Ruger LCP Max

I read on a YouTube video how a customer called ruger to complain about the same issue with the slide not locking back and they admitted to having a bad batch of magazines with early models and they sent him a new magazine that is supposed to remedy the problem.

Appreciate the review Ton.

Like you, I found the Max 380 to be about the width of the P365. Glad it works for your pocket. I walked away thinking it too wide. Enjoy!

The Maxx is not huge. lol It is nowhere near the size or weight of a P365. Here's a video that does a valid size comparison to a Sig P365 and also a Kel-Tec P3at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GccRDPCjeFY

It's definitely smaller and lighter than the micro 9's and you can see how much thicker the grip is compared to the original P3AT/LCP.

Should still make a great pocket gun and that's exactly how it's being marketed. So, why doesn't any of these Ruger marketing video reviews show how the thing fits inside different size pocket? :confused:

I will try and be objective since I am a Kahr and Pico fan. And I have owned many LCP's.

Pro's of the New LCP Max will make this a great seller for many reasons. Yes, it has a wider grip which is .97 which is the same size ans the LCPll with a Hogue grip attached. Actually for many people this will be no big deal. In fact many will actually prefer the wider grip. It is NOT that wide to be unable to pocket carry.

The gun will satisfy the Marketing Trend that is present with the Sig 365. 10+1 or 12 round magazine.

The trigger on the Max LCP is really not much difference in the striker fired Trigger of the Sig. In fact it may be even better suited to EDC than the Sig. (That will be subjective)

The MAX is less money than the Sig and a front night sight included.

Ruger customer service is top notch. They always in my past dealing with them proven they will take care of the customer and do it fast. They repaired a number of my LCP's and REPLACED some as well.

And this is very important, especially with the AMMO SHORTAGE. RUGER has successfully produced a firearm that will almost clone this small Pistol in 22.cal. With a hogue grip, you have the virtually the same size, weight and TRIGGER. The benefits of a 22.cal trainer or to practice with has huge benefits.

The LCP MAX is Smaller than the 365 but most Importantly It WEIGHS ALMOST A HALF POUND LESS!

The 380 cartridge is gaining more respect all the time. And has come a long way in just the past 5 years and I believe it will continue to improve. (However, that is about the only thing I can see, that will be controversial and that will just be the same cartridge war that will go on forever with many calibers)

So while I will not be a purchaser of the LCP Max, I do think it will be a huge marketing success.

Ruger LCP Max vs Sig 365 size and weight comparison

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-lcp-max-vs-sig-sauer-p365

Ruger LCPMax compared with LCP ll 22.cal with Hogue Grip

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-lcp-max-vs-ruger-lcp-ii-22lr

My Personal Opinion. Since both triggers are about the same. I would not choose either one for EDC. However if I were to choose, I would go with Ruger Max. And carrying around a firearm that weighs a half pound less will be very appealing to many.

Last edited:
Clothing is a factor in pocket pistols and belt carry.
Some people think a Glock 19 or 1911 too big to conceal on belt; however, either is easily concealed with a loose untucked shirt.
Same clothing factor applies to pocket carry.
Jeans would limit pocket options.
A tucked in shirt could/would limit pocket options.
I don't own jeans, wear cargo shorts 99% of the time* and my shirt is always untucked.
My clothing preference is relative when I say a Sig 365 is pocketable.
Untucked shirt not only helps hide bulge of 365 in my weak hand front pocket, but does an exemplary job of concealing the Glock that is AIWB.
So, a Ruger LCP MAX would definitely be pocketable in my typical attire; but, I'm content with the 365 as a 2nd option (AKA backup) to Glock on my belt.

*The other 1% of the time if temperature is less than 50 degrees I might wear cargo pants instead of shorts.

No thanks to the MAX.
The Ruger gen 2 LCP is really the perfect pocket pistol for me.
I think 6+1 rounds is plenty for most real life self defense situations.
I'm even comfortable carrying a 5 shot snub-nosed.

No thanks to the MAX.
The Ruger gen 2 LCP is really the perfect pocket pistol for me.
I think 6+1 rounds is plenty for most real life self defense situations.
I'm even comfortable carrying a 5 shot snub-nosed.
I hear ya. And as I always have said, If the Gun Gods came down and told me, I could only carry a 5 Shot Snubbie, it would not bother me one bit.

Back