Ruger, get your darn act together!

Quick update, had to go to my LGS gunsmith to replace the ejector rod. This puppy was practically welded in place. But, he removed the old and swapped in the new.

She's 100% now!

Thanks for telling us how this one came out.

I'm an unabashed Ruger fan so I'm glad they took care of you.

The REAL question is how did this ever get past Ruger quality control?

The answer is simple .
You can not brag about building over two million guns in one year and make a good product a lot of the time . Ruger has given up quality for quantity in the name of product numbers .

I do not buy any of the new Rugers as I have a number of old Rugers . My son does buy new Rugers and has sent back three of the last four in less than a year . Ruger has failed us the buyer and do not come back with the great service I do not need service I need a handgun that works .

peggysue grow up

Last edited:
Yeah, that kind of QA happens when a company is getting too caught up in numbers, and not paying attention to quality. Considering the number of guns Ruger puts out, I am surprised I don't hear more about QA issues.

Hope they get you fixed up this time OP! ;)

A gun shop I stop at about every week sell a lot of guns . I ask one of the salesman about problems with new Rugers . He told me they send 4/6 new Rugers a month back to Ruger for repair .

Do not think I am not a Ruger lover I am . I have shot Blackhawks for close to 60 years . I shoot every day the weather is good and I have the time .
My range is a short walk from the back door of my home . My newest Ruger was made in 1984 when they were good firearms .

Ruger really needs to shape up and I hope they do this is not the gunmaker bill would have .

I am a big Ruger fan. It does seem their attention to detail has slipped a bit since they are selling handguns faster than they can make them. A friend recently bought an SR9c, that came without a white dot on the front sight. While not a deal breaker, it should have been caught before it shipped.

Their huge success making a good product at a good price, with excellent customer service has come at a price. I hope they are able to make the adjustments and continue to be a force in the industry.

Production & QC errors occur everywhere.
One factor with Ruger is undoubtedly the quantity being produced, and another is an apparent weakness in post-production QC inspection.

Even in smaller outfits, I see things that should not be getting out the door, so while Ruger's feet should definitely be held to the fire on quality, the company is far from alone there.

Monday I was working with a $1200 single-action from another company that was extremely well built overall, but for the first time in my life had to be fired with duct tape holding the front sight still.
Attachment screw was too long, bottomed out, entire sight was loose & wobbly in every direction.

Can't imagine how it was not picked up at the factory when that sight was first attached to the barrel.

With Ruger producing millions of guns, multiply that factor accordingly.
Still no excuse for some of the errors they've shipped, but helps explain it.
Denis

Well with my experience with Ruger, a Match Champion of mine needed repair work after about 1000 rounds. One of the internal pieces had developed a defect making it so that the trigger was really hard to pull at times. The gunsmith filed down the defect and fixed it and the repair job cost me $65. I haven't had any problems with it since. A Redhawk of mine also needed repair work after about 500 rounds. Something had come loose and the ejection rod wasn't seating properly and so the chamber couldn't be closed. This time the repair job cost me $95, nearly a hundred dollars. I have since put about another 500 rounds through it and haven't had any problems. A Ruger Redhawk will cost you about a grand but from what I know you will get what you pay for and then some. Some of the more expensive Kimbers will cost over two grand and a Ruger Redhawk is at least as good as any Kimber.

I have great faith in Ruger but I heard they might be going the way of some of the other big name gun companies, another words, they might be going the way of Ford. I suppose even the best guns in the world can have problems at times and might need repair work but two of my Rugers? And my two favorite Rugers? I hope I didn't get lemons, hopefully I didn't and they won't need any more repair work anytime soon.

Back