Ruger SR pistols discontinued.

I've mentioned before-

When they first came out, I had a test sample.
My gunsmith was not impressed.

I sent it to Cylinder & Slide, asked 'em to go to town on it like they do with other pistols. They returned it unchanged, said it wasn't worth the bother.

Asked Robar Industries if they could re-build it. Answer was essentially the same- not worth the money.

The SR line is an example of "consumer-grade" gunnery.
It is not an outstanding design, and it is not one of Ruger's strongest pistols.

If you like yours, that's great.
I'm not suggesting people don't buy one, just saying let's not put the SRs on TOO high a pedestal.

And noting that if they WERE selling in huge volume, they would not be on vacation, they'd be in more continuous production.
Denis

I had one a few yrs. ago and liked it when it worked. The size and weight was just right but had the light strike problem, which I fixed by changing the striker spring. Then it wouldn't reset the trigger after shot. Sent it in and Ruger fixed that by replacing the guts. Even though I might get another, might, I don't trust it. Traded it for a SAxde which is my daily carry and hasn't had one failure in a yr. and shoots great.

Me too. Traded in my Ruger P345, which was a great gun and built like a tank, for a SR9c. Eventually traded that in towards an older S&W CS9 which is still one of the best I've owned, prefer it over my Sigs.

I have been a SR9c fan for years. Now they are discontinued, got me to thinking. I was against the Ruger American at first, but it has grown my. I am a devoted Pocket gun and Snubbie shooter. However am thinking about a Ruger American compact in 45.cal. as a range gun. Anyone have one? If so how do you like it?

I had an American Compact in .45 for awhile, didn’t like it. Surprising amount of recoil considering its weight and awkward bulk. The design of the grip isn’t great either, would bang my thumb joint. Bad ergonomics.

I have an sr9 and recently looked at a security 9. I like the security 9 trigger better and the action was very smooth. I like my sr9 but would not be dissatisfied w the security 9.

The Ruger American in 9mm is twice the gun the SR9 is.
A shade bulky, but Ruger's first professional-grade semi-auto centerfire.
Denis

Denis I'm curious what separates the American from the SR? I've been shooting and carrying the same SR9c for years with excellent results. It fits me perfectly. I know a few others who have had similar experiences. I understand that my experience and the experience of a few friends and associates are not a big enough sample to draw definitive conclusions. I'm just interested in how the construction of the American makes it professional grade while the SR is not.

Denis
Yep, Much too bulky and heavy. I am trying to warm up to the American, but I doubt it will work. My SR9C has thousands of rounds through it and still running like a champ. I guess if I ever have to replace it, then goodby Ruger. Not impressed at all with the way Ruger is going. Moved away from my LC9S and do not even wear my Ruger hat any longer. If the SR9 is a slouch then what are the other gun made by Ruger like the comparison below. The SrR9C on the right the LCP9 (aka Security9 budget gun on the left.

VWUO6gW.jpg

Going to try out a number of other guns like the Beretta PX4.

Denis
That may be, but in 2019, with all the "professional grade" pistols that have been around for decades, why would anyone buy into the RAP when there are other choices that have proven themselves?

It was a bad move by Ruger to use resources to design and make the RAP, it's not going to pay off in the long run. Any gun shop or person at the range I talk to never talks about the RAP, I never see them in an LGS, I don't see federal, state, or large municipal law enforcement agencies adopting them, so I'm led to believe that the RAP is a bust.

For all the other pistols that came out since the SR's were released, the SR pistols remained relatively popular. I feel that had Ruger found ways to reduce the price down to the $250-300 range, dropped some of the safety features, then they would not have any issue selling every single one they made.

The Ruger American is Ruger's best centerfire pistol design yet.

It's a much more substantial design than the elfin SR, built with military requirements in mind.

I put over 5600 rounds through one, as fast & hard as I could, with no cleaning & no lube beyond the initial lubing, and it ran like a champ, despite being bone dry for the last 4500 rounds.

Rugers will never be taken seriously by military or LE buyers, because they took so long to produce a "serious" pistol.
They were always slow to keep up.

Now that the American has arrived, Ruger finally does have a professional-grade centerfire pistol.
The SR9 simply does not compare.
Denis

The Ruger American is Ruger's best centerfire pistol design yet.

It's a much more substantial design than the elfin SR, built with military requirements in mind.

I put over 5600 rounds through one, as fast & hard as I could, with no cleaning & no lube beyond the initial lubing, and it ran like a champ, despite being bone dry for the last 4500 rounds.

Rugers will never be taken seriously by military or LE buyers, because they took so long to produce a "serious" pistol.
They were always slow to keep up.

Now that the American has arrived, Ruger finally does have a professional-grade centerfire pistol.
The SR9 simply does not compare.
Denis

Obviously still not taken seriously by the Military or civilian population. All dressed up and no where to go.
And the Discontinued SR9 still invited to the party. Kind of sad when you think of it. A discontinued product more popular than the best by the manufacturer.
I will agree with TruthTeller. A redesigned SR9 might have been a big hit with the public. A whole bunch of nice guns out there right now for Civilian EDC.

Last edited:
My first ruger pistol was a LC9. Months later picked up a SR9c. Was impressed how close in overall size these two are and the difference in capacity. My accuracy with the factory sight setting on the SR9c was a very pleasant surprise as well.

The SR was never designed to be a heavy-duty pistol.
The American was.
That does not mean either is junk, does not mean either is the best on the market.
Denis

Back