Rock Island XT22

wmg1299

After a pleasant experience with the Baby Rock 380, I've recently been thinking of picking up a Rock Island XT22 in .22 WMR. I typically research any gun before I make a purchase. All of the reviews I'm finding for the XT22 seem to be unboxing or first-shots reviews, and I'm unable to find anything addressing long-term reliability. Does anyone on this forum own or have experience with the XT? Any info beyond the initial break-in period would be greatly appreciated.

I have one can't give you much on long term. Just under 100 rounds gun has been flawless. They are not easy to find took me about a year to get one.

I have one can't give you much on long term. Just under 100 rounds gun has been flawless. They are not easy to find took me about a year to get one.
That makes you the only person I've found so far with any personal experience with the gun. Would you recommend it as a purchase? I usually prefer to rent any gun I'm considering buying at a local range, but like you said, the XT has been difficult to find.

I've owned mine since last summer, only have 500 rounds thru it. But haven't had a single issue. Mine likes the Fiocchi ammo best. But CCI is a close second. I've only used 40 grain ammo as that is my preference in .22WMR.

fIl05KR.jpg

That is the biggest problem with any of these Rock Island, all steel, 1911 rimfire pistols. Especially this .22 Magnum version. They are all but impossible to find.

If you really want some .22 caliber fun in a 1911 style package try a 22TCM. Literally a blast. Think a 40gr bullet at around 2000 fps MV. It's a hoot, now I'm just looking for the bolt action rifle companion.

May seem a bit odd--the reason I got it was because I'm not a 1911 guy--even though I have a colt commander--but I'm hoping this will be a good "work-out" practice training gun. Hard to find much info on it. I'm not the world's best hand-gunner.;)

Well--i promised I'd report and I just picked it up--things are not going well so far--but that's no surprise, I run a very high rate of "issues" when buying new firearms. I'm just lucky that way. Upon cleaning and disassemble I noticed what seem to be an unusual amount of wear throughout, the "bluing" such as it is is worn through to steel in many areas After cleaning and reassemble--I spent two hours trying to get the slide stop back on--but it's a no-go, a regular 1911 requires a bit of proper finesse but I can't get this one back on. It came with the bluing already worn off to some extent--so I'm wondering if I wasn't the first to encounter "resistance." Near as I can figure, the barrel rotates even ever so slightly and it creates a bit of blocking in the hole. The gun comes with a printed sheet that says call them if you have any problems--in the first American tradition of service there is no service number in the manual or warning sheet. I eventually found it on their website--but it just rings and rings and there is no answer or voice mail. Hrumph

Last edited:
I finally got the slide stop in--but had to rotate the barrel shroud just right--hold the slide back and depress the safety detente pin all at the same time.

I took it out and fired it--it failed to feed, fire and eject every type of ammunition I bought at least 50 % of the time; some of the ammo (hornady's 30 gr v-max) failed 100% of the time. The only ammo that came even close to repeating with any reliability was CCI's target 40 grain, it made it to maybe 50% failure rate--which is actually good compared to the rest.

The manual recommends using nickel-plated cartridges--which is fine except that they aren't available anywhere that I could find. It also says, in effect, don't worry, malfunctioning is normal, give it 500 cartridges before sending back for warranty work. Fine, at the wildly over-priced price point they sell at they should have included 1,000 rounds of nickle-plated stuff to get you to the promised land.

If you want a gun that doesn't shoot, arrives scratched and will leave you feeling like you've been raped in the nether region--then this is the gun for you!

Wow!
That sucks!
This part isn't going to make you feel better:
Shortly after I bought mine 2 years ago, my older brother asked me to find one for him. His has been error free as well, again using 40gr ammo... from CCI and Winchester in his case.
Ours didnt come with any finish wear.
Best of luck.

I called and left a message--I was sent an e-mail with a link to a video--their procedure ends up using the same solution I eventually figured out on my own--or alternatively removing the safety and safety plunger. What a PIA just to strip and clean. I cleaned the gun again today and it was filled with brass shavings--no surprise there considering how often it jammed. Someone mentioned that I had to make sure that oil stayed off the extractor and breech face--I knew about that having read the manual--but keeping oil out of particular areas while oiling and cleaning others is a tall order for a semi-auto gun.

Actually I'm glad to hear you and your brother have reliably running guns--do you have a particular cleaning regimen and technique for shooting that you find works well?

That's a damn shame to have to put up with that kind of crap with a brand new pistol. Especially one that has been out as long as that one has. And there is absolutely zero excuse for it to have finish wear on a brand new gun.

And it's preposterous to tell you, that you to have to struggle with having to fire 500 rounds through it, before sending in a gun that won't run like it's supposed to right out of the box. Could you imagine if Ruger told their customers this with their Mark IV's? Or Browning with their Buckmark's? People would be screaming.

This all shows a lack of proper fit and finish from the factory. Or else a flawed design. Or all of the above. These guns are not like Les Baer 1911's, that cost well into 4 digits. Which are purposely hand fit tight at the factory to assure high accuracy.

And we wonder why there is so much crap being manufactured today. 50 years ago they would have those guns coming back on rubber bands. And they would not be in business very long. Because gun shops wouldn't carry them for fear of alienating their customers. And telling you it will only run right on a certain type of expensive, hard to find, Nickel plated, ammunition is ridiculous. They should find out WHY it won't feed on any ammo. Just like all of their competitors guns will.

It's one thing to recommend High Velocity. Or else stay away from a certain unpopular brand. (Much like North American Arms say's in their Mini Revolver manuals, to not use PMC ammunition).

Quality today appears to be hit or miss on so many durable goods. And companies just seem to let it slide, hoping to get away with it. Rather than taking the time and effort to correct the problem for good. I think one company that is constantly striving to improve their quality, along with their customer base is Harbor Freight.

The quality on many of their products like power tools and wrenches, as well as gas powered pumps and generators, has improved vastly in the last decade. And their reputation and sales reflect this. As do their customer reviews. Many of their higher grade products now offer better guarantees, than those from their major competitors, that are being sold at Lowe's and Home Depot for much more. Their business has become very successful due to that fact.

These gun companies better start stepping up to the plate. And stop relying on political scares, or restrictive gun laws to move their products in a panic. Every time people get desperate. Sooner or later that bridge will always collapse under it's own weight. Because it was never right to begin with. And that's a lousy way to run a manufacturing business.

I did more practicing with the gun. The triggerpull is listed as 4-6 lbs. They carefully avoid saying it's adjustable, because it really isn't; the trigger shoe function is unpredictable--some times the trigger will break and sometimes it won't depending what setting you have and how much of the trigger shoe is covered with your finger. Oh, but it gets worse. The barrel lug does not sit in the lower frame solidly, there is enough play so that the lug jiggles a bit. Did I already mention the dime store spray paint finish that comes off easily? Working the slide can only be done by gripping the serration on the slide--after doing that a dozen or so times your going to putting a hurt on your fingers, it's harder to work than my colt commander. The slide stop insert procedure is ridiculous. Notice by the end of the video the technician himself can't get the stop on or off without removing the safety plunger. I can tell you why--the play in the barrel lug and shroud in the frame misaligns the slide stop holes. Turning the assembly upside down isn't going to get you there either.

Last edited:
Quality today appears to be hit or miss on so many durable goods.
I think a lot of that is due to the fact that very little is actually made in the US anymore--many businesses are nothing more than low-overhead middleman pushers. Look at the empire Bezos made by being an efficient pusher. Lots of Americans are dying right now because our domestic production capacity was caught short--we'll likely see that pattern repeated with vaccines. But I digress into forbidden territory.;)

I just picked one up Wednesday from a local Pawn Shop/Gun Store that advertises on Armslist. Found it by accident when I was looking at a Micro Roni they'd just gotten in for the Glock 17. They seem to get things that nobody else can for some reason so I was very surprised that the XT22 was still in stock when I called. I have wanted a 22mag auto for a while and for $453 OTD I couldn't resist. Got it home in less than an hour(I love living in a free State where they take CCW for BGC) and actually read the instructions to break it down, yes it is a PITA, and mine showed no signs of wear at all. It did show signs of having been fired as the barrel had a bit of black residue and the bolt face as well. Then I spotted the test target in the box which explained that. After cleaning and lubing it, re-assembly was fairly easy once I got the guide rod in place until, as Stagpanther noted, I got to the slide lock and couldn't get it back in all the way. Upon further examination, I noticed that the plunger it snaps against is a bit longer than my 1911's and the slide lock wouldn't depress it far enough to clear. Not having three hands, I had to figure out how to hold the slide in position with one hand, left hand on top of gun with index finger in trigger guard and a firm grip, then using a small punch in my right hand to push the plunger in I could press the slide lock back in with my left thumb. Oh yeah, you have to hold your head just right, too. Having read the ezine review, I figured I could do as they did and replace the slide lock with one that doesn't have the detent and maybe the slide would actually lock back on an empty magazine. I have an extra one I replaced with an extended version so I wrestled with it once again and got it installed and it does lock back, sort of. The slide lock doesn't engage all the way due to the weak magazine spring but it might work OK, I'll know when I get to the range. Heading there either today or Monday, depending on the weather. It is supposed to hit 99 today but only 80 on Monday. I'll report back as to how it goes. Luckily I have a brick of Hornady Critical Defense with nickle casings to run through it so I hope they work.

Back