Ruger GP 100 for Concealed Carry

The GP is a service revolver.
The SP is a carry revolver.

This is generally true, but I've been spoiled by polymer-framed semi-autos and the LCR. They are just so easy to carry that I don't know if I'll ever go back to carrying steel.

I'll also second a previous comment about the SP101 tigger. It is not good. Sure, it smooths up a bit over time. It also breaks a little far back for my hand, even when pushed out a little by a Hogue hardwood grip. I had a professional trigger job done on one of my SP101s and the gunsmith welded one of those little doodads behind the trigger to prevent over-travel. It helped but not quite enough. (I think it could also benefit from some shims but that will have to wait.) Also, it seems like newer SP101s are not as nice as older ones. I have one from the 1990s that has superior fit and finish, and a better trigger than the newer one I got professional help for, despite being totally neglected and stored dirty by a previous owner.

I only know modern incarnations of the GP100 but it seems like a better gun overall. It's just heavier and even less likely to get picked for concealed carry.

One advantage a steel revolver will have over the air weight & polymer types is the heft that makes it a pretty good club in case the user runs out of boolets.
;)

For warm weather, I rarely carry anything else other than my LCR. For warmer weather, my CA Bulldog OWB is very nice. I wouldn't really consider a GP100. It sounds like walking around with a brick strapped to your waist.

Oh, and another vote for the SP101 trigger being egregious. I am surprised a squared away outfit like Ruger let that awful design out the door. It is a long trip there & back over one hella rough road.

My 41 Special is a 3" GP100 six shooter with adjustable sights and it makes a good winter carry, OWB. With no need to wear quite as much in warmer months I revert to a 3" SP101 in 327 Federal (loaded subsonic).

I've concealed carried my Gp100 4" in a leather paddle holster a few times. Mostly when going on short errands. I personally wouldnt want to carry any gun over 30oz all day. My belt is a Wilderness 5 stitch, works great.

Hey now, I carry a wheel gun at least 70% of the time. With the LCR trigger being so good, I think the SP101 trigger just stands out more as... a lot less good. With all these new models and configurations coming out from Ruger, I feel like they're overdue to update the SP101 with a good trigger.

Back in the days when Revolvers were the norm in police holsters, it was a rare instance to find a cop carrying his duty revolver off duty and concealed.

I guess I was a rare one. I still carry a fullsize revolver concealed 1/2 the time, but it is a 44 magnum.

Hey now, I carry a wheel gun at least 70% of the time. With the LCR trigger being so good, I think the SP101 trigger just stands out more as... a lot less good. With all these new models and configurations coming out from Ruger, I feel like they're overdue to update the SP101 with a good trigger.
Or just get a Wolf spring kit to improve the factory finger strainer. :D

I think the Ruger trigger is limited by the transfer bar design. If you don't want a gun that will only run on one brand and type of soft primers, most likely Federal, not small rifle on the 327 Federal, you will not go down more than one step in mainspring strength. Running a Ruger trigger is a separate skill, and the shooter has to go to it rather than bring the gun to their skill set.

Or just get a Wolf spring kit to improve the factory finger strainer.

It helps but it only addresses one dimension of the problem. Eliminating the overtravel was also helpful. The trigger reset is still a little clunky. There is also more side-to-side play in the trigger and hammer than I'd like. I'll try some shims at some point. As I said before, my newest SP101 is the worst of the bunch, even after professional help. Coincidentally, the gunsmith noticed that the muzzle crown was a little off too but that was an easy fix.

I think I just hit an unlucky low in the normal quality variance with this one. Still, the SP101 design in general could use some updating from Ruger. It's a shame to keep it that way when so many of their other guns are so much nicer in that department.

True. Ruger has improved triggers quite a bit in other models (LCP for one), so it would behoove them (and us shooters) to turn their attention to the SP. I've never handled a GP, so that's an unknown to me. Too bad the Ruger website removed the direct email link to the CEO.

Given all the complaints I've read everywhere about Ruger QC, I must be pretty lucky since this SP101 (.327 Federal), my NV. 357, and little 2nd Gen LCP have not had any problems.... yet.

4_F7_BEB9_E_0888_4_A3_A_A3_BA_AF849_CB4_C08_D.jpg

I have the six shot version of the 4.2 inch GP100. Admittedly I've never tried to carry it IWB. I'm not sure how comfortable you will be carrying the beast that is the 4.2 inch GP100. I'm thinking more of when you have to sit in a confined area, think of having it holstered while driving.

In terms of picking a defensive tool, you picked a GREAT one. Seven shots of .357 magnum! That's next on my list. Plus, you'd be hard pressed to find a more durable firearm.

I also have the SP101 for conceal carry and it is a dream to shoot/carry. You can't go wrong either way. Both will offer protection for you and those you love.

"Long" revolver concealed carry

I've sorrowfully concluded that my concealed carry of most auto pistols is pretty much past. Since retirement, my arthritis has progressed to the point that I can't properly manage clearing a malfunction or even properly reloading a medium-to-major caliber auto.

I've gone over to a Colt Cobra four-inch barrel in an AIWB (appendix inside waistband holster.) I carry the Buffalo Bore 158 LSWCHP load and can handle it pretty well. I don't kid myself into thinking it is the equal of a .357, but the 4-inch tube adds a touch of velocity, and it makes it easier to shoot accurately. I still have enough dexterity to manage a speedloader.

This is not fantasy carry-- I have daily carried concealed sidearms for slightly over 50 years, but for limited carry outside the USA.

I've sorrowfully concluded that my concealed carry of most auto pistols is pretty much past. Since retirement, my arthritis has progressed to the point that I can't properly manage clearing a malfunction or even properly reloading a medium-to-major caliber auto.

I've gone over to a Colt Cobra four-inch barrel in an AIWB (appendix inside waistband holster.) I carry the Buffalo Bore 158 LSWCHP load and can handle it pretty well. I don't kid myself into thinking it is the equal of a .357, but the 4-inch tube adds a touch of velocity, and it makes it easier to shoot accurately. I still have enough dexterity to manage a speedloader.

This is not fantasy carry-- I have daily carried concealed sidearms for slightly over 50 years, but for limited carry outside the USA.

Too bad about Uncle Art, but you have a system that works well for you.

Back