Ruger 57 (5.7x28mm)

Bolt action 5.7.....
I have been shooting the 5.7X28 for years...and reloading for it also.
I like the round a lot.
A bolt gun though? I don’t see it when there are already bolt guns available in cheaper and more effective .22s. The .223 Rem is far and away a superior performer in a bolt gun (and the .223 is easier to reload)

I like the idea and that it's a real thing, but I don't know anyone who shoots 5.7x28 and it's pricey to boot. I'll admit it's cool but I don't know how well it will do unless we can get some inexpensive ammo for it, I mean the cheapest 50rd box I just looked up was $20. That's almost 357 Mag costs.
It depends what you want the gun for. I have a 9mm for shooting paper and steel plates for cheap. I dont see having anything else but 22LR as 'practical' for that. The price of $20 for 50 rounds sounds very reasonable for a gun I might use to put bullets into wildlife. Or a gun that I took to the club in a rotation that includes 45 LC and 44mag.

Every handgun does not have to be evaluated like it was for concealed carry and required 100 rounds a week practice.

I may not want this, but; it is somehting to think about. I also appreciated the comments on the 762x25. That is new to me. Makes sense.

I don't see how a bolt action rifle in 5.7 is what it takes for the cartridge to become mainstream. I wouldn't see the interest either because if you want a rifle that shoots a 30 grain bullet at 3000 fps, there are plenty of .17 calibers that can do that, unless it's something to do with the .224 bullets being cheaper than .17 bullets for reloading?

TruthTellers said:
I see what Ruger is doing tho, they're going to offer a 5.7 pistol for hundreds less than the Five-Seven and that is going to open the 5.7 market up a lot. I just would rather see it done for 7.62x25 because I believe that's a better pistol caliber.

Didn't Ruger offer a 7.62x25 in the 90s in a P series?

I don't hate this pistol, and I like the look of that thumb safety. I don't see the market for a full sized, ultra loud 22-ish pistol that costs a lot to shoot.

Didn't Ruger offer a 7.62x25 in the 90s in a P series?

I don't hate this pistol, and I like the look of that thumb safety. I don't see the market for a full sized, ultra loud 22-ish pistol that costs a lot to shoot.
You're thinking of the 7.65×21mm Para/.30 Luger there zukiphile. :)

I've always wanted an FN FiveseveN, but at over $1000, it's too expensive for my taste.

If you are concerned about the price of a FiveseveN, wait until you find out that factory 5.7x28mm costs about 3x as much as factory 9x19mm.

I honestly find this an odd product for Ruger. They may sell a bunch of them based on the cool factor (as least for a while - and maybe that's what they are counting on), but something makes me think there will be a lot of low-round-count Ruger-57s sitting around in a few years.

And maybe I'm wrong altogether and this pistol is super-popular and drives down 5.7x28mm costs.

I too like my 22TCM, especially with the option of the extra 9mm conversion and availability of a bolt action rifle.
.22 TCM is far more powerful in a handgun than the 5.7 is, but because it's not a sexy looking bullet and is only available in Filipino made 1911's, few are interested in it. There's also the unique look of the P90 and its 50 rd magazine, the movies and video games that feature the P90 that has led to it having a bit of a cult following.

So, while .22 TCM is better and has a lot more potential, it's a waste to bother with until the industry realizes its capabilities.

If you are concerned about the price of a FiveseveN, wait until you find out that factory 5.7x28mm costs about 3x as much as factory 9x19mm.

I honestly find this an odd product for Ruger. They may sell a bunch of them based on the cool factor (as least for a while - and maybe that's what they are counting on), but something makes me think there will be a lot of low-round-count Ruger-57s sitting around in a few years.

And maybe I'm wrong altogether and this pistol is super-popular and drives down 5.7x28mm costs.
Time will tell, but what has stopped 5.7 from going anywhere in the civilian market has been FN's $1000 pistol and in the US the SBR laws preventing the P90 in its true configuration from being owned free of the registration hassle.

I don't think Ruger is planning on selling a bunch of 5.7's and one of those reasons is that there will inevitably be a lot of used one's for sale.

Which is why I'm getting the feeling that Ruger designed this frame to be compatible with more than 5.7 ammo, they were likely thinking of other long pistol cartridges they could make, specifically .38 Super and 7.62x25.

You can't tell me a polymer 13+1 .38 Super for $600 wouldn't appeal to a segment of the US market or that it wouldn't take the Mexican and European markets by storm.

.22 TCM is far more powerful in a handgun than the 5.7 is, but because it's not a sexy looking bullet and is only available in Filipino made 1911's, few are interested in it. There's also the unique look of the P90 and its 50 rd magazine, the movies and video games that feature the P90 that has led to it having a bit of a cult following.

So, while .22 TCM is better and has a lot more potential, it's a waste to bother with until the industry realizes its capabilities.
While the 22TCm may be better on paper, my experience with it left a lot to be desired. I had both the 5” 1911 and the rifle, neither of them were overly accurate. Given the sporadic nature of the issue, I’m fairly certain my issues stemmed from the Armscor ammo. One box would shoot with a nice grouping thG faired similar to my other pistols, another would be double that size. After 6 months of that, I gave up and sold them both.

I love the concept of the 22TCM, but until someone else makes the ammo I wouldn’t touch it again. I’d much rather go with the 5.7 strictly for more consistent ammo.

While the 22TCm may be better on paper, my experience with it left a lot to be desired. I had both the 5” 1911 and the rifle, neither of them were overly accurate. Given the sporadic nature of the issue, I’m fairly certain my issues stemmed from the Armscor ammo. One box would shoot with a nice grouping thG faired similar to my other pistols, another would be double that size. After 6 months of that, I gave up and sold them both.

I love the concept of the 22TCM, but until someone else makes the ammo I wouldn’t touch it again. I’d much rather go with the 5.7 strictly for more consistent ammo.
Good point on the ammo, I feel the same way with 5.7 as the Federal stuff is very meh and the FN stuff is pricey.

I don't think either are worth bothering with currently, not when 7.62x25 pistols are available for $250 and the ammo is available under $20 a box. Even if the performance on paper is inconsistent, you didn't pay a lot for the gun.

I'll take one in 7.62x25, these may be fun but the ammo cost is still a factor for me. I am glad that they are bringing out new guns and designs though.

I'm wondering if the delayed-blowback action would stand up to .38 super, 7.62x25, or 10mm.

Seems like everyone is excited about the possibility of a PC carbine in 5.7, but that doesn't seem interesting to me unless it takes P90 mags, and still not even then unless ammo comes down in price.

I'm wondering if the delayed-blowback action would stand up to .38 super, 7.62x25, or 10mm.

Seems like everyone is excited about the possibility of a PC carbine in 5.7, but that doesn't seem interesting to me unless it takes P90 mags, and still not even then unless ammo comes down in price.
If you want P90 mags, buy a P90. A 16 inch P90 is not as practical as the 10 inch barrel is, but that's and SBR and you can thank the 73rd Congress and Franklin D. Roosevelt for the NFA Act.

If Ruger wanted to make something unique and would actually improve upon the P90, they should make a bullpup that uses the 57's mags. That way it avoids the NFA, is still fairly compact, and gets even more out of the cartridge.

With Ruger tho, they're probably going to slap it in the PC Carbine and advertise it as "Even more fun to shoot."

Back