Ruger GP-100 mods ????

I'm not too familiar with the GP100 but I have done work on the Security Six series guns. The biggest improvement for smoothing trigger feel has been installing hammer shims.

My favorite has .004" shims on each side. Yikes ! None on my S&W's have anything like this side-to-side hammer play.

Thanks John that was very informative .

The single biggest improvement in the double-action trigger pull quality has been from smoothing out the inside of the channel that the trigger return spring occupies.

I don't think I would have thought of that , maybe but likely not .

If you're going to use a liquid/paste polish, thoroughly clean your parts afterwards so you don't leave abrasive residue in the gun.

That's good advice and I do plan to use some . Off the top of my head I believe I have 220 grit , 400 or 600 grit and a ultra fine polishing wax . I'd think the 220 would be way to abrasive . What product and or grit would you recommend . If I don't have it I buy some . Although I do have some stones I have no plans to use them .

Polishing the hammer strut inside the spring is hard to screw up and might make a noticeable improvement.

I do plan on polishing these areas and in my head I was thinking of using the proper sized bore mop to polish the inside of the Hammer spring . Is there something better for that application ?

Another simple way to improve things is by putting shims between the hammer and the frame.

I'll definitely look into that . Are these shims sold ready to install or do I need to make them from feeler gauges ?

On a side note and I'm not going to do this and it goes to cleaning the polish off of all parts before reassembly . I've heard of guys actually using generous amounts of polishing compounds as lube in the actions of lever guns at first to smooth them out . Fill the action up with polish , close it up and work the lever a hundred times or so then clean it all out and lube properly . The theory is that the polish grinds on all the natural metal on metal parts where ever it needs it most and if the metals don't touch then it does nothing in those areas . Like I said I'm NOT doing that but it does sound interesting . Would that work in a lever gun ?

While I'm here any lube recommendations . I have a bunch from CLP to high heat bearing grease and many things in between . I was thinking on using the lube that came with my Geissele triggers . Not the thinker grease like stuff but the more liquid like stuff . It's thicker then CLP but thinner then Slip 2000 EWL-30 Or Weapon Shield . Or should I use different lubes for different areas of the firearm ? Meaning something pretty thin in the trigger area and something a little thicker on the hammer spring and strut ???

Last edited:
For metal polishing I typically use sandpaper and polish by hand because I can control things very carefully. I rarely go any more coarse than 400grit. Even that would be reserved for areas that really need significant smoothing.

For inside the trigger return channel where things are really rough, you could roll up a piece of sandpaper that is a little more coarse than 400 to start with and then go up from there.

I've not found it productive to go finer than 1000 but then I don't typically use liquid/paste polish for this kind of operation and it may work a little differently.

For most of my polishing work, I use light pressure and 800-1000 grit paper.
...polish the inside of the Hammer spring...
I'm not big on polishing springs. For one thing they're usually pretty smooth to start with, for another, I'm wary of altering the surface finish of springs because I'm not confident I understand all the ins and outs of how that can affect things.

https://ac.els-cdn.com/S18777058140...t=1523703672_a5cb507c8da3727c4980cd07618ea581
Are these shims sold ready to install or do I need to make them from feeler gauges ?
I have a big collection of washers and other parts that I've collected over the years. I usually pick through it until I find something the right size and close to the right thickness. Making shims from feeler gauge material is pretty smart. I've never thought of that, or done that, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. If you don't want to go to the trouble, you can probably find something at the hardware store that will work. If you can't find something thin enough, you can always sand it down to the proper thickness.

I will confess that I don't like shims because they make the gun harder to reassemble. But sometimes they can make a big improvement.
Would that work in a lever gun ?
I think it will work in any gun--just make sure that the abrasive is non-embedding and that you can get it cleaned out of all the possible nooks and crannies it can find its way into after you've finished. I've never used that approach because I like to know exactly what I'm polishing and exactly how much I'm polishing it.
While I'm here any lube recommendations.
I like (very light) grease for revolver innards since it stays in place a little better and because revolver internals tend to be protected better than autopistol lockwork. You could always use something like Hornady One Shot that leaves a dry residue in place after the propellant/cleaner evaporates. It's supposed to be a very good lube and is very easy to use/apply.

I don't know what Geissele provides with their triggers, but as long as it's not too thick, it's probably not a bad choice.

Of course, many revolvers are lubricated with nothing other than oil and work just fine.

My GP-100 didn't have the hardest hammer fall as it was. I wouldn't lighten the mainspring at all. I went through a box of Tula primers and the GP was my only 357 that had trouble igniting them.
I think sometimes the transfer bar gets out of alignment and some of the hammer fall is wasted there.
Trigger pull on mine was fine in both modes. Not comparable to a vintage S&W or a Python, but better than any other Ruger I've owned. I did my best ever double action shooting with the GP.
Mine came with Hogue rubber finger groove grips, they were OK, but I found a nice set of used original rubber panel grips and bingo, that's the grip for me. That's when my double action shooting really improved.
The stock sights are pretty good, I had hoped to upgrade to some nice Bowen sights, but never got around to it.
http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=a70df550829e974dcd1b4e84817a0a00
Great guns, soft shooting and very good practical accuracy, plus they digest just about any bullet without complaint.
Congrats.

I wouldn't lighten the mainspring at all.
I don't recall ever having any light primer strikes/misfires with any of the revolvers I have of this design--I wonder if maybe yours had a spring that was on the weak side from the factory.

That said, I'm not really a big fan of putting lighter mainsprings in guns. At the least, when something like that is done, the shooter should do a good deal of testing to make sure that reliability is not compromised in either single OR double action.

That said, I'm not really a big fan of putting lighter mainsprings in guns. At the least, when something like that is done, the shooter should do a good deal of testing to make sure that reliability is not compromised in either single OR double action.

Agreed , and at the same time this firearm will not likely be a go to gun for SD/HD . I have enough others already designated for those purposes so if it misfires 1 in 1000 while at the same time being one of the best and smoothest triggers I've ever used . I'm not sure I'll care that much but we'll have to see about that . I sometimes think one thing but when push comes to shove I end up not liking it . Example , when I started reloading I thought to save money I'd be OK with shooting cheap rifle bullets as long as I knew I and the rifle can shoot better with quality components . Well that turned out not to be true even a little bit . If I'm not shooting the smallest groups possible I'm not happy . So except for my AR plinking rounds all my bullets are match grade rifle bullets .

New dilemma of my own doing

So I finally got around to actually inspecting the GP100 . It looked good as far as i could tell . My issue now is that I think I want the 6” barrel instead of the 4” :rolleyes: . The problem is that this is CA and the ten day waiting period . It gives you time for buyers remorse . If i change to the 6” this will be the third time I’ve changed my mind During a ten day waiting period . The other two I’m very happy i changed my mind . Both were the same type of firearm but I changed the brand .

As i stated earlier I have no real intentions on using this firearm for SD/HD or carrying it , although i have already bought a OWB holster for it . This it going to be a plinking range fun gun and i think I’ll be happier with the longer sight radius . The two down sides now are , I’ll need to spend another $30 for a background check because they’ll have to cancel my current one . The other is I bought the 4” holster already , although i may be able to return that .

What say you , should I switch to the 6” ?

Last edited:
If you want the 6" then it's probably worth it to get another background check. I have a 5" and would probably prefer 1' longer vs. 1" shorter. The GP100 isn't a gun I'd want to try and conceal carry so the slightly longer barrel doesn't bother my at all, and is probably slightly easier to shoot accurately.

The only thing a GP requires out of the box is a trigger job. Do it yourself or have it done. Did mine(back when GP's first came here in about '85 or '86) exactly the same way as one does a 1911/A1 trigger. GP's(and its cousins) are extremely easy to work on. Polish the innards(all of which are SS) and clip a 1/4 turn off the main spring. Does very little to improve the DA pull though. That requires a lighter trigger return spring. The Wolff Gunsprings Shooters Pak at $10.50 has all the springs you need.
Polishing a spring will do nothing whatever. You polish mating parts and the sides of said parts.
"...the GP-100 and the Super Redhawk take/except the same grips..." Not except, accept. And yes. The Super's grip frame is the exact same frame. For a great big SOB of a revolver it fits normal sized hands

To my liking the 6" that I bought my youngest for his 'early' 21st birthday present, is a bit long.
That is my own preference or bias though, I just like them a bit shorter.
I do have to admit that it does balance well in hand and is without question a very good shooting revolver, almost one of those magical can't miss ones.
Even my life long shooting buddy who claims that he doesn't shoot too well with any handgun definitely does with that one.

Wow i just fixed that last post . I clearly have a problem typing on my phone . There were many type-o’s in that , sorry about that .

So I went ahead and changed to the 6” model this afternoon. The store was good about it and they had one instock so I was able to inspect it . Looks good and has a looong barrel haha

I’ve had a blued 4” for 12ish years, only modification I’ve done is to paint the serrated edge of the front sight with some red model paint. Little easier for me to pick up with a bit of color on it.

Haven’t needed to do anything else but shoot it.

Ruger revolvers typically smooth up nicely with use in my experience. Dry fire it a thousand times, (with or without snap caps, your call), before thinking about springs.

Then things have changed for the better since the 1978, when I bought a Security Six .357; it had the hardest trigger pull of any gun that I have owned. Bill Ruger had a penchant for doing nutty things, like putting a NY trigger into the Security Six. I am certain that he had something to do with it.:)
My trigger finger got tired from trying to cycle the thing, in dry fire.

I've already bought the red Ruger front sight and plan to buy a Hi-viz fiber optic front sight as well . The Ruger sight was a little disappointing as far as finish . The red insert was not fitted well for lack of a better term . The front ( section you look at to aim ) was canted/crooked at the bottom and on one side the red bleed out onto the side of the sight . I used a sharpie to square everything up and appears to have worked . I did not want to do any permanent cutting or filing until I knew for sure how it's made . I was afraid that cutting or filing the red off the side or squaring up the front cant would expose bare metal on the sight which would really mess things up .

My new pick up date is the 28th and I'll be shooting on the 29th so I find out how the sight fits the gun then .

Then things have changed for the better since the 1978, when I bought a Security Six .357; it had the hardest trigger pull of any gun that I have owned. Bill Ruger had a penchant for doing nutty things, like putting a NY trigger into the Security Six. I am certain that he had something to do with it.
My trigger finger got tired from trying to cycle the thing, in dry fire.

The Ruger Security six has been called a Single action revolver that can be shot in double action. I like that thinking! FWIW, mine has a better trigger than a Smith.

Met son-in-law at my (now our) gunsmith today to drop off his brand new 4-inch GP.

Best action job.
Bowen white-line front, Rough Country rear sight.
De-horn hammer edges.
De-horn triggerguard.
Semi-Fitz right side of triggerguard.
Chamfer chambers.
Check cone & crown.
Check headspace & B/C gap..
No spring replacements.
3-pound SA pull.

As a gift from me, I bought the last NOS machined GP trigger the gunsmith had been hoarding & I'm paying to have it installed & fitted.
Rear edges lightly rounded.

The result will be a superlative .357 Magnum revolver.

It's his first revolver, and we both wanted to make sure it has everything it needs.
Grips remain to be determined.
I have several he can try here, we'll see what he likes when he gets the gun back.

I also bought the last NOS Security-Six trigger the gunsmith had.
Good day. :)
Denis

Back