Ruger, get your darn act together!

"...it hits the edge of the chambers and stops there."
That means, along with a photo he's posted elsewhere clearly showing the rod tip being stopped by the inside (as in the part of the chamber wall closest to the base-pin or center axis) of the chamber wall, that the rod does not travel fully.

It hits, as he said, the chamber edge & stops there.
In that photo it appears the chamber is lined up & centered as correctly as possible.

This is not operator ignorance.
This is not a failure to read the instructions.
This is a man who successfully ran his previous .30 Carbine Blackhawk for several years.
This is a mechanical failure.

Why on earth the instant assumption of operator stupidity?
Denis

If the rod doesn't travel fully, it doesn't travel fully, and it's not operator ignorance.

He stated the rod is hitting the edge of the cylinder or chambers as he calls it. If he has a picture maybe he can post it here. All we can go on is what he wrote. Not something else. I didn't see anything about ejector rod travel in his post.:confused:

But if he has a legitimate problem its best to take it up with Ruger I think.

Been a while since I had a BH but aren't you supposed to line up the chamber throat with the ejector rod by hand? I would also think on a .30 cal BH this would be even more critical because of it's smaller throat size.

The rod travels far enough to be stopped by the chamber wall.
Pretty simple.
It does not travel fully into the chamber.
It does not travel to its normal working ejection length.

It hits the front end of the cylinder & stops.
It does not travel fully.
The chamber appears to be aligned as well as it possibly can be.

It is not the operator.
Again- if he's run his first .30 Blackhawk for 11 years, you think overnight he forgot how on the new one?
Denis

I just saw the photo and although the tapper appears to enter the chamber throat the main diameter of the rod hits the edge of the chamber. Maybe the ejector rod bore through the frame was machined to close to the cylinder center line? Would a slightly smaller diameter rod work?

yes, please inform the world that you bought a defective limited edition gun that has been out of production for decades, and then when you sent it into the manufacturer for "work" then they sent "a new one" which is also out of spec. that definitely helps those of us that buy a limited run gun and expect a company that offers no written warranty to give us a new replacement when the company is in no way set up with spare parts or the ability to even manufacture a new one.

BTW, your use of profanity, even though you *** it out, is still profanity and is against board rules there, bub.

Where did he say he expected a new one?
I understood him to say he sent his in for work.

It was good of Ruger to replace if they couldn't repair, but either way (repair or replacement) he got a dysfunctional gun back.

I'd be a little annoyed myself.

Ruger has very definite QC issues, and this would appear to be one of those.

Denis

Ruger still shows to catalog the 30 Carbine Blackhawk. Could be as simple as a different ejector rod and housing, I think they will make it right.

Pics may help.

Attachments

• EjectorRod.jpg
    EjectorRod.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • EjectorRodWOCyl5.jpg
    EjectorRodWOCyl5.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,088
The pics make it clear that this couldn't be an operator error.

It's hitting on the edge of the chamber closest to the cylinder pin. It's not an issue of the chamber being rotationally misaligned with the pin, it's an issue of the pin being in the wrong place (or being too large) to go into ANY chamber regardless of how the cylinder is turned.

I'm going to add the pics/links to the original post.

Does the ejector rod move freely with the cylinder removed?
That pointed end on the ejector rod is curious. Don't think the one on my old SBH has a point on the end. Could it be a unique design on the 30 Carbine model because the mechanics of the small diameter cartridge results in the rod being close th the side of the chamber. Thus needing the point to act as a ramp guiding the rod into the spent cartridge.
Have you felt the pointed end of the ejector rod? Have you tried pushing harder?
Could it be as simple as a burr, or rough edge on the pointed end of the eje tor rod is causing it to hang up?
Just some thoughts that might lead to a quick fix.
BTW, I don't see an ejector rod with tyat penci point in any of the schematics from Browells, or Numrich Gun Parts.
http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Ruger--mid109.aspx

Last edited:
The ejector rods on those guns are not all the same, and a rod for a .30 caliber won't work in the larger caliber guns (FWIW, the .30 rod is a different part number), even though the frames are the same. I think Ruger may well have assembled that gun from parts and got the wrong ejector rod, or had no .30 ejector rods left and tried to make another one fit, explaining the odd back end.

(It is quite common for a factory to assemble "odd wad" guns on a basis of need when an order is received, rather than keeping a large supply of complete and non-selling guns on hand, tying up parts that could be used (and sold) on a more popular gun.)

Jim

John,
That's the way I was trying to explain it. :)
Definitely not operator error, not a failure to align the cylinder, not a case of suddenly being too dense to figure out a system he'd already worked with for several years, and nothing that reading the manual would have solved.
Denis

From Old Fuff @ THR:

"As the man says, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

You have the wrong ejector rod. The one you need is part number MR-55-30."

From Kyle @ Ruger:

"I showed your pictures to the repair lead and they seem to agree that your ejector rod doesn’t look like the usual KMR-55-30. The replacement part I sent you should resolve your issue."

Update from Kyle @ Ruger:

The order I created for you was for a MR-55-30 not a KMR-55-30. Generally when a part number has a “K” in front of it, it is safe to assume that the part is a stainless component and has a stainless steel finish. I am sending you an ejector housing screw who’s part number is KXR03302. While this part is technically a stainless steel part, it actually has a black oxide finish on it. The old obsolete part number was XR03302 which was an alloy steel material with a blued finish.

Part of our “Lean Manufacturing” standards is finding new ways to produce firearms while reducing production costs. It’s actually less expensive to use a stainless steel part and to apply a black oxide finish that it is to produce an alloy steel part and to send it out to the blue department. If I accidentally said “KMR-55-30” while on the phone with you, I apologize. You are being sent the correct part so you should be all set.

The "New Model" single action Rugers are NOT like the Old Models and the original 1873. This means that when you open the loading gate, the cylinder does not automatically align with the ejector rod...it's a condition known by ALL Ruger purchasers going back 40 years!

The reason is because the Ruger loading gate has ZERO impact on cylinder rotation, while placing an 1873 on "half-cock"does indeed cause the cylinder to rotate into alignment with the ejector rod! With that said, IF you rotate a Ruger SA cylinder to the stop, you will find the ejector rod out of position....it's simply how the gun works. Ruger can't FIX what isn't broken, only different.

IF you want a gun that aligns the chamber when you unload, you need an 1873 where you must place the gun on half-cock....because that's where the little bit of rotation comes into play.

It has been established that this is NOT a matter of cylinder rotation, chamber alignment, or operator error.

Continual discussion of the Blackhawk (old or new) chamber alignment is irrelevant at this point.
Denis

Back