Ruger LCP Max

Saw a youtube video. Ruger shows it at $449, which is what I expected due to all the changes.

And like wild cat, am happy with the LCP gen2 with Magguts in a flush mag.

Despite my general disinterest in the modern slimline double-stack 9mm micro-compacts, I've been interested in a .380 ACP pistol built around the same concept for some time, so this may be something that I would consider buying somewhere down the line.

I've been carrying a LCP with me practically everywhere I go since I bought it in 2019, and with the LCP MAX being the same weight unloaded and probably no more loaded to capacity than a standard LCP with two spare magazines, this could very well replace my LCP someday.
Currently, the price seems a bit high, but after a year or two it will probably cost about the same as an LCP II, and will probably have a few more finish options too. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

I'm just amazed Ruger keeps on cranking out gen 2 LCP's even in the face of the LCP II and the Custom LCP.

Spreading out the R&D costs and tooling up costs over a production run this long, with as many sales as they've had must bring a smile to the bean counters in the Ruger board room.

Here in Minnesota you could regularly find the gen 2 LCP for $200-$220. Shortly after the gen 2 came out I saw a gen 1 on the shelf for $160. I didn't get it as I like the gen 2 much better, but still...$160?

Yep, my LCP is actually a 10th Anniversary Edition model, which is essentially a cross between the LCP Gen 2 and LCP Custom with a Stainless Steel slide.

attachment.php

"I'm just amazed Ruger keeps on cranking out gen 2 LCP's even in the face of the LCP II and the Custom LCP."

They sell. Imo, it's the best of the bunch.

If Ruger discontinued the LCP I'd look for a used gen2 before buying a new (or used) different model.

Saw a youtube video. Ruger shows it at $449, which is what I expected due to all the changes.

yep. msrp is enough higher than MSRP of the LCP II to account for the cost of the improved sights.

Sights are the only real complaint I have about the original, gen 1 LCP.

I'm pro the sights on this Max model for sure. My Custom wasn't really great, and sold it after Ruger was replacing slides when front sights fell off.

Move these sights to the gen2...I'd buy another LCP today.

I’d still prefer to tote my 2008 production LCP, but would buy a Max if itis priced lessthan $300 just to have in the rotation.

I have gone through a number of LCP's since they came out. Moved on to better quality. I did keep the last one Ruger replaced. A Gen 2 with the nice DAO trigger. I do not shoot it any longer, but keep it in the house hidden. The Last Ruger LCP I purchased was the LCP ll in 22.cal. I shoot it often to keep up my Small Pocket Pistol skills along with my favorite 22.cal the LCR.
I really do not like the trigger at all of the LCPll. I personally will not carry one, but that is just me. Maybe the new model trigger is different. Just curious, doe the pistol come with a safety like the LCPll. I am guessing it does, since it would be the only way I would carry one if I had to.
I saw a number of used LCP's starting to spring up at my LGS. in the $230.00 range. Still high for the LCP but ok in todays market and a much better buy IMO. Glad to see the LCP get night sights, a long time coming.The extra rounds are of no interest to me. 7-8 rounds is more than enough. If others feel they need more, I have no problem with that.
That said, I bet the new LCPMax will be a huge success for Ruger. You have got to hand it to them, they know marketing. And it goes to show you that the 380. cal is still selling like crazy.

Despite my recent thread wondering about all the interest in the "hi-cap" 9mm subcompacts, I am interested in the Ruger LCP Max. It's not much bigger or heavier (unloaded) than its predecessor, but with a 67% increase in capacity. I'm still carrying my first gen LCP in a pocket holster when I wear shorts in the summer and sometimes other times. It has a crappy trigger, so that would be another reason to move to the Max.

I'm going to wait a bit, though. I don't want to beta test the gun and I think the price will go down after a few months.

If you pick up a LCPII which this is the size of, you'll see your gen1 is much smaller.

The LCPII is closer in size to the P365 than it is to the LCP gen1 or gen2.

Considering that the LCPII is closer in size to the P365 than the LCP gen2, here is a pic of my p365 next to my hard chromed gen2:

QIxbBTHm.jpg

If I were a fan of the LCPll, I would spend the money on a LCP22 cal. instead. Given the fact that 380 ammo now is utterly ridiculous to find and the cost if you find any is insane. Spend the time of training and practice. Hone point and shoot skills. And wait for all the recalls to be done.

Last edited:
I don't disagree during the pandemic craziness of shooters stocking up ridiculous amount of ammo, but Federal has had 380 Punch and AE listed for the last week. $150 orders get free shipping.

It looks more like an IWB gun than a pocket gun and if I wanted a higher capacity .380 for IWB I would get the 15 rd Bersa Thunder instead.

Ruger is going to sell a zillion of these. Even though its getting no love in this thread, the LCP Max is going to be extremely popular, especially when prices eventually return to normal. I'll be buying one as soon as KYgunco has them in stock, as its not worth it (for me) to wait a year to save $100.

I remember when I Bought my first LCP when they were introduced. While there were other Pocket guns out there, Ruger really placed the 380 Pocket gun on the Map. They sold millions back them. Looks like they are going to do the same again.

Last edited:
Back