Ruger LCP Max

Yep, my LCP is actually a 10th Anniversary Edition model, which is essentially a cross between the LCP Gen 2 and LCP Custom with a Stainless Steel slide.

attachment.php
Love that custom 10th anniversary . If I owned it, I doubt I would even shoot it.

I also just found out about this offering but,while I would love a very small 10 round .380, I personally prefer the LCP g2 over the LCP II. The LCP g2 with factory 7 round magazine is almost exactly the same height. But, I’ll sure look at one when I come across it.

I bought two LCP g2 pistols for $199 and $170 new several years ago, but gifted them to grandkids. Nice improvement over my original 2008 production LCP (paid $319 new for that one 13 years ago), which I’m used to and will continue to carry.
I’ll seriously consider the LCP Max, but not for an outlandish price.

Attachments

• 009D1E35-E545-4FB9-9500-B740FA46CA99.jpeg
    009D1E35-E545-4FB9-9500-B740FA46CA99.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 117
Thanks for the photo and info about the size, wild cat mccane. Doesn’t look like what I would want topocket carry. For IWB I would prefer to stick with 9mm or bigger

I only gave up my Hard Chrome P3AT because the trigger was decidedly better on the LCP gen1. Then gen2 came out and still was safe (unlike the LCPII). I haven't missed the P3AT.

It fits as well as a P365 as they are nearly the exact same size. That is to say, too big for me.

The whole idea for pocket pistols was to be as small as possible, yet safe and shootable.
Double stack defeats that purpose. If not, why don't they make a single stack .40 LCP? How about a .45 LCP? Maybe an LCP 3" barrel would be better. Let's add a rail to the LCP! Let's add a manual safety, too!
I hope KelTec doesn't join this race.

Last edited:
The whole idea for pocket pistols was to be as small as possible, yet safe and shootable.
Double stack defeats that purpose. If not, why don't they make a single stack .40 LCP? How about a .45 LCP? Maybe an LCP 3" barrel would be better. Let's add a rail to the LCP! Let's add a manual safety, too!
I hope KelTec doesn't join this race.

As a pocket gun enthusiast for years, I agree. I had to delete most of this post I just made as I do not want to get into a long debate and offend those that bought them. But just say that I am not the least bit interested int he BIG MAX for many reasons. Get back to Smooth DAO of the GEN 2 for one, and et rid of the ridiculous double stack nonsense. I could go on, but will quite here.

Last edited:
Smart marketing. Redesign the Pistol to sell more magazines. Of course the mags you already have will not fit. And Ruger will only ship with one mag. I bet they make more profit off of magazines than they do on the actual firearm.
There might be something to consider. Their may be some great deals of People selling the previous models at a great saving. I saw one the other day for around around $249. And of course you would get the extra mag as well. And used LCP's are always a good deal and most really do not have many rounds through them.

Last edited:
I went to the Indoor range yesterday to test out the New Fat Max. I brought along my LCP Gen 2 with the nice DAO trigger and my LCPll 22 and the trigger I detest (Give me a LCR22 any day). I brought along two boxes of ammo. One American Eagle and one box a hand pick of every thing under the sun. All kinds of range ammo, defense ammo, commercial reloads and my own reloads.
Unfortunately they only had one that just came in and no rental. So I can report only on the way the gun looked and felt.
The gun was Not as big as I expected, but still too large for a pocket gun. It reminded me a LCP with a Hogue over Grip attached. The mags were nice. Looked like quality. The trigger from just using snap caps in the store was much like the standard LCPll. So in that regard the gun is not going to be a seller for myself. The front sight is a nice additiion. The trijicaon is on a number of my other guns. The Rear sight is blackened out, which is exactly the way I like my set up on Pocket guns and Micro 9mm's.
I think Newbie shooters will like everything about the gun compared to other 380's. Experienced Pocket gun enthusiast will not be charmed at all.

So since I could not shoot the new gun, (I will compare at a later time) I went on to shoot the LCP GEN2 and my LCPll 22cal. This is the last LCP I now have after having gone through many since they first came out. I have not shot it years. (now carry the Pico and Kahr)

Well the little Gen 2 actually provided a fun time. Fortunately for myself after having so many thousands of rounds down range with pocket guns, he seemed like the old riding a bike. Something you do not forget. And the Little Ruger preformed with all that different ammo without missing a beat. I started off at 7 yds, then to 10 yds and then back to 5 yds. At 5 yds, I placed two 3" glow targets on a standard range target. Then placed the gun on the table and quickly grabbed the gun and did double tap to the two target and quickly filled up the targets.
The GEN 2 barely has a front sight. Those that are proficient with good point and shoot skills will not miss not having a front sight, BUT a Front NIGHT IMO is very important and this is the biggest selling point of the MAX.

What a shame Ruger could not simple up grade a GEN 2 with a front night sight. I still have a dozen magazines for the Gen 2 and to upgrade for the MAX would be $40.00 a pop. So a upgrade, if that is what you want to call it, is not going to happen.

I
By the way, I am Not fond of the LCPll 22.cal Besides the ridiculous trigger especially if one were to EDC, the safety is a abomination. I will frequently pull it down when shooting and thing "What the "F", only to discover that the safety came on. And I am starting to get light strikes. I will have to put a new Trigger kit on (which I do not want to do) or sell the gun. Why a safety on the 22.cal and not the 380?
The LCR runs 22.cal like a dream. It is rare to get a failure of any kind other than a few duds from cheap ammo. And being a revolver that is no big deal.

In this comparison they have the LCP11 22.cal with a Hogue Grip and a the Fat max. A grip width of .97 is way too big, especially when you see other Pocket guns with a width of .75. THIN is IN.
https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-lcp-max-vs-ruger-lcp-ii-22lr

Carl the Floor Walker said:
Love that custom 10th anniversary . If I owned it, I doubt I would even shoot it.

I bought mine mostly for the Stainless Steel slide, but then I learned that they made the exact same model sans engraving, so I could have gotten a slightly less fancy model that was otherwise the same gun, but I doubt that it will ever be worth a lot of money, so I just carry it.

It's got some wear on the barrel hood and I've up a few splotches of orange paint on the sights, but otherwise it looks as good as the day I bought it, so I can't say that shooting it has realistically done much to hurt its value, aesthetic or otherwise. But again, I very much doubt that it will ever be worth anything, at least not within my lifetime, and I honestly wouldn't sell it even if it did become some rare or valuable collectible.

Picked one up yesterday from my LGS for $369. I was actually quite impressed. Great sights and trigger, 10-12rnd capacity, and weighs practically nothing. Feels like a cell phone in my pocket.

My current EDC is the M&P Shield Plus. Great gun but its double the weight and not as comfortable to carry as my new LCP Max. Especially living in FL where I”m in shorts and a T-shirt 90% of the year.

Last edited:
First impressions and range report

I was pretty excited about these, and picked one up from Bass Pro as soon as they came into stock for 379. My primary CCW is a P365 IWB in a Galco Kingtuk, however I often carry an original LCP in a dtom pocket/iwb holster when it's more convenient. This gun seemed to be a good compromise between the two.

I consider the P365 to be a pocketable gun the same way I can stuff a 12oz can of coke into a pocket. It's doable, but doesn't feel practical in most circumstances. The LCP Max on the other hand still rides comfortably in the pocket. In terms of the grip, the width is similar with the max seeming to be a touch thinner. The max also actually appears to be a fraction of an inch taller. The slide is significantly thinner and shorter. But the biggest thing that makes the difference for me in terms of pocket carry is the weight. The max comes in fully loaded at 14.5oz, the sig comes in at 23.2.

A few days ago I took it out to the desert and put about 120 rounds through it, 100 rounds of winchester white box fmj and 20 rounds of hornady custom jhp. I used only the 10 round magazine that came with it with the pinky extension. In the first 50 rounds I had 4 of what I thought were failures to feed, however after closer inspection on the last one I realized the thumb of my primary hand was resting against the slide release, and during recoil it would sometimes get pressed up just enough to catch the slide. I remedied this my placing my thumb on top of the slide release while shooting. This fixed the problem and the gun ran perfectly for the remainder of the rounds, HOWEVER this also prevented the slide from locking back on empty. Im not sure what I'm gonna do about that yet, but I am definitely more interested in the gun feeding reliably than the slide locking back on empty.

Recoil was stout but manageable and overall the gun was much more controllable than my LCP, especially during rapid fire.

Accuracy seemed fine. If I did my part the gun did its part. The tritium front sight is a MAJOR upgrade from the original. The trigger was heavy but broke clean enough.

Overall this gun is what I expected it to be. While not as thin and minimalistic as the LCP, it is a major step up in performance and capability, while still being smaller and significantly lighter than the P365. While it won't replace either gun in my carry rotation I think with a few hundred more rounds to prove reliability and a solution to my slide release problem it will see frequent carry.

Back