Ripped-off on a S&W 629-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do know that there are tons of counterfeit knives for sale on Gunbroker.
I offered to point them out on a regular basis-but they weren't interested.

If you collect and buy stuff (guns) On line a lot you will get burnt at some point .
After years of good luck I got mine I bought a Ruger with Mag-Na-Port Custom work .
I bought this Ruger off Gun Broker from a very good shop and the Revolver looks very good . Now the problem it was not built well from Mag-Na-Port and Needs a lot of help . The Revolver was built in 1976 i bought it used and unfired last summer .
I am having it fixed but not by Mag-Na-port that told me to pound sand .

I do know that there are tons of counterfeit knives for sale on Gunbroker. I offered to point them out on a regular basis-but they weren't interested.

I have some interest and buy from time to time some fairly high end knives and axes. You don't even buy them on Amazon due to the amount of counterfeits out there.

*UPDATE*

Smith & Wesson Performance Center confirmed the revolver is is need of repair and issued me estimate for parts and labor. According to S&W, the side plate needs to be replaced and fitted, and the frame refinished to match new plate. Also the Trigger Pin and Locking Block Coiled Pin need to be replaced. I forwarded this documentation to the seller who replied "One of our Managers will be in touch with S&W right away. We will find out an ETA for repairs. " B&B Guns ("gomoose02") clearly has NO intention of refunding my money.

So, since I did NOT agree to purchase a damaged OR a factory refurbished revolver I am not authorizing repair, and I am going to have to contact the Attorney General of ND and report them for Deceptive Business Practices and Internet Fraud.

PLEASE avoid this Gunbroker seller, and feel free to spread the word about this shyster to friends.

~

Smith & Wesson Performance Center confirmed the revolver is is need of repair and issued me estimate for parts and labor. According to S&W, the side plate needs to be replaced and fitted, and the frame refinished to match new plate. Also the Trigger Pin and Locking Block Coiled Pin need to be replaced. I forwarded this documentation to the seller who replied "One of our Managers will be in touch with S&W right away. We will find out an ETA for repairs." B&B Guns ("gomoose02") clearly has NO intention of refunding my money.

Why did you attempt to 'authorize' the seller to contact S&W by forwarding him S&W's repair statement & appraisal?

Do you/did you expect the seller to pay S&W for any repair/replacement/refinishing to this revolver the factory determines is necessary?

So, since I did NOT agree to purchase * * * a factory refurbished revolver I am not authorizing repair,

:rolleyes:

Dude, focus. It's not a 'factory refurbished revolver' until (a) S&W actually receives the gun and (b) a factory tech repairs or 'refurbs' it. That hasn't happened yet.

* * * and I am going to have to contact the Attorney General of ND and report them for Deceptive Business Practices and Internet Fraud.

Yeah, right ...

I'm sure the rather not-busy AG of ND will be gittin' right on that. :rolleyes:

If they’re going to pay for the repairs why not just keep the gun? It’s not going to have any effect on the performance and if anything you’ll probably be better off after the factory does their work. It’s not like the work is being done at Bubba’s Kitchen Top Gun Shop. The factory will be able to “refinish” the stainless steel and the gun will look like new.

Replacing pins is not something I would even want S&W to do. They are saying that when a new side plate is fitted, the current pins will not line up. Yikes. I would not want that repaired revolver and I'm not very fussy.

The OP is saying he did not buy a factory refurbished gun which is what it will be if he agrees to let S&W fix it. He paid a premium in order to receive a, better than usual, firearm. That's not what he received.

*UPDATE*

Smith & Wesson Performance Center confirmed the revolver is is need of repair and issued me estimate for parts and labor. According to S&W, the side plate needs to be replaced and fitted, and the frame refinished to match new plate. Also the Trigger Pin and Locking Block Coiled Pin need to be replaced. I forwarded this documentation to the seller who replied "One of our Managers will be in touch with S&W right away. We will find out an ETA for repairs. " B&B Guns ("gomoose02") clearly has NO intention of refunding my money.

So, since I did NOT agree to purchase a damaged OR a factory refurbished revolver I am not authorizing repair, and I am going to have to contact the Attorney General of ND and report them for Deceptive Business Practices and Internet Fraud.

PLEASE avoid this Gunbroker seller, and feel free to spread the word about this shyster to friends.

~
What's the estimate for the repair? Maybe get the seller to pay for it? My condolences..a can of worms you clearly didn't sign up for..

At this point, I would suggest letting S&W make it whole if the seller is willing to pay for it. And maybe even if they aren't.

Good Luck.

While I agree that the S&W letter will provide evidence of fraud, and that your credit card company may give you a refund- your issue is with the seller, not GB. Have you demanded a refund directly from the seller?

The OP states its a "used gun" so whats the problem with having the gun fixed by S&W on the sellers dime. Why didn't you inspect the gun? Accepting the gun without inspection is on you. You could have refused the gun. Why didn't the gun smith at your FFL remove the side plate? Is he not a gunsmith?

The OP states its a "used gun" so whats the problem with having the gun fixed by S&W on the sellers dime. Why didn't you inspect the gun? Accepting the gun without inspection is on you. You could have refused the gun. Why didn't the gun smith at your FFL remove the side plate? Is he not a gunsmith?

It's useful to read all the thread and what the OP has said along the way.

tipoc

Ripped-off on a S&W 629-1

t4terrific- Have you actually READ the thread?
Obviously not....

Tightening the screws is just too much, though.

Did you even look at the pictures in the opening post? There’s a crease in the plate for crying out loud! It’s in the pictures!

I thought you were joking, as nobody using a rational thought would think you had stated a plausible solution to the problem (if they saw the pictures).

You kept popping off about tightening screws, until you stood corrected.

Then you started popping off about going directly to the seller and demanding a refund.

Again, didn’t you even read the opening post?

The OP said the seller would not even discuss a refund without a letter from Smith & Wesson.

Stand corrected. You’ve just added to the chaos of the thread without paying attention to word and pictures in the original post.

Tighten them screws!

Last edited:
People see things in pictures differently. What I saw appeared to be a loose side plate.
I can assure you my experience with guns is extensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back