Ruger 57 (5.7x28mm)

I hit up a local shop the other day, picked up a CZ75B on sale. As I was filing paperwork I asked if they had anything new, he said they got in a Ruger 5.7. I had just found out these existed earlier this week. He took it out and I got to paw it for a bit. Light gun, fits the hand nicely. I have more than my fair share of 7.62x25 pistols and a Glock in 22TCM9, but thinking I may have to investigate the 5.7 a bit more. I never gave them mush thought before due to how much they were asking for guns chambered in them. But Ruger has brought the price into the realm of "I may need another caliber" zone

You can actually thank organized crime committing horrible massacres, domestic terrorism, armed robbery, and general murder for the NFA. The general population did not own these weapons back then and the Act had huge popular support due to so many kids being butchered to pieces during these crimes.

But let's random say "thank Roosevelt"

Last edited:
You can actually thank organized crime committing horrible massacres, domestic terrorism, armed robbery, and general murder for the NFA. The general population did not own these weapons back then and the Act had huge popular support due to so many kids being butchered to pieces during these crimes.

But let's random say "thank Roosevelt"
Not to get too far of topic, but NFA was more of knee jerk reaction to the Bonus Army Riots than anything else.

sad commentary on Ruger's R&D. that looks very much like they are ignoring the lines that have started earning them a modicum of respect and instead are trying to copy the S&W M&P 1.0 line.

sad commentary on Ruger's R&D. that looks very much like they are ignoring the lines that have started earning them a modicum of respect and instead are trying to copy the S&W M&P 1.0 line.
Can you elaborate? I owned a number of M&Ps and I'm trying to figure out what you are saying.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

22 TCM is far more powerful in a handgun than the 5.7 is,
Care to elaborate?
Advertised MV for the TCM is 1875 fps from a five inch barrel. 40 grain bullet.
For the 5.7, it is 1890 fps.
Premium ammo from Elite is at 2100 fps ($)

I got to hold one of these at my lgs today, first one he's gotten in. The sights were nice, weight was light, the grip was a little large but my medium hands got a solid purchase. Felt very similar to the security-9 with a slightly wider grip(front to back). I wish ruger had made these with changeable backstraps. All in all neat pistol.

On the bolt gun idea... The .22 Hornet is getting pretty old and not-so-common. I've always wondered what would come along to replace it as a "garden gun"? But, these days, not many folks seem interested in something of that variety. Maybe if the right bait was offered?

Can either the 5.7 or the TCM be as accurate and relatively quiet as the Hornet of old? Either one of the new offerings would seem to be more reloader friendly. I've never reloaded for the Hornet, but more than a couple manuals hint at possible difficulties such as crushed cases. To me, the .222, .222 Magnum, and the .223 were in a different ballgame than the Hornet, and alas the first two of those are both pretty much gone and done for. What will replace the .22 Hornet in ya'lls opinions?

Ease

Either one of the new offerings would seem to be more reloader friendly.
More reloader friendly? Not the 5.7 X28......There are a number of issues to pay attention to that are concerning. The shoulder of the case blows forward more than any other round that I have seen (and I reload for more than 40 different cartridges, including the .22 Hornet). In addition, the charge window is small....the difference between minimum and maximum can be less than one grain. Then there is the poly coating on the case which tends to wear off, especially at the shoulder. When the cases separate, and they do after a few loads, the break is always at the neck. The case extracts, the next one goes in but not all the way because the neck of the broken case is still in the chamber.

On the bolt gun idea... The .22 Hornet is getting pretty old and not-so-common. I've always wondered what would come along to replace it as a "garden gun"? But, these days, not many folks seem interested in something of that variety. Maybe if the right bait was offered?

Can either the 5.7 or the TCM be as accurate and relatively quiet as the Hornet of old? Either one of the new offerings would seem to be more reloader friendly. I've never reloaded for the Hornet, but more than a couple manuals hint at possible difficulties such as crushed cases. To me, the .222, .222 Magnum, and the .223 were in a different ballgame than the Hornet, and alas the first two of those are both pretty much gone and done for. What will replace the .22 Hornet in ya'lls opinions?
The TCM already existed as a bolt gun. It didn’t do well and I don’t know if it’s even in production anymore. Which would be a shame because it had some nice features, like sharing the magazine with the double stack 1911. I think I’ve I’ve seen more of the rifles converted to 9mm at this point than I’ve seen of them in 22TCM. But that may just be from the 9mm sticking in my memory better.

I have serious doubts about reloading .22 TCM, it looks like a nightmare. 5.7 would probably be the better of the two to reload. You're right about .22 Hornet tho and other early 20th Century cartridges like .218 Bee and .219 Zipper, they would all fit a niche, but they're pretty much obsolete and if you could have a bolt action rifle in 5.7 meant for accuracy, it would be more suited for the modern times we live in.

That said, I think the .327 is a better choice for a reloader. Easy case to work with, decent bullet selection, anything from 85 grains up to 130 grain projectile. Is it going to be 3000 fps capable? No, but 2200 with an 85 grain is very possible and would work fine in the role, plenty of power to do the job at distances up to 150 yards.

As mentioned earlier. Note the shoulder.
You weren't kidding, that looks like an entirely different case! Are you sure it's not just something wrong with the chamber in your gun?

If this is the norm for the 5.7, this is a reloader's nightmare and I can't see any reason to buy a 5.7 rifle, not when the brass life is maybe 2 reloads at the max.

Seeing the brass like that, I would rather have a .17 HMR. I would still prefer my .327, but I do wish there was a good spitzer bullet for the .327. IDK, I think I'm going to have to write Hornady and ask them to make a VMax or FTX bullet for the .312 caliber that's under 100 grains.

$799 is still too much in my opinion, especially considering the simplicity of the pistol's design, but it's still a lot cheaper than a FiveseveN, and after a few months it will probably drop in price to a more reasonable $650.

Still, if I were Ruger, then I would sooner opt for a business strategy in which the firearm is marketed as cheaply as possible in order to overcome any reservations folks have in regards to ammo cost, as well as begin producing ammunition and selling it as cheaply as possible.
But then again, I'm thinking along the lines of wanting to really pushing the pistol, whereas Ruger probably only made this to tap into a perceived niche market, not because they actually plan on this being a huge success.

As other folks have been saying, it would be great if Ruger modified this platform and chambered it in other niche cartridge like 7.62x25 Tokarev. Now a pistol that fires cheap yet plentiful military surplus ammo would definitely be a hit.
Zastava has been successful in selling reproduction TT-33s, so there's definitely still interest in the cartridge.

Back