Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm Revolver

Yeah, I saw some of those complaints.

But worse was Ruger's decision to use proprietary .45acp moon clips, rather than the same moon clips that work in the S&W .45acp revolvers, like the 625s.

I hope Ruger doesn't do the same thing with this 10mm/.40 SRH. An owner should be able to use the same 10mm moon clips he used, or could've used, in the S&W 610.
Firstly, the accuracy with .45 ACP is fine out to 25 yards and it seems to depend greatly on what ammo you shoot. Federal Aluminum? Awful past 15 yards, keyholes actually. PPU? Great.

As for the moon clips, Ranch Moon makes them, 8 pack for $8 on Midway. They're tough as hell to pull the empty cases out, but going in they're fine. I'm going to experiment with them and cut a slot in between each clip like Ruger does and see if it makes it any easier to remove the cases.

I have no doubts Ruger will continue to make proprietary clips for their revolvers. $5 for a Ruger clip when it costs them less than a dollar to make equals a lot of profit.

I have a 610 and only shoot bunny fart 40's out of it for steel plates. I would think that an rsr would be a blast to mount a scope on a play with all kinds of hand loads.

I know that, I just like being free from having all this paraphernalia around when fingers can do just fine if the clips are designed a certain way.

That's why I'm gonna experiment with modifying the Ranch clips.

Did they have some kind of Blackhawk 10mm convertible? That would be the one I would like.

I prefer big heavy revolvers, but they charge more for new Redhawks than I would ever pay for a firearm. If I saw a used one for really cheap I would buy it, just because I would like to try that cartridge out and I prefer revolvers to autoloaders.

It is one of my favorites and a big part of why I noticed when Ruger introduced the SBH in 10mm. It is definitely the nicest blued Ruger I ever seen. The 10mm works well in a semi-automatic but it has even better numbers in a revolver.

38393955352_0007d98602_o.jpg

Based on my GP100 customized to 41 Special, I would have to say that the cylinder walls would be pretty thin for that 10 mm pressure level range. I doubt they would want to do all the parts to make it 5 shot. The platform they choose is going to correlate with their concerns about pressure and round count.

I handgun hunt for deer. I am on my third 480 Super RedHawk. Why not a RedHawk was mentioned. I am no fan of the lock work or grip on a RedHawk.
Some seem to like RedHawks, I am not on that list. I like the Super RedHawk's much better.
If I had a 10mm Super RedHawk, the first thing I would do is send the cylinder off to be bored to 10mm Magnum.
The second thing would be to make an order to Starline for a large quantity of 10mm Magnum Brass.
It comes with 3 moon Clips. I would need to order more.
With Hornady 200 Grain XTP's I might just skip ordering an NOE 403-198 WFN-GC Bullet Mold, and shoot jacketed bullets exclusively.
My 10mm RCBS Die Set for my S&W 610 No Dash that I have owned since they first came out should load the 10mm Magnum just fine. I have liked the 10mm for a long time now.

I would do a Trigger Job on it, and add a set of Hogue Tamer grips for a SRH Alaskan to tame the Beast a little more. I think I have a set I took off my 480 Alaskan now that I think about it. I would probably put a Jack Weigand scope base on it. The one for hard kickers that has a recoil shelf and requires the back sight to be removed. This would allow more than 2 rings to be installed, and would about eliminate the factory rings from shooting loose.
The optical sight would be a toss up between a 30mm MatchDot II and a 2-7 Burris Plex.

I see this having potential to be a deer slaying piece of machinery, and a blast to shoot at the range. A 200 Grain XTP should be able to reach around 1,500 fps with no problem at all. Recoil in a 6.5" Super RedHawk should be very manageable. No idea why it is not a 7.5" barrel. No problem securely mounting an optical sight. Easy to work on, and get a good trigger. For deer and range use I do not see a down side to the new offering from Ruger.

Bob

Last edited:
I handgun hunt for deer. * * * If I had a 10mm Super RedHawk, the first thing I would do is send the cylinder off to be bored to 10mm Magnum.

As was said (post #28), although several snowflakes here expressed doubt. :rolleyes:

The second thing would be to make an order to Starline for a large quantity of 10mm Magnum Brass.

Been there, did that already. Excellent decision. :cool:

It comes with 3 moon Clips. I would need to order more.

Hopefully, Ruger's 10mm moon clips aren't the stupid proprietary kind, as was the case with their .45acp moon clips. I've got like, 2 dozen 10mm clips still piled in my "gun parts" drawer from my old S&W 610, so I'd like to be able to use them. :confused:

* * * My 10mm RCBS Die Set for my S&W 610 No Dash that I have owned since they first came out should load the 10mm Magnum just fine. I have liked the 10mm for a long time now.

It will. Taffin noted that no special dies were necessary beyond standard 10mm dies in his article on the 10mm Magnum. (See link in post #28).

* * * I see this having potential to be a deer slaying piece of machinery, and a blast to shoot at the range. A 200 Grain XTP should be able to reach around 1,500 fps with no problem at all. Recoil in a 6.5" Super RedHawk should be very manageable. No idea why it is not a 7.5" barrel. No problem securely mounting an optical sight. Easy to work on, and get a good trigger. For deer and range use I do not see a down side to the new offering from Ruger.

Agree :cool: ... Not to mention, with the SRH's cylinder chambers being reamed to accept 10mm Mag, it becomes a very unique wheelgun out of which three cartridges can be fired using the same moon clips. Shooter's choice.

What's not to like, other than it being a smidge heavy?

A birdie told me that the final episode of Shooting Gallery this season will be on the 10mm, and this will be included. Should be cool with some pretty interesting guests. :)

I prefer 41 mag. in the wilderness. I have more then a .357 and less recoil then my 44 mag. If I need anything more potent I have my Sako.338 Win mag..

Well, let's see.

It's a Ruger Redhawk.

It's in 10mm.

I can't think of a combination I'd have less interest in.

Oh wait! It's a Super Redhawk?

I didn't realize that. I have even less interest than I did before. Sorry.

I don't think it will be replacing either of my Model 57's any time soon. Now, if I wasn't such a cheap brass rat, I'd love a 10mm in a semi auto. Preferably something in solid steel.

I got a chance to handle one in a shop. I was favorably impressed with the solid feel and balance of the revolver. Never had much exposure to the SBH but I have to say they look better in person than in pictures. The only thing that did not look too good was the price. It was not discounted much at $977. I would consider one now having handled it but not at that price.

I got a chance to handle one in a shop. I was favorably impressed with the solid feel and balance of the revolver. Never had much exposure to the SBH but I have to say they look better in person than in pictures. The only thing that did not look too good was the price. It was not discounted much at $977. I would consider one now having handled it but not at that price.

I wonder how much it would weigh when scoped?

Back