Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag . . .

My SBH is one of my favourite guns. The sharp angle on the knuckle simply encourages me to maintain a good grip, or at least that's what I tell myself.

I think the reloading thing is overblown. I grew up with a new model single six, after 10's of thousands of rounds I never thought twice about it.

I think the reloading thing is overblown. I grew up with a new model single six, after 10's of thousands of rounds I never thought twice about it.
You're right about that. I've put thousands of rounds through my New Model Blackhawks and never noticed any problem loading nor extracting empties.

Maybe I'm just such an adaptable cuss!

Bob Wright

I bought the very first New Model SBK I ever saw. It was in 1973 from a shop in Reno. I still have it.
I sent it back to Ruger in 1978 for a new barrel because I shot it so much I eroded the forcing cone/throat of the 1st barrel.
The gun now has about 15,000-16,000 rounds through it's second barrel.

I put over-travel stops in the hammer and trigger and tightened the action with a full "smooth and tune" about 6 months after I got the gun in 1973. Other then having the 2nd barrel installed I have never done anything else to it except for cutting the 2nd barrel off to 5" and re-installing the front sight. Functionally it's still as good as it was the day I got it.

They are reliable and accurate.
Outstanding field revolvers.

(QUOTE) Bob Wright: Maybe I'm just such an adaptable cuss! (QUOTE)

No, you didn't adapt. You were born with Single Action Revolver Genes.

Some people have those genes and some people don't.

Caution though, others might say you didn't evolve far enough to
lose those genes.*

*Those who evolved too far mutated into ugly messes
and prefer plastic autos.

Originally Posted by Nanuk
You're right about that. I've put thousands of rounds through my New Model Blackhawks and never noticed any problem loading nor extracting empties.

Maybe I'm just such an adaptable cuss!

My Single Seven indexes on the loading gate.

I think we live in an age wherein we are conditioned to tolerate many things, either for lack of choices, because a battle isn't worth fighting, or because we keep being told it is right.

Congrats on the new addition. I am a fan of Ruger single actions and have a few that are just pure pleasure to shoot. I would start out with a box of cowboy loads first and work your way up to the knuckle busters if your so interested.

(QUOTE) Wyosmith: Outstanding field revolvers. (UNQUOTE)

So many of us are so far afield, we'd all better have a
Ruger single action.

Mine is a 5.5", with round trigger guard and fluted cylinder. I previously had a 7.5", but the shorter barrel carries easier for me. The SBH is easily the best .44 for the money.

I just sold my 50th anniversary .357 mag for $300. Hated doing that but had to do it. Unless it’s a rare model or odd caliber, $450 is as high as they are typically worth. If I ever get another I’d like a .44 Special.

Mine is a 5.5", with round trigger guard and fluted cylinder. I previously had a 7.5", but the shorter barrel carries easier for me. The SBH is easily the best .44 for the money.
I don't find that Ruger is currently offering what you describe.

Finally shot the beast!

Took the beast to the range yesterday. Started with some Remington JSP in 180 grains. Wore my shooting gloves and put target at ten yards. Very first shot was only two inches high and to the right of center. Wow, thought I was really into it. Well, the next five shots were 5-7 inches low and to the left. Imagine that. (Still jerking the trigger!) Shot 18 rounds of the Remington and most of it was low and to the left by 4-8 inches. Then I went to some hand loads, 240 coated lead on top of 13.5 grains of Accurate #5 with half a crimp. Those were 3-5 inches off center mostly down and to the left. Note, I was not shooting off a sand bag or any other kind of support. I did learn quickly that you have to hang on tight, which is hard to do with those beautiful wood grips. Found the recoil bashing the web of my right hand if I wasn't careful. This gun is a hoot to shoot. If I can find a load powerful enough for hunting with which I can hit where I aim at 25 yards I may try hunting with a hand gun again. Yeah, I know 25 yards isn't much of a hunting distance but I have a couple of tree stands and one ground blind where it's common for the deer to be that close.
Life is good.
Prof Young

Life is good.
Prof Young

I have been doing better with big magnums by firming up the grip of my LEFT hand over my right and more at the base of the grip. The web of my right is taking less punishment that way, although I use a glove, and the gun is steadier through the trigger pull. Full Weaver stance.

Thanks Real Gun

Thanks Real Gun I'll take that advice with me to the range. Query, where do you go with your left thumb?

Which I guess brings up a discussion about grip and the difference between revolver grip and semi-auto grip . . . if there is a difference.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Back