Ruger SR pistols discontinued.

I was referring to your comment about dropping certain autos while adding to the revolver line-up.

If side-line autos are not selling, while the revolver market remains strong, guess where Ruger (or any company with half a brain) is going to channel production resources. :)
I was mistaken. I'm not one to disagree that you invest where the market's demand is. I just feel that the SR pistols have proven themselves well for over a decade and the market is still warm to thems and would warm up even more if Ruger kept improving them.
And the response I just got back from a buddy at Ruger on the SR line was "Just on vacation."
Denis
th

I hope that they really are "only on vacation".

My EDC is a Ruger SR40c. Love it. I don't get the hangup over the features... first and foremost it is a tool, not so much a flower to gaze upon... and I do like the appreciate the LCI, for this reason... Familiarity breeds complacency, especially with something that lives on your hip 14 hours a day.. and that red flag reminds me just enough to make sure I don't have a temporary lapse of caution. But, I did disable/remove the magazine safety.

Did you see the post above saying the SR series is "just on vacation"?
I asked if it was dead, and I gave you the answer.
Denis
Yep, I caught it, and that is why I am betting Ruger will come out with a newer version. And that would be exciting. It is rear to ever hear anyone say something against the build quality and shooting ability of the SR.

I'm in the "hoping it's only a vacation" crowd. (Thanks, DPris, for the info.) Even though I don't own an SR, it's one of those pistols that just keeps making My List, and I keep thinking I'll pick one up. I like the way they feel in the hand and I think I'd like shooting one.

Hopefully after the vacation maybe they SR pistols will get a FDE tan from laying out in the sun and I certainly wouldn't mind one in 10mm. :D

I am a big fan of the SR series. I've been carrying a 9c for years. I've put thousands of rounds through it. I keep thinking I'll get a second one. This might be a good time to do that. I hope the vacation isn't like the one taken by Forest's father...

It would take some serious re-design & a bigger pistol to build an SR in 10mm.
I doubt Ruger would see sufficient market return.

The .40 was straining the platform as it is.
Denis

If, during the SR's vacation, Ruger had a Security-45 come out, I wouldn't feel too sad....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

The SR platform is not one of Ruger's strongest.
As an evolutionary step, it moved their pistol program forward, but among other things slide velocity was an issue to be resolved.

In the .45ACP, pressures are low and slide momentum is not that much of an issue.
In the .40 it was.
In a 10mm it would be again.

The platform does have its limitations.
Denis

The SR platform is not one of Ruger's strongest.
As an evolutionary step, it moved their pistol program forward, but among other things slide velocity was an issue to be resolved.

In the .45ACP, pressures are low and slide momentum is not that much of an issue.
In the .40 it was.
In a 10mm it would be again.

The platform does have its limitations.
Denis
Is the RAP capable of handling the 10mm? If not, would Ruger have to design and build from scratch a new pistol capable of shooting 10mm?

The American is a much stronger & more durable design, I put over 5600 rounds through one without cleaning or oiling beyond the initial lube.
It was the result of a different approach, more professional grade than consumer grade like the SRs.

I would imagine the DESIGN could handle 10mm pressures, but I don't think the physical size could handle the cartridge.
Denis

Not surprised to see Ruger drop the line. Still, my SR9C has served me well and will continue to do so in it’s backup role to my other guns.

10 mm

I have a sr1911 in 10mm and I enjoy shooting it. It's very accurate, recoil as expected and I love look through the weeds in the next county for the spent brass.

I have an SR9C i bought like new. To my thinking it is the perfect bedside gun. It has a safety, very good trigger, my Steamlight TL R1 is attached to it, and it's very accurate and reliable.

Trigger issues.

I bought one new back around 2008 in 9 mm, really liked it. However the trigger was very stiff, after firing around 40 rounds per range session my finger began to hurt. An aftermarket company came out with a connector to lighten the trigger like Glock has, but it was a "gunsmith fitted item". A few months after I sold the Ruger someone came out with a drop in part!:mad:

I regret selling the gun, I don't shoot that much and felt that it would have lasted a lifetime. Have been eyeballing their new models though.

Ruger introduces more new models in a month than most gun manufacturers do in an entire year. The flip side to that is that they also have to discontinue models at a similar rate. If they didn’t discontinue certain lines their product catalog would be too large to manage.

Love my SR9. Never had any issues with it (with the exception of an after market recoil spring that was no fault of Ruger or the firearm).

Thousands and thousands of rounds downrange and she still works like I champ.

I’ve often said the SR series was one of the most underrated pistols on the market if you can get past the safety features, which never bothered me, anyway.

I may pick up a new SR9c before they start to disappear....

Back