Ruger GP100 in 10mm released

Probably 4.2 inch barrel immediately quals it for
Canada but Ruger must submit specimens to
Cal. and Mass. for those states to review,
fondle, discuss, charge testing fees, look at
it again, pass it along to another set of
testers and bureaucrats and then it should
be approved.

I'm torn between how much I like 10MM and the idea of being able to shoot .40 out of the same gun (no I am not running .40 through my 10MM Glocks despite what some people say) and how much I dislike the idea of "forcing" auto cartridges to work in a revolver.

They'll sell a handful and drop it in a few months. Semi-auto cartridges in revolvers have historically only had a small niche appeal.

I find this "re"-release(?) very odd.

This was announced at last year's (2017's) SHOT Show, and press guns got passed around for testing by a few people.

Then... Nothing.
...For fourteen months.
Now, suddenly, it's back.

Looks like it has a full 357 length cylinder. Was hoping for a 45 auto/10mm length cylinder like a Smith.

It will allow for long loading the 10mm with heavy bullets, a plus for the hunter/adventurous handloader.

Thoughts? Well, just not a fan of auto cartridges in a revolver. That's my thought for the day!
But hey, if people like it, go for it! I do like the wood grips, compared to all the rubber thingys they tend to put on revolvers now-a-days.

Interesting enough that I would like to satisfy my curiosity and buy one, but the last three new Ruger revolver purchases have convinced me that it wouldn't likely be a good idea... pity. :(

Looks like it has a full 357 length cylinder. Was hoping for a 45 auto/10mm length cylinder like a Smith.

It will allow for long loading the 10mm with heavy bullets, a plus for the hunter/adventurous handloader.
Jeff Quinn of Gunblastdotcom apparently was given one or bought one from Ruger months ago and had a gunsmith ream the chambers out to accept 10mm Magnum, which is a lengthened 10mm Auto case and a cartridge I didn't know existed.

So, I think Ruger is keeping the long cylinder for two reasons: ease of manufacturing and in the even that some want the 10mm Magnum, they can have people do that work for them.

I'm content with standard 10mm so long as the cases will headspace in the chambers without the moon clip and fire.

I recently, 2 weeks ago, purchased the Blackhawk in 10mm with extra .40 cylinder. It shoots nice and shooting .40 through it is a light recoil. 10 is a little snappy, but not uncomfortable or unmanageable.

I'll also say that given the choice between .357 and 10mm in the same size revolver with the same capacities (Ruger still makes 6 shot .357 GP's along with the 7) I think that the 10mm is the better for defense against men and beast. 135 grain 10mm loads are nothing short of superb on paper easily beating .357 in power, but being able to launch 220 grain hardcast bullets beats anything the .357 can possibly do.

I don't think that the extra round of .357 will make much difference if you're forced to shoot at a charging bear or other large animal, but honestly if given the option, I would rather have a Glock 20 if I was out in the wild.

It goes against my sig, but revolvers are heavy and Glocks aren't.

I've been thinking about getting a 10mm Glock for a while with the intention of handloading my ammo to save money, but with this new revolver, I think I may get this before I get a 10mm Glock because I won't have to pick up my brass, I can play with my 10mm loads, and because I have three other guns in .40 S&W, so I'll always have ammo to shoot in this 10mm revolver.

It serves no real purpose other than a range gun and maybe another gun to keep hidden around the house, but so far Ruger's got me interested, which is more than I can say about the 10mm Super Redhawk.

Like Rugers, or not...gotta give Ruger a whole lot of credit for doing what the clueless clowns who run the show at S&W don't have the brains to do. S&W still produces the N-Frame, they have the tooling to do 10mm/.40, and many people have begged them to produce the 610 again, yet they refuse.

I just don't get the rimless cartridge in a revolver thing. As if there isn't enough choices out there in a traditional semi platform. Furthermore past history shows the 10mm is highly unpopular cartridge , same as the 357 Sig. A 10mm GP100 will be a curiosity impulse buy, then be put up for sale a year later from the "meh" mindset IMO. If demand insists on 10mm/.40 how about a shortened and necked down 45/70 to 10mm in a revolver ?

Thoughts? Well, just not a fan of auto cartridges in a revolver. That's my thought for the day!
But hey, if people like it, go for it! I do like the wood grips, compared to all the rubber thingys they tend to put on revolvers now-a-days.

My thoughts as well. To each their own, just not my cup of tea.

Back