Ruger GP100 in 10mm released

I will also add that I prefer my revolvers in rimmed revolver calibers. I dont fully understand the whole chambering a revolver for a semi-auto round thing. Especially since there are already rounds that replicate 10mms performance and goes one further (.41 mag). The only thing I could see is for less expensive ammo... I reload so that doesn't matter to me. Even if you don't reload, there are some options for somewhat decent priced revolver ammo. Armscorps ammo is usually pretty cheap. Can be found at grafs.

Looks like it has a full 357 length cylinder. Was hoping for a 45 auto/10mm length cylinder like a Smith.

It will allow for long loading the 10mm with heavy bullets, a plus for the hunter/adventurous handloader.

It works like that in the 10mm Blackhawk. I've only just started playing with it.

sjkIOEwh.jpg

Cool. I’d pick one up if I didn’t already have a lew horton 610.

If they come out with a 3” version I’d probably get one.

Cool. I’d pick one up if I didn’t already have a lew horton 610.

You can always buy the 4 inch and have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 3 inches. I thought about doing that years ago with the 6 inch GP100's because the 5 inch GP's are hard to come by.

Wouldn't do it now though, I'd rather have the extra inch of barrel for higher velocity.

I too am not interested in semi auto calibers in revolvers. But 10mm is the hotness right now and people will buy these. I applaud Ruger for giving people what they want and i hope they make money on them. More options is always a good thing IMHO.
Now if they did a GP100 in 41 mag that would definitely get my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now if they did a GP100 in 41 mag that would definitely get my money.
I think that's coming. With a .44 Special and now a 10mm GP100, Ruger has moved into turning the GP into a big bore capable revolver.

I think it'll end up being a distributor exclusive, Ruger won't make too many .41 Magnums as the cartridge is not popular. With 10mm, the novelty is there for people who own 10mm and/or .40 S&W pistols and want a revolver that can shoot both cartridges without issue.

I wonder if a person could modify .30-30 brass and do away with the clips? If so, then the old .401 Herter's Powermag becomes an option.

I'm kind of an odd ball when it comes to barrel lengths on revolvers, I always liked 3 or 5 inch barrels. However I'll have to applaud Ruger for trying something that other manufacturers don't. Will I purchase one of these revolvers, most likely not, for the simple reason I'm at a time in my life where I don't purchase guns unless there one heck of a buy. I do like the concept of being able to shoot two calibers out of the same gun.

Jeff Quinn of Gunblastdotcom apparently was given one or bought one from Ruger months ago and had a gunsmith ream the chambers out to accept 10mm Magnum, which is a lengthened 10mm Auto case and a cartridge I didn't know existed.
So, I think Ruger is keeping the long cylinder for two reasons: ease of manufacturing and in the even that some want the 10mm Magnum, they can have people do that work for them.

The 10mm Mag conversion in this revolver might actually be more attractive than in the large-frame 10mm SRH they released earlier.

While converting either to 10mm Mag would allow you to shoot three cartridges (using moon clips) out of one wheelgun, the smaller GP frame with a 4.2" barrel is arguably more portable and thus 'carry-friendlier' on the trail as a woods gun.

The cartridges themselves also give you load options: 10mm Mag for woods carry; 10mm AUTO for daily urban carry; .40S&W for cheap and easy plinking at the range on lazy Sunday afternoons. ;)

Last edited:
You pretty much have to be a hand loader to even find this interesting.

This one is 6rnd, the new GP100 357 model is 7 rounds.

There are almost no commercial 10mm rounds hotter than 40, so not hotter than 357. The BB and Underwood 10mm rounds are about double 357 rounds.

Dan-O Cool. I’d pick one up if I didn’t already have a lew horton 610.

Dunno about that. I think Ruger got the barrel length right on this model. 4.2" seems optimum as far as keeping velocity up without sacrificing portability.

"Magnum"-level cartridges in wheelguns show significant ballistic depletion (i.e., loss of fps/fpe) when barrels are chopped below 4" (snubbies).

That's why ammo-makers can advertise such impressive numbers for their .357, .41, and .44 magnum ammo lines. They're using factory "test" barrels of 6", 7", and sometimes 8". The resulting fps/fpe stats are valid, but few revolver-carrying folks in the real world tote around magnum wheelies of that size.

If they're carrying a revolver at all, it will typically be some form of 2.5" snubbie.

A 4.2" 10mm GP-100 is right on the borderline. Certainly easier to hump around than a 6.5" 10mm SRH.

Last edited:
Dunno about that. I think Ruger got the barrel length right on this model. 4.2" seems optimum as far as keeping velocity up without sacrificing portability.
Another issue that was likely a consideration is that length makes it legal for sale in Canada.

"Magnum"-level cartridges in wheelguns show significant ballistic depletion (i.e., loss of fps/fpe) when barrels are chopped below 4" (snubbies).

This myth keeps getting proprogated!
Here is a chart from Buffalobore's website where they actually use different length test guns and tell you which guns they used to show velocity differences. I know they are accurate because I have chronoed the same results myself, and sometimes they are even lower than what I got.

The below is a sceenshot of their posted velocities for their .357 Outdoorsmans Keith hardcast in item 19//A/20.
You can see that a 4" gave 1375 fps, and a 3" was 1302 fps. My 1 7/8 LCR was chronographed at 1250 fps. So while there is some loss, it's not "significant".
73 fps from 4" to 3" and 125 fps from 4" to 2".
I wager that this BB load from my 2" LCR is hotter than many medium range .357 loads that many shoot out of their 4" barrels. I know I tested armscor and magtech and this was true.

attachment.php

Choose your loads right and you can see no loss, i.e. hotter load in short barrel over medium load in longer barrel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 8.25.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 8.25.30 AM.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 406
Here is a chart from Buffalobore's website where they actually use different length test guns and tell you which guns they used to show velocity differences. I know they are accurate because I have chronoed the same results myself, and sometimes they are even lower than what I got.

:rolleyes: You're cherry-picking what are atypical hot loads from a 'boutique' ammo-maker.

Nothing against BB at all, I like their lines of 10mm and .41 Mag ammo, but try sourcing similar fps/fpe stats - and the barrel-lengths used to get them - for magnum revolver cartridges from any of the Big 3 (i.e., Winny, Fed, Remy).

Then try the same research with Hornady and Black Hills, and see what their "test" barrel-lengths are. You're not going to see "snubby"-length barrels used.

You're cherry-picking what are atypical hot loads from a 'boutique' ammo-maker.

That's always the boring reply!LOL

But I figure if one boutique manufacturer makes the load I want, why choose the ones that are more low power? I have quite a few boxes of the BB stuff!
And have tested them.

10mm revolver

I'm for anything that helps keep the 10mm cartridge afloat. Putting the 10mm in the more portable GP frame as opposed to the ginourmous Redhawk makes a lot more sense too, even if I'm not totally sold on auto cartridges in revolvers.

There is a gap in the revolver cartridge ladder at .40 though. The old 38-40 addressed that, so did the .401 Herters, and of course the .41 mag. None of those ever gained much traction though.

Back