Ruger GP100 in 10mm released

You pretty much have to be a hand loader to even find this interesting.

This one is 6rnd, the new GP100 357 model is 7 rounds.

There are almost no commercial 10mm rounds hotter than 40, so not hotter than 357. The BB and Underwood 10mm rounds are about double 357 rounds.

Hogwash. The prices on average 10mm ammo and average .357 is basically identical. The ballistics for the mass produced stuff is also similar. You could cherry pick between the various manufacturers and either could be declared the winner. BB and Underwood .357 rounds are about double the price of normal 10mm rounds.

You're cherry-picking what are atypical hot loads from a 'boutique' ammo-maker.
That's always the boring reply!LOL But I figure if one boutique manufacturer makes the load I want, why choose the ones that are more low power? I have quite a few boxes of the BB stuff!

Thanks for making my point (again). :rolleyes:

BB is the exception that proves the rule. Other ammo-makers use long factory 'test' barrels to derive impressive velocity & energy numbers for their magnum revolver ammo. Chronograph that same ammo out of the kinds of short-barreled magnum revolvers folks are actually carrying in 'bear country' - ever heard of the 2.5" Ruger Alaskan? - and those fps/fpe stats deflate dramatically.

Last edited:
???

You can shoot 15 dollar 50rnd 357 and get 357 results. You have to pay 30 dollars from Underwood (plus shipping) for 40 rounds of hot 10mm.

Otherwise, commercial 15 dollar S&B 10mm is no hotter than .40. Heck, even Speer's new Gold Dot 10mm is only 1100fps in an auto 5in. With a cylinder gap???

Good points here about how a lot of 10mm is basically just .40 S&W power with a higher price tag. True, if you want the full power 10mm, you either have to reload for it or pay for premium ammo, but my guess is that those here who are saying they'd rather have .357 are already loading their .357's with premium ammo that would cost the same anyway and with the moon clips, shooting .40 is the same price as .38 Special.

I think the question one would have to ask is how much power do they want in their GP100? The 10mm GP100 is the most powerful GP ever made by Ruger, it will shoot a bigger, heavier bullet faster than .357 can. Personally, I like that and am willing to give up the extra round to have that penetrating power and given I already have a bunch of .40 S&W guns, I wouldn't mind having a revolver that's also 10mm capable too.

Not to say the 7 shot GP isn't on my list too, just given the choice between the two, I'd go 10mm.

I admit, I'm a bit cranky with the 10mm.

The internet fandom of 10mm has ALMOST gotten me to pick up a few guns in 10mm.

After reading up on 10mm performance, to make 10mm any better than 40, you have to reload heavy or spend about double that any of the other auto cartirges (ie, Underwood 10mm is 17 for a box of 20rnds + plus shipping, 9mm HST is about 20 bucks with shipping).

I would bet $10 Federal won't make an HST 10mm, if every, any hotter than 40. This is just what Speer did with their new 10mm Gold Dot: 40 level speed.
Bullet design in HP isn't made for high speeds with the lonely exception of the Hornady XTP where the P stands for penetration. If you want that level of penetration with that expansion...FMJ in a 40 saves you a boat load of money and gives up little. Jacket separation because you hot loaded a round...well, you're giving up the benefits of HP.

So, even those hot 10mm rounds from Underwood, BB, and Double Tap, they might be at the very edge or past the ability of the HP to keep together. None are loading the superior HST round. So, for defense, you give a lot up and gain an older technology.

For hunting, well, even BB states on their website their (and really any) FMJ 9mm is perfectly capable of killing bear. So...

I think the question one would have to ask is how much power do they want in their GP100? The 10mm GP100 is the most powerful GP ever made by Ruger, it will shoot a bigger, heavier bullet faster than .357 can. Personally, I like that and am willing to give up the extra round to have that penetrating power, and given I already have a bunch of .40 S&W guns, I wouldn't mind having a revolver that's also 10mm capable too.

Especially since the cylinder of the new 10mm GP100, like it's bigger 10mm sibling the SRH, can easily be converted to also fire the 10mm Magnum cartridge, which adds versatility of use to the equation, not to mention power that exceeds the .41 Magnum. *

* See Taffin's article on the 10mm Magnum here:

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm

The 10mm Magnum has definite applications as a hunting pistol and a long range silhouette pistol. Shooting informally at long ranges of 100 to 200 meters and using rocks as targets convinced me of this. Anything the .41 Magnum can do, the 10mm Magnum can also do and perhaps do it even a little faster and a little better. That is a tough confession for an old sixgun man to make.

Last edited:
FMJ in a 40 saves you a boat load of money and gives up little. Jacket separation because you hot loaded a round...well, you're giving up the benefits of HP.

There's no question that most "standard" 10mm factory ammo is watered-down .40-level crapola loaded into a more expensive case - exceptions being, of course, BB, UW, DT, ... and Sig's initial 180gn 10mm FMJ load yielded a reasonably impressive 1250fps (and a 50-rd box of it was reasonably priced too, as I recall).

Look, if all you want a 10mm pistol or revolver for is to shoot .40-level ammo, don't waste your money getting a 10mm-anything. Just buy a weapon chambered in .40S&W and be done with it.

As far as FMJs, if I want "heavy & fast," I don't play around with watered-down 180gn .40 slugs at 1000fps. I handload 220gn 10mm hardcast poly-coated FPs to just under 1250fps ... THAAAWAAAPP! Major backwoods goodness right there. :cool:

I also prefer my semi rounds in a semi and vice versa. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the development. This opens up both 10mm and .40 S&W for the revolver crowd. It uses both a well-trusted common defense round and a decent "magnum" round in one gun. Sure, I'd prefer different grips but there is a market for that too. Overall, congratulations to Ruger and whoever gets to enjoy one of these.

I wonder why the S&W 610 didn't make it, and why the Ruger is expected to...
The S&W 610 in 10mm weighed a metric ton! It was the Heaviest N-frame I ever held.
I had a 6.5” bbl version with an unfluted cylinder and it weighed over 50 onces empty!
It was very soft shooting, with excellent accuracy, but, it was only for using at the range.
I thought about getting it rechambered for 10mm Magnum, but, couldn’t justify the cost.
Would be better off getting a lighter and more powerful 629 in .44 Magnum & .44 Special.
Eventually sold it and now have 6” Glock 40 MOS to satisfy my 10mm appetite.

I am attracted to this new GP100, which seems more proportional to the 10mm cartridge,
and also has the potential to be rechambered to 10mm Magnum, while weighing only 37 oz.
The Ruger moon-clips are also reportedly designed for finger loading, which is extra nice.

37 oz is with a 4" bbl. what would the gp 10mm weight if it had a ~6" bbl? I mean for an apples to apples comparison.

Ruger doesn’t offer a GP100 with a 6” barrel in 10mm caliber.
Interpreting from their .357 versions, the difference is 5 ounces.
But, the larger .40” bore would reduce that by a little, so, call it roughly 4 oz.
That would equal 41 oz for a 6” 10mm GP100, if it is ever produced?
That’s still over half a pound (or 20%) lighter than a similar S&W 610.

Glad to see Ruger mixing and matching for those guys that like their rimless cartridges in a revolver. We all have our 'preferences'. I personally thought the perfect cartridge was the .44 Special in the GP100 :) ... which is why I picked one of those up (Talo 3", gold dot front sight).... But that's just me.

Also just noticed that Ruger has rifled all of it's 10mm pistols with a 1-in-16" twist. By comparison, Glock uses 1-in-9.84" rifling.

Would not want a 10mm handgun, especially a revolver that is capable of using longer than normal length cartridges (10mm hand-loaded long or 10mm Magnum conversion), which could not adequately stabilize 220-230gr bullets.

If anyone has one of these Ruger 10mm revolvers (GP100, SRH, SBH), I'd appreciate any range reports about heavy-bullet performance.

Back