Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm Revolver

The Redhawk would have been my choice. The GP100 is too small for a 10mm that you want to shoot full power 10mm loads, Clements states on his site, These guns tend to be very accurate with .40's and 10's and will handle most all commercial ammo. This is a medium frame gun and should be treated as such. Ammo which is loaded to maximum pressure levels should be used sparingly." Clements does quality work and can work this close to the edge but I don't see the lawyers at Ruger thinking that would be a great idea to do on a production basis. The cylinder is just too small on a GP100 for a 6-shot 10mm. Smith used the N frame when they made the 610 for I am sure the same reasons, size and strength.

I think that's a bunch of crap, even from Clements.
I just spent a little time looking at and measuring my GP100 and SRH. I came to a single conclusion:
They did it for moon clip clearance with the larger SRH cylinder. The GP could do it, but it's easier with the SRH.

In my opinion, strength is a non-issue.

At 37,500 psi, 10mm Auto runs just a hair over .357 Mag and .44 Mag max pressure (35k psi, and 36k psi, respectively).
If you can run .44 Mag or .357 Mag, you can run 10mm.

Have you seen how thin the cylinder walls are on the original and third-release .480 Ruger SRHs (6-shot versions)?
Maximum thickness is 0.096". Between chambers, it's just 0.040".
The same goes for .327 Federal in the LCR: Just 0.092" maximum, with 0.052" between chambers.

...And those two aren't something to take lightly. .480 Ruger SAAMI MAP is 48,000 psi, while .327 Federal is spec'd at 45,000 psi.

There's plenty of meat in a GP cylinder - especially the .44 Special version.

"Anticipating that some shooters might use this as a hunting gun, the top strap, sidewalls and barrel mounting areas are reinforced to handle the extra power from handloads developed for larger game. Additionally, there are integral mounts machined directly onto the barrel rib. Combined with the included scope rings, Ruger says it has eliminated one source for lost accuracy in the field."

Aren't all Super Redhawks built this way or did they do something special for the 10MM. Gosh why not the Redhawk. I was getting ready to send my 3inch gp100 out for the conversion but think I might wait and see what comes next.

The 480 or 44 would be more versatile.

Conversion to 10mm MAGNUM is the point of this exercise.

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm

Conversion done, ... you'll have one wheelgun capable of shooting the .40S&W, 10mm AUTO, and 10mm Magnum cartridges, all using the same moon clips.

It's called a 3-in-1 fun toy. Heavy? Yeah, but with the 10mmMag option and being scopable, it has definite and potent hunting use.

EDIT: attached a pic of a 6.5 S&W 610 which had its cylinder chambers converted to accept 10mm Mag cartridges.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Looking forward to the new Ruger 5 shot .22 short Super Alaskan with 10" heavy bull barrel and unfluted cylinder!

Seriously, this company has a love affair with excess metal and excess WEIGHT.

But hey! It's built like a tank!

Don't forget the 10-12 pound single action trigger pull, either.
They love weight, but not lawyers.

Conversion to 10mm MAGNUM is the point of this exercise.
Yea....... I don't think that's what Ruger had in mind.
If they had it would say "10mm Magnum" and Hornady would be selling factory ammo.

DT sells 10mm Magnum 'factory' ammo, ;) , but this cartridge is 99% a reloading proposition in order to maximize on-target fpe.

As far as "what Ruger had in mind," maybe not the the sales or PR department, but their engineers sure did. I've got no doubt they studied up on previous 10mm Magnum conversions done to the S&W 610s (which were L-frames) - by various 'smiths, like Hamilton Bowen and Gary Reeder - and anticipated that possibility here.

Otherwise, why go with such a large-frame wheelie when the GP's frame would've sufficed for handling maximum 10mm AUTO loads, and certainly any 40S&W loads? Except for weight, there's no downside to the strength of the larger frame.

Last edited:
Otherwise, why go with such a large-frame wheelie when the GP's frame would've sufficed for handling maximum 10mm AUTO loads, and certainly any 40S&W loads? Except for weight, there's no downside to the strength of the larger frame.
Why?
Because it's easier and cheaper to run moon clips in the SRH.

No downside?
Yea... But there really isn't an up side for the consumer, either. It helps Ruger. Does nothing for the consumer.
Ruger doesn't build fantasies. They build firearms intended to fire SAAMI-spec cartridges -- not obscure wildcats or stupidly-overpressure handloads.

That's the same question 90% of the posters on this thread are wondering. And There is a huge downside to the strength of the larger frame. It looks and feels like a tank. If there were no downside to SRH sized guns every gun built would be that huge but alas they are not.

Why?
Because it's easier and cheaper to run moon clips in the SRH.

It was cheap & easy for S&W to engineer the cylinders of L-frame 610s for use with full moon clips. Why is it suddenly not cheap & easy for Ruger to do it on a GP-100 frame? :rolleyes:

C'mon, dude, it ain't rocket science ....

Attached is a pic of a .357 GP-100 that was converted to 10mm AUTO by Clements Customs (not mine). :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
* * * There is a huge downside to the strength of the larger frame. It looks and feels like a tank. If there were no downside to SRH sized guns every gun built would be that huge but alas they are not.

Huh? :confused:

We already agree that its weight (that's as in "heavy" ;) ) is a downside to the SRH frame. The remainder of your post treads into superfluous confusion. :rolleyes:

41 Mag For Me

Have owned several Smith 41s over the years and still have a SS 4". Several years ago, I acquired a Bisley Blackhawk. With 7.5" barrel, it comes in at 48 ounces and is a joy to load and shoot. Don't get the vinyl, get the real leather.

Personally I have no use for a .41 Magnum. If I wanted .41 Magnum, I'd just as easily buy a .44 Magnum and load with a lighter bullet... or buy a .357 and load with a heavy bullet.

Yep I agree. I have owned two Blackhawks and a 6" model 57 and try as I might I could never really take a shine to the round. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't do anything the 44 mag couldn't do and do just a little better.

My bud just bought a Glock 10mm and I shot a couple of mags through it and it was nice but it wasn't the hand wrenching powerhouse I thought it was going to be. He bought it for Bear protection for when he goes trout fishing in Colorado. I never understood what it would do that the 44 mag Redhawk he has wouldn't do. I think he just wanted a new gun. Nuthin' wrong with that.:D

The Super Redhawk sure does seem like over kill. Surely if the regular Redhawk can handle 44 Magnum it's seems like it would be the more logical choice for 10mm.
I was thinking the same thing. The GP100 would likely be okay for 40 S&W but is pretty small for shooting full on 10mm loads on a regular basis. I have a Redhawk in 41 magnum and that is a revolver that works well and is fun to shoot. If the Redhawk works in 41 mag, it would be excellent for handling any 10mm load as much as you want to shoot.

But you would be missing the improved trigger and trigger reach of the SRH, elements that a competitive shooter on the clock would value highly.

But you would be missing the improved trigger and trigger reach of the SRH, elements that a competitive shooter on the clock would value highly.
I doubt that competition shooting is the main reason people would buy this revolver or the reason Ruger is manufacturing it.

Back