Ruger 57 (5.7x28mm)

TBM900

:cool:

rnKlBSF.jpg

I'd buy one if the price is right. I think the prices are way too high on the 5.7s. I'd like it for around the land or as an extra in the vehicle, but not for carry.

I don't care much for 5.7x28, but I like that Ruger hasn't tried to shorten the barrel to 4 inches to cater to the CCW crowd because 5.7 was meant for a 10 inch barrel and the shorter the barrel is than that, the worse it performs.

An extra inch with 5.7 is probably 100 fps more.

That said, who is this pistol for? I'm on the forums frequently, I barely see anyone talk about the super fast bottleneck pistols like .22 TCM, 5.7, or 7.62x25. Also, 5.7 ammo is not cheap and there are only two factory options I know of that are readily available.

Admittedly, I like the 7.62x25 more because it's a bullet that's twice as heavy going not quite as fast, but still really fast to what 5.7 does out of a comparable length barrel. Not only that, but an 85 grain JHP going 1600 fps is going to penetrate more than a 40 grain JHP going 2000 fps.

I see what Ruger is doing tho, they're going to offer a 5.7 pistol for hundreds less than the Five-Seven and that is going to open the 5.7 market up a lot. I just would rather see it done for 7.62x25 because I believe that's a better pistol caliber.

I'm not knocking the 5.7, it's a great PDW cartridge... in a PDW with a 10 inch barrel.

Assuming it's actually priced more reasonably, I could see getting this.

I've always wanted an FN FiveseveN, but at over $1000, it's too expensive for my taste.

At most, I would pay Low 700s after tax. It needs to be in the 600s. It's just not that important to demand prices over $1k... at least not to me. I like their thinking though... unlike the legendary G44 22LR. And now that I said that, Glock will come out with a 5 shot .17 Hornet next year... just to spite me. lol

Have had tons of fun with the FN PS90, kind of surprised to see someone besides FN chambering for the 5.7.

Have not priced the ammo lately.... but I do know this - when people ask "How do you afford to shoot that thing?" My standard answer:

"Simple. You bring one box."

Last edited:
This might help make the 5.7x28 a bit more viable. I've long thought that the biggest hindrance to the cartridge is the limited options in both guns and ammunition. The ammunition situation improved a bit when Federal started loading for it, but as of now the only option in a handgun is the FN FiveSeven which, IMHO, is rather expensive for what it is.

I have to wonder, if this new Ruger comes to be and is priced more reasonably, might the price of the FiveSeven come down a bit since they'd no longer be the only game in town?

This might help make the 5.7x28 a bit more viable. I've long thought that the biggest hindrance to the cartridge is the limited options in both guns and ammunition. The ammunition situation improved a bit when Federal started loading for it, but as of now the only option in a handgun is the FN FiveSeven which, IMHO, is rather expensive for what it is.

I have to wonder, if this new Ruger comes to be and is priced more reasonably, might the price of the FiveSeven come down a bit since they'd no longer be the only game in town?

I would like to think so but SCAR prices make me think no. The street prices of the FNS and FN509 though are pretty reasonable, so maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

They'll probably come out with a budget version of the Five-Seven, one that doesn't have the slide covered in polymer, change it from a hammer to a striker fire, etc. They won't drop the original one because police/military worldwide still want the gun and they can pay any price.

Have had tons of fun with the FN PS90, kind of surprised to see someone besides FN chambering for the 5.7.

Have not priced the ammo lately.... but I don know this - when people ask "How do you afford to shoot that thing?" My standard answer:

"Simple. You bring one box."
I get that, but I think after the last panic people realize they need to keep more than a box or two available otherwise they may not see ammo at a fair, non gouged price, for a long time.

What I don't know tho is how easy it was to get 5.7 during the last panic. Only thing I can say is 5.7 is online only type of ammo.

It's easy to spend $200 on 1000 rds of 9mm, but when that $200 only gets you 400 rounds of 5.7, that's hard to swallow.

Right now the most expensive factory ammo that I have the least ammo for one of my guns would be .45 Colt, but I reload that and have about 700 bullets waiting to be put in cases.

Not everyone reloads and I understand the reasons why they don't if they don't.

I'm wondering if this Ruger 5.7 is actually real, and "street" priced in the $500-$700 range, hopefully it is and Ruger makes this pistol.

Suggested retail is $799. Toward the steep price end of polymer frame pistols. Hope it doesn't have technical issues and does well for them.

Suggested retail is $799. Toward the steep price end of polymer frame pistols. Hope it doesn't have technical issues and does well for them.
Yeah but my guess is street price will be $700 or so. That's a lot less than a Five-Seven.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I like the idea and that it's a real thing, but I don't know anyone who shoots 5.7x28 and it's pricey to boot. I'll admit it's cool but I don't know how well it will do unless we can get some inexpensive ammo for it, I mean the cheapest 50rd box I just looked up was $20. That's almost 357 Mag costs.

I don’t know why they keep saying why the ruger safety is better. FN has a safety location that is not intrusive for those who don’t want to use a safety and easy to train to for those who like a safety. The ruger safety is always there bothering your thumb

Back