Ruger LCR .357 for Home Defense

for too many years, due to my location, my only home defense handgun was a 2” steel taurus model 85 38sp. it is reliable, hefty enough to absorb recoil and priced right then at $200, half the price of an lcr.

i tried and traded off two lcr, in 38sp and 22wmr, because of too much bang in a lightweight package, which made necessary practice uncomfortable, and i missed being able to shoot single action. i kept a lcr 22lr, which i sometimes carry. i can consistently put 8 fast 22lr viper rounds through 3” of tightly wrapped paper magazines at 3 yards offhand in 3” groups.

the 85 is a bit heavy to always be a ccw, but it worked well for me as my one, all around, versatile defense piece for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only comment that I can offer is a 357 Mag discharged in confined quarters is so loud that it will deafen you for a while and when dark, the flash will blind you for a few moments
All I'll say is, on the outside chance the LCR has to be used for personal defense in the home. Better deaf than dead.

I have a LCR357 .. Being I have lightweight 12oz Charter 38Spl . .. I attended to use 357mag ammo ... I found Remington 357mag 125gr JHP a bit frisky in the LCR357 .. vs in my GP100 or Security 6 ... I then tried Hornady 357mag 125gr FTX .. I found tbem a bit less snappy ... So thats the ammo I found that worked well in my LCR357 ... I find the recoil with the LCR357 is much more manageable compared to my S&W 340PD .. The polymer frame of the LCR must absorb the recoil

I find the recoil with the LCR357 is much more manageable compared to my S&W 340PD .. The polymer frame of the LCR must absorb the recoil

I think the frame of the LCR-357 is constructed of steel.

Great gun ! But a piss poor choice for home defense, unless they are on top of you. A snubby is a belly gun a.k.a. get off of me. I'm stuck with one myself and hope I never have a home invasion.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while!

Buy the LCR .357. Load it with. 38Spl +P. Consider yourself well-armed.

Oh....and buy ammo, use up, and repeat.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I find the recoil with the LCR357 is much more manageable compared to my S&W 340PD .. The polymer frame of the LCR must absorb the recoil

I think it has more to do with the grips. S&W uses something similar on their X-frames. It works very well to cushion the shock. I don't know if Smith and Wesson has adapted that to their J-frames or not. I do know they still release a lot of guns with exposed back straps because, well, nothing transfers shock like having the naked metal frame pressed into your palm directly above your carpal tunnel? :rolleyes:

I do know they still release a lot of guns with exposed back straps because, well, nothing transfers shock like having the naked metal frame pressed into your palm directly above your carpal tunnel?

I hear that! BUT .......smaller stocks and exposed back strap sure do give the gun "curb appeal"!

Meanwhile I quite like my LCR .357. Easy to shoot accurately, not bad at all with 38+P. Packs a wallop for trail carry in .357 for defense against critters of various sorts. Tucks away out of sight, makes big holes when it comes out to play. What is not to like?

They offer the ARX in .357 too
86 grains 1700+ fps

inceptor-arx

hd/ccw

Simple physics...light gun = more recoil.

A short-barrel .357mag is hard to hold onto let alone to shoot with accuracy.

If you are going to rely on a weapon to possibly save your life, you better practice extensively using the ammo you keep in that gun. Target loads are fine for getting used to the gun but it is not the same using full power loads.

Perhaps a larger caliber with less penetration would serve you better for HD. Look at a .38spl, 44spl, 45acp, etc.

Try as many guns as possible and narrow down to your liking and handling abilities.

The grips make a huge difference.
There's muzzle flip and then there is recoil.

Rubber grips on the LCR if you want to do serious magnum loads!!!
Get high on the gun to reduce flip.
Remember that in a real life senario, you will not feel any recoil as your adrenaline will be flowing. And while fast recovery between shots might be important in SOME circustances, gaging the use of your limited round and shooting slower might be advantageous is OTHER siturations.

Then use the stoutest 38+P and forgo the 357. I just do not find it that challenging to shoot the .357 Critical Defense or similar in my LCR. But yeah, there is more punch on both ends. And a full steel frame instead of aluminum.

3C

Back