At closer ranges at first, try one-hand shooting, the
shooting arm extended and slightly relaxed for you
to be comfortable.

Gently pressing back on the trigger, when the gun
goes off, let the gun ride up and rotate a little
in your shooting hand.

The gun should then be in a position for an easy
recocking.

It may take a few shots to master the technique.

But a lot of the recoil is dissipated in this method.

Sounds odd but . . .

UncleEd, this sounds a touch funky but I'll give it a go. Kind of goes against natural instinct to hold that thing in one hand to shoot.

Life is good.
Prof Young

One hand .44 Mag? .... That is going to bite. Be careful. I do standard .45 Colt that way, and it is tough enough to hold on to.

Had the beast at the range again and . . .

Well, I forgot the one handed thing as noted above. BUT I think I could hang on to the gun better with bare hands then with my shooting gloves. And the barrel gets really hot. After only 18 rounds I could barely touch it. Shot some smaller caliber stuff so it could cool down. Love this beast. Fun, fun, fun to shoot.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Never could maintain a consistent grip with a glove on my shooting hand (strong hand), and the trigger press was inconsistent as well...could be just a matter of practice...but even in the coldest weather, I pull off my glove with my teeth, then draw and fire. It's a single action and not in use as a defensive gun, obviously.

For those that care, the .44 Special Rugers have been especially accurate for me, throats and bores correctly dimensioned for LSWC's and any sane charge of powder. The guns seem very tolerant as to bullet dimensions; I've found that with moderate charges, say up to 1100 fps, anything from 0.429" to 0.432" will shoot well (~2" gps at 25 yds from rest). In my experience, sizing them to 0.430" does the best. And I like Win 231, Unique, & Herco for the job. Some soot on the cases, comes with fast powders, but the accuracy is superb.

And while others have found occasional leading in the forcing cone area, due to roughness or by an overly tight crush fit barrel thread, I've encountered no such problem....for a good, trail worthy handgun that'll handle most everything that can be encountered in the lower 48, a Ruger .44 Spl. Flat Top will fill the bill.

YMMV, Rod

One more thought about Super Blackhawk 44.

Had the beast at the range and part way through session had trouble getting cylinder to turn. Turns out I had a slightly high primer and the "clearance" is to tight that it wouldn't turn. I'll take that as a good thing and watch for high primers.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back