Ruger, get your darn act together!

jski

I sent back my .30 Carbine Blackhawk and received a replacement. But looks like this hogleg goes back to the factory for yet another replacement.

Got this puppy to the range, put in 6 stiff loads, put all 6 down range, then went to eject the spent cases. And wouldn't you know it, the ejector rod doesn't line up with the chambers in the cylinder. Instead of the ejector rod going down dead center in each chamber, it hits the edge of the chambers and stops there. An obvious manufacturing flaw.

Now, how in the h*** did this ever make it out of the shop.

BTW, I'd love to keep this puppy. Those 6 rounds I put down range were in a tight 3" group at 30 yrds. Dammit, Ruger!

Pictures added on 11 Sept after OP provided them on page two of this thread.
JohnKSa

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102960&d=1473646468

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102961&d=1473646468

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to worry, Ruger will hear ALL about it come Monday morning.

I disagree. This is the kind of info that should be shared on this site!

What I need is a gun company that pays attention to details! This should NEVER have made it out of the shop. What kind of crappy quality control does Ruger practice?

This puppy was sent to me directly from Ruger, thru my LGS. I had no reason to think anything like this would ... could ever happen.

The REAL question is how did this ever get past Ruger quality control?

How did it get past YOUR quality control?

As the final end consumer, it's your responsibility to ensure the firearm is in working order before leaving the place of transaction

None of my 3 Blackhawks have an ejector which runs down the center of the chambers. Its not supposed to.

ruger

I too have had issues with BH difficult ejection. Also my gunsmith said they bottom screws were slightly off but then forced in and half stripped the threads -- is Ruger slipping on QA? I've also had to send back a 38sp LCR twice for a broken trigger spring.

None of my 3 Blackhawks have an ejector which runs down the center of the chambers. Its not supposed to.
I seem to recall that as well (have to check though). Obviously on NM Rugers. 'you' have to line up the throat/chamber to eject the shell (unlike the Vaqueros and flattops with the index pawl). Not auto indexing. Does it still allow you to eject the shells, or do you have to manually push them out (that would be a problem)?

Unless you are saying this does not work then there is no problem.

TO UNLOAD OR EJECT CARTRIDGE CASES
Keep revolver pointed in a safe direction!
Do not attempt to unload when the hammer is cocked.
If the hammer is cocked, it must first be decocked. (See “To Uncock The
Revolver,” p. 18.)
Then:
1. Open the gate. This permits the cylinder to rotate.
2. Turn cylinder clockwise, by hand, to align a chamber with the ejector rod.
3. Push the ejector rod rearward, by means of the thumb-piece on its forward
end, so that it slides through the chamber to push out the cartridge or fired
case. Release spring-loaded ejector rod. Repeat until all chambers are empty

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/blackhawk.pdf

ETA - This reason for this is to prevent the rod from striking a loaded round in the cylinder causing dangerous setback in the cartridge.

None of the Ruger single actions I have will line the ejector up with the charge holes. You have to rotate the cylinder to align the ejector rod. Maybe the OP has another ruger with the reversing pawl and he thinks all rugers have it.

I wonder if and when he reads the manual and finds out his gun works as designed he will come back and admit his mistake? I doubt it.

If the man has successfully operated his previous .30 Carbine Blackhawk for 11 years, would you not tend to think he knows how to eject brass from the new one?

Why the automatic assumption that he doesn't understand how the thing functions?

If the rod doesn't travel fully, it doesn't travel fully, and it's not operator ignorance.
Denis

I also have to line up the throat/chamber to eject the shells on my 7 Ruger single actions, that is how it works.

You should of found it upon receiving your replacement from your LGS. You ask how this could of happened but you said your original gun had to be replaced so there was a problem with your first gun but failed to inspect the replacement???

So just for the record what happened to your original gun? What was the problem with it?

Dpris, reread the OP's post, he did not say the rod doesn't travel fully, he said the cylinder did not line up with the rod unless he clocks the cylinder by hand to line it up with the cylinder.

How did it get past YOUR quality control?

As the final end consumer, it's your responsibility to ensure the firearm is in working order before leaving the place of transaction
BS! How did it get past Rugers quality control...
The number 1 responsibility that a brand new firearm is in proper working order is the manufacturer who built it. The consumer should not have to be the QA.
While I agree you should do a basic check-out on a gun when you buy it a lot of folks who are new to the shooting sports have little to no idea what to check for.

Jim

Back