decently priced, so I bought 100 rounds as I really want the brass for reloading when I see load data available for it. I have the rifle topped with a 3-9x40 scope and I like the short barrel and compact stock, the rifle fits me well. The mag that comes with this rifle is limited to 5 rounds, but fits and functions solidly in the rifle. All in all it seems like a very nice deer rifle. Heavier grain bullets will be very handy and should be sure stoppers.

Last edited:
I had the 350L to the range for the first time today, impressed I am. Very accurate and hard hitting with very mild recoil. The farthest I shot it was 160 yards and had no problem hitting small targets at that distance. This round will surprise you and I was under the impression it was going to be like a pistol caliber carbine, not so and a rifle caliber for sure. The recoil was between a 223 and 7.62 and I think it's perfect for a deer rifle. My rifle has the 16" barrel and compact FDE stock with a 5 round mag. I only shot 145gr ammo and 40 rounds was what I shot, the rifle functioned very well.

I have been shooting the cartridge [ with another name ] for over 3 years now , as have friends that I built rifles for . Both bolt rifles and AR's . We have taken several deer and many pigs with the round . I have found the 180 grain load to be the best overall . The 200 grain load is not bad either . It is very good out to 200 yards with out a problem . Winchester did not really "develop " this cartridge as I have been using it for 3 years and I know of several others who also came up with their own versions [ independently ] .

I just got home from Cabelas and they had no less than 3 different loads on the shelf including Federal 180's and Winchester.

This legend is basically the old 35 Remington in a new case. The old 35 Remington was legendary for taking deer. Now, finally it is back in a straight wall case. The old bottle neck case was a better design, but; it does not make the special deer hunting state requirements. This new case is a bit more narrow and fits in the AR. Winner! If the industry loads some blunt round nose (35 REM)bullets the deer may drop before the trigger is pulled. I guess some plastic tip pointy bullets might work almost as well. OMG, this uses 357 bullets and not 358??? I guess this precluded using any of the proven 35 bullets. So much for my 35 Remington rant. Ok, what ever.

If this fits in an AR, then it might also work in guns like CZ or Howa mini Mauser size rifles.

(yes I am aware this is an old thread, I checked the box)

old post, but new factory rounds and rifles are out.

Ruger has 20 and 22 inch barrels. The American Predator looks sweet with a 20 inch barrel.

Also - great test on youtube showing muzzle velocity from 24 inches to 10 out of a rifle.

very little difference betweed 22 and 18 inches. falls off a bit at 16.

Hornady released the Interlock in 350 legend. awesome bullet for deer.

with all the "straight wall only" states....this round ain't goin anywhere. basically a 35 rem. will be huge in the midwest deer woods.

Back